Who has a centered cable hat setup?

Mastiff

I'm curious about cable hi-hats, especially since I started with double bass and can never really get both the HH pedal and HH cymbals where I want them to be. I don't want to lose the ability to do 16th note HH grooves, so the HH needs to be near the snare. Right behind it seems ideal, but I'm having a hard time picturing how I could do that due to the toms. If anyone has such a setup, I'd love to see some pics.

If I not mistaken, I think @cbphoto does.

For me, a tilting hi-hat stand (like this one) took care of the the hi-hat placement problem (and more, it's a great feature).

If anyone has such a setup, I'd love to see some pics.
I use a DW9550 (shaft drive hi hat) and only a single kick .... but the placement is there. With two bass drums ..... yeah, cable would be the way to go.

Attachments

• 4 ver. 2.jpg
    4 ver. 2.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 63
I use a DW9550 (shaft drive hi hat) and only a single kick .... but the placement is there. With two bass drums ..... yeah, cable would be the way to go.

I like that placement. It does basically take the spot where a tom would be though. I'd have to unlearn the default to running down the toms for fills, which wouldn't be all bad.

I like that placement. It does basically take the spot where a tom would be though. I'd have to unlearn the default to running down the toms for fills, which wouldn't be all bad.
Danny Carey mounts his above his toms, which might move the hats too far away from where you want. But it's an option. There's almost always a trade off, somewhere.

Attachments

• danny carey.jpg
    danny carey.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 71
Danny Carey mounts his above his toms, which might move the hats too far away from where you want. But it's an option. There's almost always a trade off, somewhere.

From what I've heard of him (and I've always been impressed), that looks like a well earned setup.

Does anyone know what the drum is above and to the left of the first floor tom? It looks like a Remo practice pad, but I doubt it.

Does anyone know what the drum is above and to the left of the first floor tom?
It’s a Korg Wave Drum. A really fun piece of gear.

@Mastiff , I use a Tama remote cable hat with the short cable (purchased separately). It’s not as quick as a normal hi hat stand, so Playing 1/8th notes with the foot at higher tempos Isn’t fabulous. I’ve been mounting on a Tama cymbal/tom combo stand and it quivers when I play 1/8th notes with my foot. I’ve been considering a rack for a more solid rig. The mounting hardware design is very configurable, too.

My intent when getting the cable hat was to break up the descending toms. I was playing descending patterns too much and wanted to break my habits. It has helped, and it has helped strengthen my left hand, too.

F7E5896E-2787-454D-BF2A-30BB5D019E7F.jpeg

I use a DW 9300 cable remote hi hat and have alternately placed it directly in fron and then over to the right just above my floor tom. That's where I prefer it with my ride cymbal in the middle now and crashes on left and right. Works great.

Does anyone know what the drum is above and to the left of the first floor tom?
It’s a Korg Wave Drum. A really fun piece of gear.
To add a little more info .... Danny uses the "original" WD-1. Came out around 1994. Find one today, they're around $2K. Weren't very popular when they first came out. Took about 10 years for people to "catch on" ..... and finally Korg came out with the newer version around 2010. I've got two of the 2010 models. A buddy drummer of mine has two of the WD-1's.

I use a DW 9300 cable remote hi hat and have alternately placed it directly in fron and then over to the right just above my floor tom. That's where I prefer it with my ride cymbal in the middle now and crashes on left and right. Works great.

Are you able to play RL 16th note hi-hat grooves with your setup?

I meant RLRL sticking on hi-hat, but his setup looks great for that too. I like it.
Yes. RLRL totally possible. Since the hats are essentially equidistant in relationship to both hands and the snare. Only difference is the direction of travel. You do it for a few days, and you'll probably fall right into it.

I have been intrigued by cable hihats since I saw a drummer in a British drum magazine called Rhythm that had only a cable hihat . His set up had a typical 22/10/12/14/16 set up but set up in a unique set up . The 14” was on the left then the rack toms were reversed 12” then 10” and the 16” in the usual floor tom position . The cable hihat was on right hand aside between the 10” and 16” toms . He had ride cymbals in both sides of the kit along with crashes on both sides . It was a drum set that Gary Chester would have loved .

Do you not control the hat by foot at all?

Not currently. I will eventually, but wanted to see if I even liked the symmetrical thing first. I love it. A cable hat will be a future purchase for sure.

My left foot still gets plenty of work, it's not being neglected by any means.

Back