My wish for a Band

JohnnyG

Honorary Lifetime CEO
Staff member
With improved skills this would be my choice for a band. All of these instruments coming together to play in unison. Fantastic. I wore out my T-shirt with the inscription, "If it ain't got brass, it ain't a band" My opinion of course. What say you.??

”Bay area funk". Love it, especially during the Rocco Prestia & Dave Garibaldi era.

I would be awesome playing in a band like that. I just figured out what I’m watching today! (y)(y)
I just sent my promo material to a similar band this morning. I don't know what I'm going to do if I get the job. I mean I'm single, with no debt, and no day job. My only limitation is a dog that bites people. This shouldn't affect my ability to go on tour should it?

I just sent my promo material to a similar band this morning. I don't know what I'm going to do if I get the job. I mean I'm single, with no debt, and no day job. My only limitation is a dog that bites people. This shouldn't affect my ability to go on tour should it?
Sounds like a killer opportunity. With a dog like that, there should be no reason to fear leaving your kit set up, while you grab some coffee. LOL!

While brass can be appealing in some instances, I prefer to play in a self-contained trio. Why? It's a simple matter of odds. First, there's a positive correlation between people and problems. As the first number grows, so does the second. Hence, minimize the number of participants, and the chances of discord decrease in turn. Second, in a trio, namely one that involves a drummer, a guitarist, and a bassist, the vocalist will generally be the guitarist or the bassist, meaning the singer also plays an instrument. I've found singers who are also guitarists or bassists to be more down to earth than those who just sing. Sometimes, sole singers are also attention-seeking thespians. I'd rather leave drama in the parking lot. Finally, my primary genre is country. Brass really has no place there. If I'm adding a fourth musician, he or she will be a fiddle player, not a trombonist.

Again, nothing against brass. It just doesn't conform to my ideal band vision.

Sounds like a killer opportunity. With a dog like that, there should be no reason to fear leaving your kit set up, while you grab some coffee. LOL!
Never anchor a dog to a bass drum spur!

While brass can be appealing in some instances, I prefer to play in a self-contained trio. Why? It's a simple matter of odds. First, there's a positive correlation between people and problems. As the first number grows, so does the second. Hence, minimize the number of participants, and the chances of discord decrease in turn. Second, in a trio, namely one that involves a drummer, a guitarist, and a bassist, the vocalist will generally be the guitarist or the bassist, meaning the singer also plays an instrument. I've found singers who are also guitarists or bassists to be more down to earth than those who just sing. Sometimes, sole singers are also attention-seeking thespians. I'd rather leave drama in the parking lot. Finally, my primary genre is country. Brass really has no place there. If I'm adding a fourth musician, he or she will be a fiddle player, not a trombonist.

Again, nothing against brass. It just doesn't conform to my ideal band vision.

I agree with this except many singer-songwriters who play an instrument are complete pains.

Last edited:
I agree with this except many singer-songwriters who play an instrument to be complete pains.

No question there, Dale. The major difference for me is that a singer who also plays guitar or bass is less likely to attempt to dance. Dancing singers annoy me. If there's anyone at whom I want to throw rotten vegetables amid a performance, it's a dancing singer.

Well I got a response. They liked my promo and just waiting to work out an audition. Yay!!!

Well I got a response. They liked my promo and just waiting to work out an audition. Yay!!!

Congrats. Go in and get it done. Remember, an audition means they like your playing already. You've got nothing to be stressed about and even less to lose. Just tear it up and win them over.

Congrats. Go in and get it done. Remember, an audition means they like your playing already. You've got nothing to be stressed about and even less to lose. Just tear it up and win them over.
Thanks MJ! I'm feeling really good. I've been playing alot the last year (practicing at home mostly, plus a couple of bands) and feel on top of my game. My hands have improved greatly and I'm ready to go!!

EDIT: My only issue is the multi-colored TAMA kit. I could use the Gretsch Catalina Club 3-pc I suppose. It's cheap and I could leave it somewhere. Otherwise, anyone know how hard it would be to get some bumwrap on the TAMAs?

Thanks MJ! I'm feeling really good. I've been playing alot the last year (practicing at home mostly, plus a couple of bands) and feel on top of my game. My hands have improved greatly and I'm ready to go!!

EDIT: My only issue is the multi-colored TAMA kit. I could use the Gretsch Catalina Club 3-pc I suppose. It's cheap and I could leave it somewhere. Otherwise, anyone know how hard it would be to get some bumwrap on the TAMAs?
Wouldn't be hard to do a wrap. Just time consuming, but simple enough to do. As long as the old wrap comes off easily.

Wouldn't be hard to do a wrap. Just time consuming, but simple enough to do. As long as the old wrap comes off easily.
I was thinking of that temporary wrap stuff. I forget the brand. It lays on top without any glue or adhesive.

I passed the phone test. The bass player likes me. They sent me a songlist and will send me drumless backing tracks tomorrow.

But I'm not too excited to know I may not like them. Ahh such is life.

Back