Floor tom sounds choked, do any of those leg attachments work?

This is all very cool stuff. I wasn't aware of such things...very cool. My main kit, the 16" floor tom is plenty deep-sounding enough, but my smaller kit with the 14" floor tom....I gotta get me some and try it on that one, certainly!
Thanks!

I've not had any issues w/ my Drum Workshop floor toms and currently use DW's aluminum legs instead of the heavier steel ones to A) lighten my hardware case, and B) Having less weight attached to the shell.

I'm curious if anyone has used the Pearl feet on DW's floor tom legs. If so, did you notice a significant difference?

The Pearl feet can be a little too big and bulky. Here's a cheaper and easier solution:

Get some 2" thick foam from a craft or hobby store and cut the foam into little squares, so that they are small to transport but big enough that your floor tom rubber foot fits on it easily. Place one foam square under each floor tom leg. That way, the floor tom is actually resting and "floating" on the foam and not the floor. Works great and is less bulky, and best of all, cheap! Plus, the three small foam pieces easily fit into a stick or cymbal bag and depending on the size of the foam you buy, you can easily outfit multiple floor toms with one piece of foam, all for less than half the price of the Pearl feet.

I sometimes get a very choked sound from my floor tom. I was going to buy Booty Shaker or better yet the Pearl Air suspension feet. Do these things really work? I have a New evans G2 on it and at certain venues it sounds great, at others it sounds completely choked?

Like stated before, the room can influence the way your kit sounds. If it's all mic'ed up i wouldn't worry about it too much, since the engineer can always ad some filters or effects.

Like stated before, the room can influence the way your kit sounds. If it's all mic'ed up i wouldn't worry about it too much, since the engineer can always ad some filters or effects.
One of our gigs has a house kit and a sound guy. The bass drum is stuffed with a blanket and the head is loose and sounds like hitting dead paper. When he throws a mic inside and turns on the power it sounds amazing! I will never understand how the hell that works.

One of our gigs has a house kit and a sound guy. The bass drum is stuffed with a blanket and the head is loose and sounds like hitting dead paper. When he throws a mic inside and turns on the power it sounds amazing! I will never understand how the hell that works.

Haha yeah i had a gig 2 or 3 years back on an old Tama kit with huge sizes (13 and 14" toms, 18" floor) and the most bizarre head combinations: the 13" tom had a Pinstripe on the bottom and an Ambassador on the batter side. The floor tom had a Pinstripe as batter and Emperor as reso... from the my perspective it sounded like utter crap. First tom was so high pitched it sounded like a jazz tom, the 2nd tom had lower tuning and nasty overtones, the floor tom was boomy and low... but when i heard and saw videos of that gig, the drums (mic'ed up behind a plexiglass screen) sounded rather nice!

Update, I forgot to reply, I received my Pearl floor tom feet....these thing are huge, i didn't realize they were so much bigger than the original feet, i laughed when i saw them. Can't wait to get back to that room where the tom sounds choked to see if the work. All the input was appreciated guys, thanks.

The Pearl feet work, as do Booty Shakers. My experience has been that Booty Shakers make the most difference but they're kind of ungainly looking.

Also, try tuning the batter and the resonant head to the same pitch. That can really help your floor tom.

The Pearl feet work, as do Booty Shakers. My experience has been that Booty Shakers make the most difference but they're kind of ungainly looking.

Also, try tuning the batter and the resonant head to the same pitch. That can really help your floor tom.

I like the black booty shakers - much better than the red, which I find super distracting.

My cat recently destroyed one of them...he spent the night in the drum room and decided that he liked how that foam felt under his paws haha.

I never saw booty shakers in person but Im not a fan of the look. They work well from what i've read though.
My floor tom doesn't have a resonant side head, it's a cut down tom 9x16 if i remember correctly.

Another Pearl Air Sus user here, also have a Rims cradle on another kit, Pearls on that too.

Last edited:
I forgot to mention pool noodles when I recommended the Pearl feet. It's a way to decouple and raise your ft, and try out the isolation. I have a Whitehall set at my rehearsal studio which has Pearl feet, but the legs were too short for me. I have a bunch of pool noodles for kayak rigging, so I cut off a couple of 3" cylinders and stuck them under the feet. Not only did it raise the ft to where I needed it, but it opened it up a little more as well. That kit is tuned sky high so every little bit helps.

Pearl feet..again. They work great. Put a reso head on the tom as well...unless you're only doing The Doors covers songs.

The choking is mostly when Im stuck in a corner and the floor tom is about 2 inches from the wall.

This sounds more like a sound wave interference problem in the form of cancellation due to the proximity to the corner and/or wall and the fact that it happens in that situation and not necessarily others with the same tuning. If it is, floor tom isolation feet aren't going to help in that instance, however, it sounds like they are very effective otherwise.

Pearl feet..again. They work great. Put a reso head on the tom as well...unless you're only doing The Doors covers songs.
Cant do a bottom head for a few reasons, wont match the rack tom, the lugs would touch each other if lined up, and no bearing edge on the resonant side, i cut the toms on my table saw. also, we only play one doors cover, Light my Fire but more of the Jose Feliciano style with a Latin feel.
20190920_204616 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Back