Drum Heads For Metal

I am looking for new drum heads for my kit ( sizes 10, 12, 14 toms, 20 kick, 14x8 brass snare). I'm looking for mid-low punch with a little bit of resonance at the end, decent amount of attack.
Toms:
I have currently got the emperor clears on my toms but i'm thinking of changing them out for the Evans Black Chromes.
I've also considered the Evans EC2's and the Evans Onyx's. I'm also thinking of putting the EC resonant on the bottom. ( As I said before I want mid-low punch with a little bit resonance on the end and decent amount of attack).
Kick:
I've got the P3 on my kick which I am happy with. I'm thinking of putting the EQ3 reso on the resonant side. ( I want a low pitched punch kick sound.)
Snare:
I'm thinking Evan's ST Dry with the 500 snare side and 30-42 snare strand wires. ( I'm looking for that Dave Grohl Songs for the Deaf album snare sound).
( By the way, the place where i live has no music stores that sell Aquraian, so its basically Evans or Remo but I'm thinking more Evans).

I really dislike the Evans 500 snare side. It makes a snare drum sound like a cardboard box.

I've used an EC2 over EC reso before, and it's a super controlled sound, like a hard scooped "U"-shaped EQ. That kinda sounds like what you want though.

You might have a hard time getting the amount of low pitch you want out of drums that small, but the heads you're considering may help you get as low as those sizes are capable of.

I recently started to practise with one of my bands at this new space were the drumkits have the Evans hydraulics on them and i love them, try those for the sound you are looking for. I might switch from Emperors to the hydraulics.

As Bo mentions above:

If you intend on using triggers, the choice falls outside of sonic preference to an extent that durability and aesthetic take precedence.

Sonically, the genre (Metal) matters less than the decision to use acoustic versus amplified sounds, the sparsity/density of the arrangement, and how much room you have in the spectrum.

If your objective is to emulate "Songs For The Deaf", I'd recommend a single ply with a control ring as the batter, and a stock clear single ply for the reso.

This gent gets the facsimile fairly right....

Last edited:
I love EC2S on Toms, with Genra Reso on bottom

EQ3 Coated for Bass drum Reso With a Kick Port installed

But for Kick Drum Batter , I just started using Aquarian Super Kicks and man do they thump.

As for Snare, personally think the greatest snare head of all time for pretty much any genre is the Remo Vintage Ambassador Coated. Its a 2 ply head that I think just sounds amazing.

I used to be completely loyal all Evans but, they aren't paying me, so I just started playing whatever head sounds best on each drum

What do you need heads for? I think what you need are triggers ?
I don't intend on using triggers and my heads have got dents and dimples on them and I'm looking for a more controlled sound. I'm also playing with my band and recording some stuff.

Last edited:
So I'm thinking EC2 top, EC resonant bottom. As for kick probs just keep my P3 and EQ3 resonant and maybe put a kick port as I've heard they lower the fundamental note of the head. Snare I might use the ST dry or a PowerCentre Reverse Dot and probably use either 300-500 snare side head. Has anyone got any other suggestions. As I said before, I'm not using triggers. :)

If your objective is to emulate "Songs For The Deaf", I'd recommend a single ply with a control ring as the batter, and a stock clear single ply for the reso.

Is that single ply with a control ring as batter as you say for a snare? If it is I'll look into a head like that.

Is that for snare? I'll look into a head like that.

No, I was talking about toms, though the following applies to snare heads as well.

When you have a single ply head, you can either have the manufacturer add an outer ring or a centered dot in order to control the sound. There are also heads that feature both which are often referred to as "control top".

If you have a stock single ply batter, toss some moon gel in the middle and strike it. That's what a dot will sound like. Break the gel in two and place the pieces about an inch from the hoop on opposite sides. That's what a control ring will sound like. Get another piece of moongel and put it in the middle (with the two pieces still near the hoop). That's what a control top will sound like.

These sound shaping features are not-so-different than using moongel in the prescribed manner, with the exceptions that they are permanent, don't attract dirt/dust, and your cat won't attempt to eat it.

Last edited:
So I'm thinking EC2 top, EC resonant bottom. As for kick probs just keep my P3 and EQ3 resonant and maybe put a kick port as I've heard they lower the fundamental note of the head. Snare I might use the ST dry or a PowerCentre Reverse Dot and probably use either 300-500 snare side head. Has anyone got any other suggestions. As I said before, I'm not using triggers. :)

I have the 200, 300 & 500 snare side heads. I say just go with the 300

with a drum that deep, I’d think the 300 would sound just fine on it.

also for snare wires I really like pure sound twisted series or the Sabian phosphor Bronze

Back