Drum set you have never tried but would love to .

I'd like to spend a weekend with a vintage GW, so that I can compare it to Ron's version.... Preferably at a resort on a beach in fair weather with a cold beverage in hand.

I'd like to spend some serious time with a set of Sonor Phonic's from back in their heyday. Also would love to try a Gretsch Carpathian Elm kit.
Lastly I'd like to somehow play a set of Guru's someday.

Those Stone drums you have look intriguing. I've never heard of them before. What configuration do you have of his offerings?

They are -3 ply with re-enforcement rings - all cherry (right from Indiana) - hand made on the same machines the old Slingerlands were.

I have a:
12"x8" Tom -
14"x14" Floor Tom
18"x16" Bass Drum
13" x 7 " Snare

My buddy Maison though....he's got QUITE the Stone Custom rig:

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_1980.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_1980.jpg
    321.6 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
There’s still something about Brady and Noble & Cooley that I’d still like to try, or at least play for a bit with drum key in hand. Craviotto is also another one. But considering the music I play, I can play on anything and get acceptable results. It doesn’t have to be incredible.

A Guru kit.

Particularly since there are so few of them, and I don't think any on the west coast of the USA.
I think there's likely at least two, maybe three - all Origin kits still living on the West coast, but I'm not allowed to say where, or with who. There are some snares too :)

I'd be worried that playing Guru would result in a mind-breaking Morty-esque true-level experience, but with drums.

Nah - they're just nice drums :)

Wow. How has no one come up with that before?

The drum sounded good down low.

I don’t know, but it’s a brilliant design. I wouldn’t be surprised if companies knock on his door for licenses.

I would love to spend some quality time in the privacy of my studio with any top of the line kit, and be able to "A and B" with my kit to see if there is really that much of a difference. I also would love to get a few sets of top of line the Paiste cymbals to try out. I've always played Zildjian just because.

Last edited:
Tama Star Walnut.
Sonor SQ2 Medium Beech.

Those, along with a Noble & Cooley kit. I'd like to try one of these Hendrix Archetype Stave Maple kits too.

While not using that many toms, this is how my kit is set up, basically. Tight spacing, proportionate alignment, heads angled with each other.
I actually set it up as such, on my own, because it felt the most "right" to me.
Seeing that it's done by others helps me feel less OCD (slightly). :D
Thanks. ;)

I think for me more than the brand of drums would be the set up. I've pretty much have only ever played 1 up/1 down with hi-hats, a ride, and 2 crash cymbals. I would love to play on a set like this:

View attachment 93115

whenever I see sets like that I always wonder what it's like to play on them. tom height, spacing, angles... it all just looks very comfortable to play.

I have always wanted to play a C&C kit though. all the demos for Doc Sweeney kits I've recently seen sound great and I love this snare ($825 though, way out of my justifiable price range).:View attachment 93120

I would love to play a Guru set... or some of the Copper or Bronze kits I've seen... Maybe a really, really upper level snare, or a full Trick or Axis set-up...

I just love drums. :)

...did I mention Guru? :D

Yamaha Phoenix
Brady
Dixon
Camco
Tama Star and Fat Spruce
Guru
Hendrix

Last edited:
You haven’t lived until you’ve played a set of Staccatos. Thunderous misshapen concert toms from the depths of the Earth! And a bass drum that looks like a giant pair of shorts. (But, fortunately, sounds better.)

I think for me more than the brand of drums would be the set up. I've pretty much have only ever played 1 up/1 down with hi-hats, a ride, and 2 crash cymbals. I would love to play on a set like this:

View attachment 93115

whenever I see sets like that I always wonder what it's like to play on them. tom height, spacing, angles... it all just looks very comfortable to play.

I have always wanted to play a C&C kit though. all the demos for Doc Sweeney kits I've recently seen sound great and I love this snare ($825 though, way out of my justifiable price range).:View attachment 93120
As a C&C owner I can tell you they are frickin’ awesome. Although my opinion is biased. The bearing edges on mine are razor sharp, inside of the shells are smooth as glass.

Back