U.S Riots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benthedrummer

Silver Member
To all my friends on here who are under threat from these current riots.......please be careful.

Myself and my family are thinking of you all.

It's an absolute travesty.

I beg you all to keep safe.

Nice thread to check-in, but let's NOT let it become political.

I'm good here in my corner of Los Angeles, nearest unrest is about 14 miles in any direction. But L.A. county is under curfew, 6pm to 6am, and an hour later a bunch of people are still out creating problems.

Ben, your concern is appreciated beyond expression. Thanks so much for caring from afar. It really does mean something.

To everyone else: Ben has launched this thread as a gesture of respect. Please don't dishonor him with careless, accusatory, judgmental, politically charged comments that do nothing but ignite contention and resentment. America is suffering enough already. Spewing spite and contempt will do little to cure our woes.

I won't be posting again to this thread. If it heads downhill, I don't want to go along for the ride.

Thanks for the sentiments Ben. Nothing near me, but looters targeted the high rent district in Scottsdale. Don’t think this is the end of it.

Ben - as others have said - thanks much for the thoughts. Our country is hurting and needs all the love we can give it right now on multiple fronts.

New Mexico is pretty quiet - but I've heard quiet things about people starting up tomorrow - so we'll see.

Thanks Ben. We're in quarantine, stay-at-home lockdown, curfew here. Pasadena, overlooking L.A.

I live just outside of Santa Monica, about 3 miles from where some violent protests and looting (mixed in with peaceful protests) were taking place this afternoon. Fortunately that was pretty much isolated to downtown Santa Monica, and I'm far enough from that to where it's fine here.

But yesterday, I wanted to hit up my favorite BBQ spot in LA, which happens to be very close to the epicenter of the much more violent protests in the Fairfax district. I wasn't watching the news before I left, so I had no idea what was going on until I nearly got there. When I was only about a mile away, I saw dozens of people pouring out of a building which they had just looted. I was like WTF??? So I quickly got off that street and made a beeline for the restaurant.

When I got there, you can see how close I was to the epicenter of the protests. The BBQ place had wisely closed early, so I got the hell out of there and headed home. My plan was to afterward go to the Sam Ash in Hollywood to get some much-needed sticks, but I suppose that will have to wait.

Attachments

• IMG_9457.JPG
    IMG_9457.JPG
    362.5 KB · Views: 13
Please, Brothers and Sisters, be careful. Be safe. These protests have degenerated into rampant Anarchy. Keep tabs on family and loved ones.
God bless us all....

Please, Brothers and Sisters, be careful. Be safe. These protests have degenerated into rampant Anarchy. Keep tabs on family and loved ones.
God bless us all....

You guys haven't had a break from stresses for a while now.

I trust you all have a contingency plan in place if this situation digresses into further chaos.

It appears to be somewhat frightening for you all.

It will settle soon.

I too am watching from afar with concern for my many US friends as well as the country as a whole. The catalyst for this was beyond horrendous, but the wider reaction on all sides is a difficult watch too. As in all unrest situations in pretty much any country, there are an outraged majority who want to get their voice heard through legitimate protest, and a minority who scurrilously take advantage of, or seek to perpetuate disquiet through multiple means. I hope reasonable voices can prevail with a shared vision of community through compassionate & decisive leadership examples.

This is not without precedent. There were plenty of riots in the 1960s as well. I wish there were other ways people could express themselves, and, like Andy said, there’s a small group that have selfish intent within the larger honestly frustrated protestors.

Protests here in Arkansas also. Mostly peaceful, some violence in Little Rock.

Ben, this is pretty normal here in the US. It isnt usually this big, but riots and protests are a thing here. It almost always involves looting, fires, destruction of property (public and personal), violence, cops in riot gear, antagonists, fireworks, molotov cocktails, tear gas, rubber bullets, cars flipped over, arrests, injuries, and death.

Your sports team loses, you riot. Your sports team wins, you riot. Cops kill someone, you riot. The concert is cancelled, you riot. Popeyes runs out of chicken sandwiches, you riot. Economy crashes, you riot. It doesnt matter anymore. People here are unhappy. This is how they handle it.

Peace to all y'all. If you go out be safe. I'm staying home. Between covid19, murder hornets, and now this, 2020 is turning out to be something else.

I dont ever see any other creatures acting like this. Could you imagine if grizzly bears rioted?

Thank you for checking in and your concern. I'm convinced there's a few bad actor's hijacking some of these demonstrations possibly even "paid agitator's who police see show up at various different events. Someone casts the first stone or decides to throw a Molotov cocktail and it's brought to an entire new level of mayhem.

Where on Sunday I saw that down in New Orleans a large crowd formed a kneel-down prayer peacefully in front of the cathedral in the French Quarter.

People choose to act the way they do.

Protests here in Arkansas also. Mostly peaceful, some violence in Little Rock.

Ben, this is pretty normal here in the US. It isnt usually this big, but riots and protests are a thing here. It almost always involves looting, fires, destruction of property (public and personal), violence, cops in riot gear, antagonists, fireworks, molotov cocktails, tear gas, rubber bullets, cars flipped over, arrests, injuries, and death.

Your sports team loses, you riot. Your sports team wins, you riot. Cops kill someone, you riot. The concert is cancelled, you riot. Popeyes runs out of chicken sandwiches, you riot. Economy crashes, you riot. It doesnt matter anymore. People here are unhappy. This is how they handle it.

Peace to all y'all. If you go out be safe. I'm staying home. Between covid19, murder hornets, and now this, 2020 is turning out to be something else.

I dont ever see any other creatures acting like this. Could you imagine if grizzly bears rioted?

Brian, when all this settles.......get yourself a flight to my place mate.

Take some time out.

We can swap some drum techniques, go and get some Pizza, whatever.

I've got a couple of kits at my place that we can show each other some stuff.

Sad. Just sad. In all respects. In this day and age of instant news, only the sensational events get the headlines. Most folks walking the earth are peace loving and just want to be left alone. Why aren't they/we getting all the Tweets and headlines?

Such a shame people have to loot and burn/destroy private property. I'd happily join in protest myself but only peacefully. those police officers should face trial on fairness. hope everyone here and elsewhere will stay safe.

Thanks, @Benthedrummer . The USA was borne out of dissent of centralized power.

"It is unfortunate, that the efforts of mankind to recover the freedom of which they have been so long deprived, will be accompanied with violence, with errors, & even with crimes. But while we weep over the means, we must pray for the end."
~ Thomas Jefferson
(1743-1826), US Founding Father, drafted the Declaration of Independence, 3rd US President
Source: Thomas Jefferson to F. D. Ivernois, February 6, 1795

And, in case you missed the memo, social distancing is officially cancelled. heh.

And for the glass-half-empty crew:

There are legitimate protests but don’t conflate that with the riots and violence (which has a different agenda apparently). I support one but not the other. It’s tough watching any man plead for his life (Anywhere) and also tough to see small businesses already hit now destroyed- many owned by minorities so exacerbates problems. Seems there is just a human nature element of protest and even violent protest periodically in about every nation ( even Buddhist monks). Violence in general plaques all humanity as do errors in judgement. I can’t see any good or anything productive coming from this violence, and likely harms the positive movement and protests. I guess like bad cops there are bad protestors. But it’s like any discussion here people get heated and civility goes bye bye. TBH I try to be logical and civil and if I don’t get that response in kind I interpret that you just wanna fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back