Best head for Florida outdoor gig

J-Boogie

Gold Member
Just curious if anyone has any feeling one way or another. Its just a beater kit that Im using for a week long Florida trip to jam with friends, lot of outdoor playing. I expect the kit to get pretty trashed and it is what it is. Just wondering if Im better off with coated, clear, what have you.

Grunt you are Maryland to Florida transplant, right?

I don't know what you mean by the kit getting "trashed," but clear heads would be easier to clean than coated. The texture of a coated head is prone to staining. Also, in an acoustic outdoor setting, clear heads may give you more resonance and volume. Regardless, I doubt it matters.

Makes sense, thanks C.M. Trashed just meaning Im taking a junker kit that sits in the corner that I got for $50 and im taking it to a beach house where it will be outside most of the time and Im expecting rust (more rust) and humidity issues.

Clear heads ftw. I have played a thousand gigs right on the beach, and coated heads tend to trap moisture, salt, and sand. Wipe down the clear heads, as well as the whole kit, after you are done playing.

Makes sense, thanks C.M. Trashed just meaning Im taking a junker kit that sits in the corner that I got for $50 and im taking it to a beach house where it will be outside most of the time and Im expecting rust (more rust) and humidity issues.

Got it. In that case, go clear all the way. I'd probably do so even on my snare in that setting.

Got it. In that case, go clear all the way. I'd probably do so even on my snare in that setting.
Was thinking the same thing, Im good to go....oh wait the snare. I cant go clear because we play a lot of loud obnoxious music and I need for my brush sweeps to cut through ; P

Do any metal players use brushes? May have found my niche!! Guard your metal gigs with your lives...Brush-Boogie is coming for your gig!

Last edited:
Was thinking the same thing, Im good to go....oh wait the snare. I cant go clear because we play a lot of loud obnoxious music and I need for my brush sweeps to cut through ; P

Do any metal players use brushes? May have found my niche!! Guard your metal gigs with your lives...Brush-Boogie is coming for your gig!

Tommy Aldridge always uses a Coated Emperor on his snare just in case he gets called in for a brush session. I doubt that occurs to often.

I always have a Coated Ambassador on my snare. I like the response and sound. It might take quite a beating amid sand and salt, however.

I saw the late, great Tony Williams using a clear CS dot on his snares. Saw Thomas Pridgeon with a clear one on his DW. Coated Ambassador for me, too.

Back