Should I upgrade or stick with what I've got?

jwildman

I've been playing on a Roland TD 10 for the past 3 years. I bought it used and its worked pretty flawlessly. All the pads work fine and it doesn't seem like the brain is going or fading (although I did have to replace the battery once). Now I've expanded it with a yamaha dtx 500 brain and pads to add on some cymbals. While the drum samples don't sound the best (especially the samples coming from the yamaha brain), the overall kit serves its function pretty well. It's a big electronic kit I can practice on everyday instead of playing my acoustic kit.

My question is, should I be looking to eventually upgrade this kit (for example, to a roland TD 50) if it is nearing the end of its lifespan? Or should the TD 10 last awhile longer?

I've been playing on a Roland TD 10 for the past 3 years. I bought it used and its worked pretty flawlessly. All the pads work fine and it doesn't seem like the brain is going or fading (although I did have to replace the battery once). Now I've expanded it with a yamaha dtx 500 brain and pads to add on some cymbals. While the drum samples don't sound the best (especially the samples coming from the yamaha brain), the overall kit serves its function pretty well. It's a big electronic kit I can practice on everyday instead of playing my acoustic kit.

My question is, should I be looking to eventually upgrade this kit (for example, to a roland TD 50) if it is nearing the end of its lifespan? Or should the TD 10 last awhile longer?

If you are gigging with it - I would upgrade for the exact reason Bo mentions above.

If it's just for rehearsal or the home jam - it should last a while longer.

". . . the overall kit serves its function pretty well. It's a big electronic kit I can practice on every day instead of playing my acoustic kit."

Sounds as though you're still getting valuable use from it. You'll have to determine whether the expense of replacement is worth the benefits you'll derive from the upgrade. Only you can make that call.

Just get some VST's. Superior drummer, BFD3, Slate, Addictive drums all sound better than the TOP 10k ekit on the market right now. and will work with what you have. I'd rather spend $100 then 10k.

Back