GC Wouldn't Let Me In

Status
Not open for further replies.
The breakdown by population shows our percentages are also lower than other countries. Most of our infections and deaths have been from densely populated areas. If I was in NY I’d suck it up. Around here I’ll be my own adult and listen to my own research and take my own actions. My wife won’t wear a mask either, so I’m not worried about her either. She can make her own decisions. Children do as they are told. Adults make their own decisions. I respect those who want to or don’t want to just the same. I don’t see a need. You all can line up and tell me we told you so. Until then tic toc...

If you live in the middle of nowhere, then you are probably ok, but as has been mentioned if you go shopping to a store or where there are lots of people, you should wear a mask. Clearly you don't care about yourself, but you should care about getting other people sick. If you don't, then you are part of the problem. And the last time I checked, rural areas of the country are now seeing large increases in cases because of people like you who refuse something as simple as wearing a mask. What is it, vanity? You think it looks stupid? You think your personal freedoms are being infringed upon to have to wear a mask to prevent the spread of the virus? Yeah, that's right. Tic Toc.

Last edited:
The breakdown by population shows our percentages are also lower than other countries.
Revised to include overall populations:
  • USA: 1,760,000 confirmed cases; overall population: 328.2 million; % infected: ~0.5%
  • Brazil: 439,000 confirmed cases; overall population: 209.5 million; % infected: ~0.2%
  • Russia: 379,000 confirmed cases; overall population: 144.5 million; % infected: ~0.3%
  • UK: 269,000 confirmed cases; overall population: 66.6 million; % infected: ~0.4%
  • Spain: 238,000 confirmed cases; overall population: 47 million; % infected: ~0.5%
  • Italy: 232,000 confirmed cases; overall population: 60.4 million; % infected: ~0.4%
  • Germany: 182,000 confirmed cases; overall population: 83 million; % infected: ~0.2%
  • Turkey: 161,000 confirmed cases; overall population: 82 million; % infected: ~0.2%
  • India: 158,000 confirmed cases; overall population: 1.35 BILLION; % infected: ~0.01%
  • France: 149,000 confirmed cases; overall population: 67 million; % infected: ~0.2%
So as you can see, we're tied with Spain as having the highest percentage of our population infected with the virus. So no, we're not among the lowest. Not even close. We're the HIGHEST. Every other country in the top 10 (except Spain) has a lower infection rate than us.

• USA: 1,760,000 confirmed cases; overall population: 328.2 million; % infected: ~0.5%
  • Brazil: 439,000 confirmed cases; overall population: 209.5 million; % infected: ~0.2%
  • Russia: 379,000 confirmed cases; overall population: 144.5 million; % infected: ~0.3%
  • UK: 269,000 confirmed cases; overall population: 66.6 million; % infected: ~0.4%
  • Spain: 238,000 confirmed cases; overall population: 47 million; % infected: ~0.5%
  • Italy: 232,000 confirmed cases; overall population: 60.4 million; % infected: ~0.4%
  • Germany: 182,000 confirmed cases; overall population: 83 million; % infected: ~0.2%
  • Turkey: 161,000 confirmed cases; overall population: 82 million; % infected: ~0.2%
  • India: 158,000 confirmed cases; overall population: 1.35 BILLION; % infected: ~0.01%
  • France: 149,000 confirmed cases; overall population: 67 million; % infected: ~0.2%
So as you can see, we're tied with Spain as having the highest percentage of our population infected with the virus. So no, we're not among the lowest. Not even close. We're the HIGHEST. Every other country in the top 10 (except Spain) has a lower infection rate than us.

@AzHeat may have been talking about Arizona specifically which with 17,763 cases and a population of 7,279,000 people has an infection rate of 0.2%. But the demographics of any large area are for the most part a combination of rural areas, cities and suburban areas. Arizona is not a very densely populated area so that would explain the lower rates of infection. But it's pretty clear that no matter where you live, if you happen to be interfacing in close proximity to other people, you should wear a mask. That is the recommended approach for all areas of the country. So, you go out for a walk and can stay away from people, no need for a mask. Go for a drive in the country, no need for a mask. Go shopping at the supermarket, wear a mask. It's pretty simple.

