Sonor ProLite Kit with SQ2 Floor Toms?

So I’m in an interesting predicament. For a while now I’ve been wanting to get a high end Sonor maple kit and after weighing up different options, I have settled on ordering a ProLite in Nussbaum finish (each drum would be costed individually). Now my ideal floor tom sizes would be 15x13” and 18x15” but those sizes are not available in the ProLite range. But then it suddenly occurred to me, why not just get those sizes as SQ2 vintage maple floor toms in the same finish instead?? In theory, the only thing that would distinguish them from the rest of the kit would be the logos. And it would only cost £125 more (the cheapest maple SQ2 kit would cost an extra £840).

But this got me thinking about the level of importance of the toms going together as a “set”. Getting the SQ2 rack toms would be a further £125 but part of me thinks it might be worth it? I don’t know really, I feel like this is something that is not talked about that often. I’m interested to see if anyone has any takes on this. Would it matter if the rack toms and floor toms are not made together as a set? Rack toms being ProLite and floor toms being SQ2. They'd be made in the same factory, the same construction, same material and same finish after all. Any input would be highly appreciated!!

I believe you can request your SQ2 floor toms be installed with Prolite badges, or no badge at all, if you prefer.

I ordered a 10 inch tom for my S-Classix and it sounds great, even though they were constructed a year or so apart. Since Prolites are essentially pre configured SQ2s the woods would be identical. Just be sure to send them a picture of the inside of your Prolites so they can closely match the colour of the wood. Sometimes they can be a off by quite a bit, but its only an aesthetic issue, and only if you use clear heads.

I believe you can request your SQ2 floor toms be installed with Prolite badges, or no badge at all, if you prefer.

Interesting! I was not aware of being able to put ProLite badges on SQ2 drums. I looked on the configurator and there was no option to do that but I don't doubt that it might be possible. To be honest, the different badges wouldn't bother me much. When I talk about the toms going together, I'm mainly thinking about sonics. I recently saw a DW video where they talk about selecting the bare shells and putting them together as a "set" from the very beginning (at 4:19).

Though I suspect the difference would probably be negligible. My only other concern would be differences in exterior finish though again, I suspect it would be extremely subtle at worst.

Just be sure to send them a picture of the inside of your Prolites so they can closely match the colour of the wood. Sometimes they can be a off by quite a bit, but its only an aesthetic issue, and only if you use clear heads.
I don't own any of the drums yet. I'll be ordering all the drums together, so this wouldn't be an option. The only way to assure the interior is consistent would probably be to order all SQ2 toms. However I can't say I'm fussed about the aesthetics of the inside of the drums. Pearl References have different colour interiors by nature and no one seems to mind. Plus I almost always use coated heads. It would only be a problem if the outer finish was different between the racks and floors which doesn't seem too likely.

Interesting! I was not aware of being able to put ProLite badges on SQ2 drums. I looked on the configurator and there was no option to do that but I don't doubt that it might be possible. To be honest, the different badges wouldn't bother me much. When I talk about the toms going together, I'm mainly thinking about sonics. I recently saw a DW video where they talk about selecting the bare shells and putting them together as a "set" from the very beginning (at 4:19).

Though I suspect the difference would probably be negligible. My only other concern would be differences in exterior finish though again, I suspect it would be extremely subtle at worst.

You won't be able to via the configurator, but whichever Sonor dealer you choose to give your money to should be able to put in any special requests you desire. They are totally customizable, hence the high price tag.

Sonically speaking, an SQ2 Vintage Maple shell is identical to a Prolite shell, as Troy pointed out above.

Elsewhere I read that a dealer can arrange for an SQ2 special order to have ProLite badges. Regardless, I say do it anyway. I had a blue sparkle beech SQ2 snare made to match my ProLite kit. I kept the SQ2 badge. It’s awesome and no one but me will notice the difference. Had to wait 8 months for it.

I don't think it's a big deal what badge is on an add on tom. Especially if they're Prolite or SQ2 badges. It's not like your mixing a PDP with a DW Collector. You could always turn the floor toms inward so the badges don't show too.

Nice combo of floor sizes. I went 15x14 and 18x14 myself.
Thank you! One of my life ambitions is to start the 15" floor tom revolution haha. In my opinion, it's the most versatile size and goes with 10" and 12" rack toms better than other floor tom sizes. For me, the 14" lacks low end punch and feels lacklustre when playing rock. And the 16" I often find to be too far away in pitch from the 12" and can feel overly rumbly when playing small ensemble jazz. I've thought about going 10", 13" and 16" but for me the gap between the 10" and 13" is a bit much and I think I'd miss the 12" / 14" or 15" when playing jazz. So for me the 10", 12" and 15" is the perfect balance and will work in just about any setting. Then throw in the 18" in there for extra low end ammunition when needed and you have, in my opinion, the most versatile set of toms that you can possibly get.

Thank you! One of my life ambitions is to start the 15" floor tom revolution haha. In my opinion, it's the most versatile size and goes with 10" and 12" rack toms better than other floor tom sizes. For me, the 14" lacks low end punch and feels lacklustre when playing rock. And the 16" I often find to be too far away in pitch from the 12" and can feel overly rumbly when playing small ensemble jazz. I've thought about going 10", 13" and 16" but for me the gap between the 10" and 13" is a bit much and I think I'd miss the 12" / 14" or 15" when playing jazz. So for me the 10", 12" and 15" is the perfect balance and will work in just about any setting. Then throw in the 18" in there for extra low end ammunition when needed and you have, in my opinion, the most versatile set of toms that you can possibly get.

I love the Sonor 15x17 deep floor toms, they're my perfect size. I've had a few over the years.

Back