Concert toms

Regardless of single or double heads, I think the big mistake people make with small toms (6 and 8) is not making them deep enough. Of course they sound too dry and wimpy, that’s because they’re not moving enough air compared to bigger toms.

Also, I think the shells on those need to be thicker as well, which would raise the overall pitch and the perceived loudness.
Yes, I dont like the sound of Roto Toms which is the other end of the spectrum ...

I still never heard anything about the canopus concert toms that were released a long while ago. The shells gradually got thicker as you got closer to the bottom/opening which was supposed to increase rigidity as well as tonality.

I still never heard anything about the canopus concert toms that were released a long while ago. The shells gradually got thicker as you got closer to the bottom/opening which was supposed to increase rigidity as well as tonality.

I've never heard of that before. How did they achieve that?

I've never heard of that before. How did they achieve that?

Here you go: https://canopusdrums.com/en/product/single-head-tom-tom/

I was slightly incorrect. It looks like they use a shell with reinforcement rings on the top and bottom with a thinner middle portion, just like any shell with reinforcement rings. The difference is the bottom ring (the opening of the shell) has an even thicker ring then the top as well as has a back cut to taper from the thinner middle section of shell to the thicker section of the bottom ring. If that doesn't make sense they give you diagrams on the above link.

Here you go: https://canopusdrums.com/en/product/single-head-tom-tom/

I was slightly incorrect. It looks like they use a shell with reinforcement rings on the top and bottom with a thinner middle portion, just like any shell with reinforcement rings. The difference is the bottom ring (the opening of the shell) has an even thicker ring then the top as well as has a back cut to taper from the thinner middle section of shell to the thicker section of the bottom ring. If that doesn't make sense they give you diagrams on the above link.

Interesting. Thanks for sharing!

Is this guy known here?
One of my favourite funk songs, my favourite drum cover - and I hadn't noticed before (I'm a noob here), but an epic looking set of concert toms!
Is this is good as it looks to me?
If it is - enjoy! ?
Heatwave - The Grooveline.
Yessr - after watching his vid a year or two ago, I modeled my kit after his configuration. Though I had to get an additional Hercules clip mount stand.

I dont like the 8" concert tom I have. I gave it to my wife's bird. He loves it.

Brian your wife's bird....plays drums?

This is Jack and his 70s era 8" Westbury concert tom. I removed the badge and mount so he wouldnt pick at them. He doesnt bang on it like I hoped he would, instead he looks at himself in the lugs and says "pretty bird".

1Jack.jpg
It has a silver dot Ludwig Rockers head.

That perch he is standing on was a drumstick. He also has a couple sticks so we can move him. He doesnt like hands.

Jack is a cockatiel. He is free range. He stays in his area mostly. I wish he would bang on his drum!

I like concert toms, but i'd never get a set without a bottom head option. There is something to be said for that killer attack though, but I find I can get that on 2 headed toms too with the right heads and tuning.

In High School - my my mom found this kit and bought it for me as a gift.

6,8,10,12,13,14,15,16,16x18,14x24 slingerland cutaway toms.

I.
Hated.
It.
So.
Much.

However - that's because at the time I was like into Weckl and I had this killer Yamaha Golden Dragon vintage set that had tons of tone, etc....so this was SO FAR REMOVED from what I had in my head sound and hardware wise that it struck me very wrong.

But - I was a good son and played it for a few years before selling it and starting up with Yamaha and going into a set of beautiful Maple Customs.

I'd love to have it back though - if nothing else just to display.

EDIT:

A kit LIKE this - not this exact kit as we didn't have a lot of pools on our farms in Colorado.

Attachments

• cutaway.jpg
    cutaway.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
In High School - my my mom found this kit and bought it for me as a gift.

6,8,10,12,13,14,15,16,16x18,14x24 slingerland cutaway toms.

I.
Hated.
It.
So.
Much.

However - that's because at the time I was like into Weckl and I had this killer Yamaha Golden Dragon vintage set that had tons of tone, etc....so this was SO FAR REMOVED from what I had in my head sound and hardware wise that it struck me very wrong.

But - I was a good son and played it for a few years before selling it and starting up with Yamaha and going into a set of beautiful Maple Customs.

I'd love to have it back though - if nothing else just to display.

EDIT:

A kit LIKE this - not this exact kit as we didn't have a lot of pools on our farms in Colorado.

Btw, this is Bermuda’s kit! ;)

Btw, this is Bermuda’s kit! ;)

Yea! He shot me a message - that's wild. I googled "Slingerland Cutaway Toms" and this popped up.

Mine had a bigger kick - a 24" and actually didn't have the 6" and 8" toms - which I probably would have really liked.

Wish I still had it - but man....tough kit to play.

Mine had a bigger kick - a 24"

That's a 24" in the pic :) Here's a better angle. Original heads from 1980! I played the kit out only once, at a memorial for Dennis, with some of his Neil Diamond bandmates Tom Hensley, Alan Lindgren and King Errisson.

24-kick.jpg

That's a 24" in the pic :) Here's a better angle. Original heads from 1980! I played the kit out only once, at a memorial for Dennis, with some of his Neil Diamond bandmates Tom Hensley, Alan Lindgren and King Errisson.

View attachment 93169

Fun to see it again - I was digging around some albums to see if I had any pics and got distracted with an envelope full of old love letters haha - so thanks for that, wouldn't have been digging around to take a trip down nostalgia lane! Found a VHS with me playing it in a short lived blues band called "Blue Jeans" - but no pictures.

That 18" floor tom tough...that sounded AMAZING. I do remember that.

The whole kit probably sounded great - I just wasn't in a concert tom head space.

Back