Brian Lee Hitchens in Florida thought it was a hoax and ignored the protocols. He and his wife contracted the virus and ended up in the hospital. His wife cannot breath and is not responding to treatments. John McDaniel of Ohio thought the pandemic was overblown ended up contracting the virus and dying. Pastor Landon Spradlin of Virginia claimed the concern over the pandemic was just hysteria so he went to Mardi Gras in New Orleans, contracted the virus and died. Pastor Gerald Glen, also of Virginia, defied social distancing, contracted the virus and died. The list of doubters who ended up getting the virus and died is a long one. This pandemic is showing us those who care about themselves and others and are willing to do what is necessary to prevent the spread of the virus and is showing us those who ONLY care about themselves and their perception of personal freedoms and are unwilling to take the necessary precautions. This pandemic has shown us what the USA is truly made of and it's pretty clear that while many are following protocols, there are still far too many who's behavior can only be described as outright seflish. Sad to see so many in this country unable to see the difference between right and wrong and hide behind the silly notion that they don't want to be told what to do. Those are the same people who refused to buy health insurance yet cannot afford to pay for their own healthcare. Who pays for their healthcare then when they cannot pay? Taxpayers. It's this portion of the population who truly have no idea what this country is about, what made it great and what will quickly bring it down. And it's this same portion of the population who are happy with the current White House occupant.

Last edited:
I agree. So when you step outside, if no one is around, by all means don't worry about putting on a mask. But if you're going to the store, or to any crowded area—whether you're in Tokyo or Phoenix—there will be people around. So you need to suck it up and be a responsible adult by wearing a freakin' mask. Not only to protect yourself, but to protect those around you. Not to mention those you live with. And it doesn't have to be for forever, just until this thing goes away.

I just can't understand why this is so hard for some people to comprehend. Putting a barrier between your respiratory organs and the outside world helps to protect you and others from a highly transmittable respiratory disease. Why is that so hard to understand?

Is it perfect? No, but it absolutely helps. But it's people who refuse to wear masks in public or practice any sort of social distancing who are contributing to the US having by far the most cases of COVID-19.

The top-10 countries for COVID as of right now:
  • USA: 1,760,000 confirmed cases
  • Brazil: 439,000 confirmed cases
  • Russia: 379,000 confirmed cases
  • UK: 269,000 confirmed cases
  • Spain: 238,000 confirmed cases
  • Italy: 232,000 confirmed cases
  • Germany: 182,000 confirmed cases
  • Turkey: 161,000 confirmed cases
  • India: 158,000 confirmed cases
  • France: 149,000 confirmed cases
As far as I know, the USA is the only country with a significant percentage of the population who refuse to wear masks in public. If that's such a great strategy, then why do we have BY FAR the most number of infections and deaths (currently just over 100k deaths)?

Bless your reason and common sense.

In China not wearing a mask is considered socially irresponsible. In the United States a mask is perceived as a sign of weakness. Somehow we need to change that perception.

Uh, no. Or at least not where I’m at. Not wearing a mask around here says that you’re stupid, not weak. Do what you want at home, but don’t go out in public and endanger other people and their families.

Pete

Only China and India have higher populations than the US:
TOP 10 MOST POPULOUS COUNTRIES (July 1, 2020)

1. China
1,394,015,977​
6. Nigeria
214,028,302​
2. India
1,326,093,247​
7. Brazil
211,715,973​
3. United States
332,639,102​
8. Bangladesh
162,650,853​
4. Indonesia
267,026,366​
9. Russia
141,722,205​
5. Pakistan
233,500,636​
10. Mexico
128,649,565​

I bring this up because the numbers you posted don't account for the percentage (or rate) of testing.
For example - it's possible that India, with over 1 billion people, only had a couple hundred thousand, or a million, people tested.
That could conveivably result in a much higher percentage of the people who have been tested being confirmed positive.
We just can't tell from the info provided.

Uh, no. Or at least not where I’m at.

That's the thing, this is not about "where you're at", it's about "this is everywhere" and how we deal with that.

EDIT: NOT disagreeing with your point, just speaking generally.

