American football!!!

The ball must contact the bat to become “live”. But that would make the game more fun.

Okay, that makes sense. I did not know the bat/ball/live relationship. I thought once it left the pitchers hand it was live. Didnt get into baseball too much.

Dodgeball with bats? I'm in.

Now that sounds like fun!

Were that rule implemented, the strike zone would enlarge substantially. So would medical bills.

I want the strike zone to remain the same. If the pitcher misses the batter or the batter moves it's still a ball. That wont change.

Big league players can afford the doctor.
You never heard of the human hockey puck?

Well now, that looks like a good time too.

Okay, that makes sense. I did not know the bat/ball/live relationship. I thought once it left the pitchers hand it was live. Didnt get into baseball too much.

Now that sounds like fun!

I want the strike zone to remain the same. If the pitcher misses the batter or the batter moves it's still a ball. That wont change.

Big league players can afford the doctor.

Well now, that looks like a good time too.
A Passed ball is live. As is a ball four walk. Runners can advance at their own risk. I think now that the team can just allow an intentional walk without pitching, this act may be a dead ball.

I want the strike zone to remain the same.
I want a computerized, laser measured, video-recorded strike box. Let the umpire call plays at home, and assist on foul balls, etc., but let’s drop the “need” for a human to call strikes & balls. And while we’re at it, let’s speed the game up. Deliver a pitch every 30 seconds or it’s a walk.

A Passed ball is live.
Then why isn’t a hitter called out when hit by a pitch? (I don’t know the game, just asking)

I want a computerized, laser measured, video-recorded strike box. Let the umpire call plays at home, and assist on foul balls, etc., but let’s drop the “need” for a human to call strikes & balls. And while we’re at it, let’s speed the game up. Deliver a pitch every 30 seconds or it’s a walk.

I agree with the speeding the game up. I tried to get into it, I really did. It's just too slow.

A computer controlled strike zone would be cool, but it would have to take the batter's height into consideration. If the strike zone was for me and Bo was up to bat, there's almost a foot difference there.

Some students had to leave my class early recently to go to a knock-out hockey tournament. I had visions of players knocking out each other with sticks until there's one left standing, hunger games style. But in fact in was just the way the tournament was run, which isn't quite as interesting.

Then why isn’t a hitter called out when hit by a pitch? (I don’t know the game, just asking)
A batter is awarded 1st base when hit by a pitch since the pitcher made the mistake. The ball is dead at that point

You're almost set. You just need one of these:

thumb.aspx

Thanks for the link.

I've been checking out their online shop, there's some beautiful items on there, but shipping overseas? Hmmmmm.

I'll get myself a few things I reckon.

A couple of cool t shirts, maybe a hoodie.

Maybe a decal for the bass drum reso on my bop kit.

check the NFL schedule when finalized and see when they play in London. Usually a few games a year now.

LA Chargers is your team. Or Cleveland Browns. Both have never won the Super Bowl and both have a reputation for being awful teams.

What do you want to know? I'm not into football, but my whole entire family is. I know the game pretty much inside and out. It was a requirement growing up.

Erp. While not a Browns fan myself, they won 4 NFL Championships. Just because someone decided to change the name of the championship game doesn’t mean you erase the previous winners.

Ooo. That got my history teacher dander up. <g>

Pete

Anyone fancy a short primer on the rules of cricket?

Impossible.

I miss cricket.

I'm not a fan of 20/20, I'm OK with one day matches, but of course the ultimate is tests, especially the ashes. I love the way that even if a team is clearly dominating the match or the series, they may still not come out with a win. And how the direction of a five day match can be completely changed in one short session of play.

I'm not a fan of 20/20, I'm OK with one day matches, but of course the ultimate is tests, especially the ashes. I love the way that even if a team is clearly dominating the match or the series, they may still not come out with a win. And how the direction of a five day match can be completely changed in one short session of play.

Not a fan of pyjama stuff either. 5 day draws are a wonderful concept.

Anyone fancy a short primer on the rules of cricket?

Impossible.

I miss cricket.
I’ve awaited this suggestion. I don’t think most Americans have that kind of patience, but are there tailgate parties and food concessions and beer and cheerleaders and fly-overs and marching bands? ‘Cuz maybe then we could last a couple days. Maybe.

Erp. While not a Browns fan myself, they won 4 NFL Championships. Just because someone decided to change the name of the championship game doesn’t mean you erase the previous winners.

Ooo. That got my history teacher dander up. <g>

Pete

I was only counting Super Bowls. If we go back past that, the Chargers also won a championship.

Sorry, wasn't trying to rile up the history teacher.

Ahhhh...... remember the days of the 50 overs one day internationals?

Memories of Dean Jones cracking 6 after 6 playing the Windies.......the Aussies batting second innings with an impossible run chase.

I did enjoy the limited overs (50) games.

Cannot stand the 20/20 crap.

Used to love the Ashes.

I can't stand 20/20 - but I do 'get' that it's important financially for the game at the moment. It has its place. Just not on my TV...

I know right?

20/20 in my opinion is just appalling.

But yeah, the game evolves doesn't it?

We went from no other format other than test matches, then 50 over games, now 20/20.

I reckon they'll start playing on smaller grounds with the aim of getting bigger scores.

Anyways guys, I'm getting the hang of American Football now.....I THINK!

I've been watching a fair few games on YouTube and I Google any things that come up in terms of definitions.

My favourite game-play I reckon are defensive touchdowns or "Pick 6". They are so exciting to see a player scream down the outfield to the endzone.

I also get excited when a quarterback gets sacked. That is cool too.

I watched a game the other night and the QB was sacked 7 TIMES!!

So who's gonna win the Superbowl this year??

Back