Show me your cymbal scale.

Ransan

With all this talk going around of cymbal weight in grams, I have started to ponder what I would need to weigh all of my cymbals. I can only go by catalogue for profile density but not actual weight, is there an empirical density to scale interval or indexing tables?
(i.e. 2200g-2500g=medium or medium heavy something to this effect)
I have 12 or so cymbals and don’t want to trouble USPS, as it’s a larger city I live in, though that’s a good idea as it’s accurate.

For those that weigh cymbals, Show me what you all have as far as cymbal scales and experience with them.

And small (up to 12 or 15lbs) scale will work nicely. I place a cottage cheese container - no lid - on the scale to keep the cymbal from obscuring the display. :)

cymscale.jpg

I have a digital postal scale that works fine for cymbals. You can get one at any office-supply store.

Another interesting method: Take your cymbals to your local grocer and weigh them in the produce section. I'm sure that would generate some attention. Just don't forget one on a pile of lettuce.

Thanks for your replies. I may have not got this at first, but seems logical to place something to bridge a view of the scale. Would you weigh 3x or so then get an average, or is it usually the same for the trials?
Also I assume the cymbal is earmarked under the bell with a sharpie, is this correct?

Thanks for your replies. I may have not got this at first, but seems logical to place something to bridge a view of the scale. Would you weigh 3x or so then get an average, or is it usually the same for the trials?
Also I assume the cymbal is earmarked under the bell with a sharpie, is this correct?

A good scale should negate the need to settle for an average weight. Mine is precise time and time again.

You can note the weight under the bell if desired. That seems to be standard procedure.

Lol I take mine to the drug dealer across the street!

In all seriousness, i use my wife's food scale like others do. Works well.

Lol I take mine to the drug dealer across the street!

In all seriousness, i use my wife's food scale like others do. Works well.
You shouldn’t hock your instruments for drugs. In turn, that’s where the market gets diluted ?

In seriousness as well, I did purchase a postal scale from Amazonville last night that has grams, kilograms, ounces, and up to 55 pounds for around $30, food scales I saw only went up to 5000 grams and I wanted something more sure fire*. It has the detached meter on a small phone cord type connection.
I will post and review when it gets here Monday or Tuesday.

edit: *not to say that I only plan on weighing cymbals, but more general use*

Last edited:
I got the postal scale in and wanted to thank you all for your input. I weighed all my cymbals and marked under them with a sharpie. I did weigh 3x if it came in at the same g’s I would mark that, if it showed a different weight as was the case in two or three, I would reset and weigh again then a fourth to make sure.

My AAX 20” metal ride came in at a healthy 3106g. On the other hand, I was surprised to see the AAXplosion 20” fast crash was only 1170g, I knew it was thin, but that’s extremely light, and razor thin.

A57A8AE2-467F-4A73-B3CC-59C9567DFD62.jpegFB90D52E-F6BC-4A1E-8905-7F9F5DAE6571.jpeg

Last edited:
My AAX 20” metal ride came in at a healthy 3106g. On the other hand, I was surprised to see the AAXplosion 20” fast crash was only 1170g, I knew it was thin, but that’s extremely light, and razor thin.
Fascinating, you probably have the biggest weight differences in two 20 inch cymbals in the same setup that i've ever heard of. That 20 ride is thick and the crash must be paper thin!

Fascinating, you probably have the biggest weight differences in two 20 inch cymbals in the same setup that i've ever heard of. That 20 ride is thick and the crash must be paper thin!
Yessr - I knew the Fast series were extra thin, I do have to put on kid gloves when hitting the cymbal I feel like.
My 21 HH vintage Ride came in at 2378g which is a tad bit heavier than I’d like, was hoping for 2200g range when I got it.
I also have a 16” AAXplosion fast crash that came in at 794g, whilst my AA 16” Thin crash came in at 998g (now I know which one definitely goes on top ?) again AAXplosion fast series are razor thin, this opens up beautifully with sensitivity, please keep this in mind.

The cymbal that weighs 1170g is only 18". Look at the pic.

Back