Only China and India have higher populations than the US:
TOP 10 MOST POPULOUS COUNTRIES (July 1, 2020)

1. China
1,394,015,977​
6. Nigeria
214,028,302​
2. India
1,326,093,247​
7. Brazil
211,715,973​
3. United States
332,639,102​
8. Bangladesh
162,650,853​
4. Indonesia
267,026,366​
9. Russia
141,722,205​
5. Pakistan
233,500,636​
10. Mexico
128,649,565​

I bring this up because the numbers you posted don't account for the percentage (or rate) of testing.
For example - it's possible that India, with over 1 billion people, only had a couple hundred thousand, or a million, people tested.
That could conveivably result in a much higher percentage of the people who have been tested being confirmed positive.
We just can't tell from the info provided.

Correct. Frankly, because the rate of testing in any given country is all over the place I don't even bother looking at those statistics other than to get a sense of whether the country is testing at a meaningful level or not. So, for your example of India, according to Worldmeters.info, India is only testing at the rate of 2,439 per 1 million people of the total population. That's nothing. I am only really looking at total cases and total deaths as those are the only statistics that approximate what is happening in a given country or state. And even among those two, the only truly indicative number is the death toll since we know that testing is not being done on a mass scale here and no one is properly tracking the test data to help manage the pandemic here. And that is very sad that with the financial wealth this country has, we can't provide better protection to our people than a complete clusterxxxx of a pandemic response effort. And we all know that places we have always known were not trustworthy with statistics about what goes on in their countries like China, Russia and many others, including our own US, mean that these statistics can only be used as a rough guide. So, do I think that China has only had 4,634 deaths since the beginning of the pandemic? Absolutely not. And I'm sure the US death total is more than the reported 102,872.

Last edited:
The advice we're getting in Canada is that a mask should be worn when physical distancing isn't possible - and that's the only time a mask is recommended.

I don't wear a mask when I'm walking to the store. I do wear a mask when I'm in the store. I wear it out of consideration for the store staff, not to protect myself.

I’m only fairly certain of a few things .......

1. Wear a mask not so much to protect yourself , but to protect others .

2. Who knows what the numbers really are . I’d agree with mountain man that they could be higher maybe ? Maybe not , as states are reporting deaths from covid simply because they tested positive and not because that was the cause of death . They could be higher , they could be lower or they could be right around what’s been reported in mostly civilized and free countries . We don’t really know ??‍♂️

3.We can all have our OPINIONS on what’s being done or not being done based on info that’s all over the place and who you believe or not and what side of the political scene your on .

4. I’m in an at risk category . I wear a mask . I wish others would also until we know more than we do now . But I go out for mostly necessary things , but sometimes maybe not so necessary, but that’s usually when I’m out getting necessary items. We gotta live our lives also , but be sensible and reasonable , use common sense ( maybe not so common today) and be civil to one another .

Like mr. IP I was out at a store ( big box home improvement store) I was required to wear a mask ( no problem I’m in a NY suburb) to enter and shop , but I couldn’t help wonder why they were even open as I saw two employees the whole time I was there
( 20- 30 min) walking around with no mask . Why require customers to wear one ( I’m glad they do ) if two employees who I saw all over the large store not wear one? They could have it and be spreading it all over the store as most everyone’s eyes are exposed. Again, masks or coverings are for others not so much for yourself where your inside or around (
closer) to others .

I’m gonna need some sticks and other things also , so I hope this all gets sorted soon ?? as I also like to feel and roll drumsticks in my hands and test cymbals ..... and..... and.....

Stay healthy and safe all . ?????

N95 which the public can’t buy at this point blocks down to 3 microns, COVID is 1 micron, so basically dust through a screen door. What most people wear are nowhere near what the N95 is and they wear them wrong. Why? Because you can’t breathe in them. I sure as heck can’t. At least the N95 allows your exhales to exit the mask, so you’re not rebreathing your own exhales.

For me, the mask makes me itch like crazy, so I’m constantly reaching in and scratching and adjusting. Wore one for years in a body shop and struggled with it the whole time. The only one that didn’t cause the above were the cartridge type. Just because you “look” safe doesn’t mean you are.

Germs and viruses can just as easily get in through your eyes, so you’ll need goggles too.

