American football!!!

Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Tell the truth—it's 'cuz you wanna be just like this guy, isn't it?

Jason-The-Good-Place-Jaguars.png

Oh God NO!!!

Wow, thanks for the offer. It’s been a while since I’ve seen Aussie rules football, so it’s not exactly fresh in my mind. But I’ll keep an eye out for it, and will definitely watch it next time I see it televised. In the meantime, if you don’t mind sending me the basic rules (or posting them here), I’ll have them handy so I can hopefully make more sense of it. Then once I’ve seen it again so it’s fresh, yeah it’d be fun to talk about it with someone who actually knows what’s going on!

Ok, no worries........I'll send you a PM when I can.

That sounds about right. Or: "He jus keeps throwing me that ball up the middle. Like all day long. Jus, POW! another strike right up the middle. I'll keep takin it too, cuz it keeps puttin 6 on the board. Jus, POW! Uh-huh, uh-huh. Give me the ball, I'm the greatest. Peace to my moms."

The coaches are the best. You get every emotion from them depending on the day. My favorite is when the team sucks so bad, the coach just has no words anymore. He sits there, in front of like 50 microphones and tv cameras, and says nothing. Drool runs out his mouth, fire is brewing behind his eyes, he looks like he hasn't slept all season, and you can see the restraint in his face that is keeping him from punching his way out of my tv and into the real world. One of these days a coach will literally explode on live tv. I look forward to that day.

Actually yeah.......the coaches are similar in Aussie Rules.

But in Rugby League, the coaches take NO guff in press conferences.

Is this Oz Rugby televised in the states? It appears to be something I’d like. What are the names of the top two/three teams?

Photo........this is so embarrassing, but Rugby League is most definitely NOT a West Aussie sport. It is foreign to most of us. We don't have a national team anymore (I don't think).......there are some of us here that have some interest in it, but not a massive following.

I have absolutely no idea what the rules are and I have never ever watched a single minute of a game.

It is one of the absolute polar differences between the West and East states over here.

Rugby League is massive in NSW and Queensland.

AFL is far more popular in Victoria, South Australia, Western Australia.

So in all honesty, I simply don't have an answer to your question.

All I know is that the game is absolutely brutal. The tackles are horrendous. 120kg guys get lifted and slammed into the ground by 130kg guys.

None of them wear any armour.

Some of the injuries are nasty.

But I've found a website that has the NRL ranking ladder that may help you.

Last edited:
But I've found a website that has the NRL ranking ladder that may help you.
Thanks!

I watched some Eels highlights and was really enjoying it until I realized they were dub’ing in crowd sounds. Are all games in Oz being played without spectators?
DE1D19B7-E7F9-4776-B925-16F07C989004.png
DB50BCC9-3087-41ED-94F2-5BAA363D4B35.png

For any US fans watching Rugby League - the main two differences are no forward passes at all, which means your entire team stays slightly behind whoever has the ball, and after six tackles/plays the defending team gets given the ball, no matter how many yards have been won. So after the 5th tackle they usually kick it so the changeover happens further down the field.
Also, the start of each play is just one guy rolling the ball back to one team mate, with one opponent guarding - only three players involved. This means play resumes within 5 seconds or so after each tackle, so there’s less down time than US football.

I've just discovered something amazing!

I have an Amazon Fire Stick......there's a free Sports channel called DSN.

I've got access to all the NFLs teams channels and it's totally free.

I've been watching some press conferences and so forth.....very interesting.

The American Football players are so much nicer to listen to that the Aussie Rules players.

They are far more articulate and actually give intelligent answers to questions in interviews.

Aussie players are like......."yeah mate, nah, yeah we played hard mate. The guys are great mate, yeah, nah".
hahaha that's because with few exceptions american players are all "Communications" majors in college. Which means come play for us for free, even receive a lease on a car while you are here, and you don't need to attend any classes.

Last edited:
I watched some Eels highlights and was really enjoying it until I realized they were dub’ing in crowd sounds. Are all games in Oz being played without spectators?

South Korea started playing baseball almost a month ago. Their stands are empty, but have banners with people printed on them. The people are all wearing masks.

2020-05-06t074109z-1664348246-rc2vig9fcych-rtrmadp-3-health-coronavirus-southkorea-baseball.jpg

I'm not sure if I should laugh or punch myself in the face.

Wrestling had fans on friday. Like maybe 50 total. They were isolated in boxes around the arena. Like the drum booth in church, only bigger, no seats, and like a dozen people in each one.

NASCAR resumed two weeks ago with no fans. It was weird. Better than the video simulations we had for a while.

I’m not entirely sure what downfield blocking is, but in rugby you can only tackle someone if they have the ball. Other players must be allowed to move freely.
that means a player on the same team as the one with the ball, cannot run ahead of him and knock other players away from tackling.

that means a player on the same team as the one with the ball, cannot run ahead of him and knock other players away from tackling.
Not allowed in rugby. Would be considered off-side, which essentially means you are in the opponent’s territory and getting in their way.
Instead, you follow the player who has the ball so he can pass to you just as he gets tackled.

Not allowed in rugby. Would be considered off-side, which essentially means you are in the opponent’s territory and getting in their way.

Totally legal in American Football. You cant hold the person, and you cant clip them (take their legs out from under them from behind), but you absolutely can inhibit them from getting to the ball carrier.

Off sides is complicated. It's basically crossing the line of scrimmage before the ball is snapped. False Start is when an offensive player jumps before the ball is snapped. He just has to move, not even step. Encroachment is when a defensive player moves before the ball is snapped. He must actually cross the line of scrimmage. If he can get back to his spot before the snap, there is no penalty. If the ball is snapped before he gets back, he is offsides. Lining up in the neutral zone is also a form of offsides. The length of the ball before the snap is the neutral zone. Everyone must line up behind the neutral zone in respect to their side of the field.

I wonder how college sports will fair-I can’t imagine games without lots of students. A lot of my friends are University of Georgia graduates and everything is go Dawgs. All their kids graduate from there to and Go Dawgs . Sports is generally part of experience then scholarships etc seems will decline if it isn’t a money making and garnering alumni support as generally sports do. Then to without student intermingling the only thing going on between the hedges will be football.

So I watched a few games of NFL.

Really enjoying the experience.....heaps!

Just a couple of questions.

1) when a team goes from being offence to defence......what does the QB do? Do they leave the field and sit on the bench or are they ultilised in the defense team.

2) Is the QB the only player that can throw the ball?

3) Is the penalty for a QB sack based on a specific distance behind the line of scrimmage or is it based on where the actual tackle occurred?

Go Jags ???

I think Jacksonville Jaguars have got some major QB issues.

I saw a game with Bortles as QB for them and within a ten minute period he got a massive sack then gave away a Pick 6.

I reckon Winshew is the man.

He's got a good Wide Receiver in Chark.

That dude can friggin run and he's got hands like magnets.

Back