Also, I see people wearing filthy gloves and handling everything, then touching your stuff. I’d much prefer they skipped the gloves and washed their hands.

I get it. As a wise man once said, it’s better to look good than to feel good. Very much true here.

GC is almost out of business anyway. Thanks for the heads up. I need sticks too, but I’ll save the trip.
The virus may be 1 micron - the droplets carrying it are bigger. And the masks are for the protection of others when you speak. If you have an exhaust valve they dont protect others and shouldnt be allowed imo.

The virus may be 1 micron - the droplets carrying it are bigger. And the masks are for the protection of others when you speak. If you have an exhaust valve they dont protect others and shouldnt be allowed imo.

I read this and wondered if a fart could transmit the virus, literalizing "silent but deadly".

In fairness, I've also wondered whether Centaurs use their human bits or horse bits to nurse their young...

It is correct that the point is to prevent the passing of the "droplets" that carry covid-19. So, I've heard that the top five materials to use for homemade filtration of covid-19 are denim, bed sheets, paper towel, canvas and a shop towel. Apparently a paper towel filters out 96% of 1.0 micron sized particles. I realize that a bandana is a poor filter for this purpose but I fold mine over twice so that I have 4 layers of fabric plus I insert a paper towel in between the bandana. I'm thinking a better option would be to get my hands on a hepa filter to stick in the bandana. But until then I believe I have a pretty good filter here. If I'm mistaken, please let me know. I'm definitely no scientist.

Where you correct is that COVID or most Bio-aerosols range in size from 1.0 to 5.0 μm - which technically won't be stopped by an N95 mask if a steady stream of it is blast at a high velocity - the surface area of mask will typically stop a high percentage of single particles that can remain in the air after someone coughs, etc.

But the biggest reasons to wear masks is buried in the last part of that previous sentence and it's not framed in this way because it's not super positive sounding : if you have COVID and don't know it - a mask will stop you from aerosolizing something like 98% of the particles coming from your mouth for the people around you.

100% this. Everyone going around in full hazmat-level PPE is not feasible, but if we do go out we should ALL protect each other by lowering the percentage of airborne particles coming out of our mouths and noses due to the simple acts of breathing and speaking. If we reduce by even a small percentage the likelihood that someone who is asymptomatic spreads particles via moisture droplets to others then the overall risk level for EVERYONE goes down, especially the people who are at a higher risk than others to begin with.

I don't want us to open up the country without some common sense measures in place until we have a vaccine in place and a level of herd immunity, but I also want people to get back to work. Common sense says that the very least we can do is wear a mask and stay a few feet away from everyone when in public.

I have a higher stake in this than some, because a worst case scenario involves my wife (recently diagnosed with a chronic and progressive lung disorder) or my mother (elderly) getting exposed to COVID-19. If either of them are exposed then it is a death sentence, full stop.

Guitar Center - I had to go check it out - just got back. I haven't been to the local GC since early March.

They had a billboard outside that read 'Line Up Here', for when they get over capacity.
There were arrows all over the floor showing the directions to walk.
They also had 'stand here' lines for the checkouts - to keep 6 foot distance.
Everyone had a mask on. I also brought gloves with me, but didn't really need them.

So different - the new normal - but still good to go back and see people there.

Oh - and no deals. There were some great deals to be had right before they shut down.
But everything today was at the normal price. Nothing caught my eye, so I didn't ask.

Last edited:
There were some great deals to be had right before they shut down.
But everything today was at the normal price.

Reminds me of a sign I saw at a bar way back when that read, "Free beer tomorrow."

There's never free beer, as it's never tomorrow. When you get there tomorrow, tomorrow will be the next day.

Presently the death toll suggests that the coronavirus is twice as bad as the flu. 80,000 deaths from the flu in 5 months during a bad flu outbreak last year equates to 16,000 deaths per month or 192,000 deaths per year. Thus far there are over 100,000 deaths in the US over the past 3 months. That works out to 33,333 deaths per month or 400,000 deaths per year.
Oh really? Remind me again the last time the entire country quarantined for the flu. If we didn't follow social distancing and quarantining the country, do you honestly believe we would have 100,000 deaths right now? Please....?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back