Yamaha Crosstown Lightweight Hardware

NouveauCliche

Heyo!

I was completely unaware of the existence of this hardware until a couple of threads on here....but based on discussion and reviews - I picked a set up and it came in today!

First impressions:

WOW.

This is strikingly light weight....and I'm not going from double braced stands either - I'm actually using the Gibraltar flat base stuff on my primary kit and this just blows it out of the water.

Each stand is rock solid...it just takes a minute or two get used to how they feel....it's so light that it almost feels like plastic - but there's sturdier metal where it counts - all the parts you tighten down, etc.

These aren't boom cymbal stands - but for me - this will pair with my get around town smaller kit with a 16" bass drum, etc. so I've never huge booms for that kit.

The hats aren't adjustable - but the spring is strong and had a nice medium tension - perfectly usable. The tripod also doesn't rotate - so if you use double pedals that might be an issue.

The case is great - feels like it can last a while and has extra room for more stuff.

I'm just really shocked how light these are - I can lift the whole thing out in front of me with no problems - these are crazy and something I've been waiting forever for!

Attachments

• IMG_1879_50.jpg
    IMG_1879_50.jpg
    713.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1880_3_45.jpg
    IMG_1880_3_45.jpg
    890.1 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1881_1_42.jpg
    IMG_1881_1_42.jpg
    821 KB · Views: 33
I've read there are no memory locks, not even on the HH stand, so it tends to move downward as you play. Also, there's understandably no boom, but curious if one can be adapted, or if the whole thins will just topple over. I only need one boom for my ride, but I still do need it. I've been contemplating the set, but have been waiting to see them in person to figure out on my own. As usual, no one carries these locally.

I bought a set a few months ago and love them. Would like a lightweight boom stand someday - maybe DW ultralight/ I wonder why Yamaha don't make one. There is a thread on here that describes how the response / tension on the hi hat stand can be adjusted by taking it apart and adding some washers. I did this, quite easy to do.

Is the hi hat only an issue if the cymbals are large (more than 14”) or heavy? I’d like to get the whole set - I don’t use a double pedal or a boom stand. But if the hi hat keeps sinking, it’s a no go.

I'll wait until they make them nicer looking.

Aluminum can be polished to resemble chrome.

I'm not feeling the squarish legs either.

a friend of mine uses all crosstown hardware except for the hi hat stand, because the legs dont swivel he cant fit his double pedal in comfortably enough. i tried it and i like the hardware, i just wish they did some boom arms as id be sold on them if they did!

Reactions: Jml
I'm sure this is good stuff, as Yamaha's reputation is excellent. Even so, I'll be sticking with Pearl. My Pearl 900 Series hardware leaves nothing to be desired, at least not for me. When you desire nothing more, change is pointless.

The Crosstown stands look like camera tripods.

I dunno.........the concept is great in regards to the lightweight aspect, but they just look awful to my eyes.

Heyo!

I was completely unaware of the existence of this hardware until a couple of threads on here....but based on discussion and reviews - I picked a set up and it came in today!

First impressions:

WOW.

This is strikingly light weight....and I'm not going from double braced stands either - I'm actually using the Gibraltar flat base stuff on my primary kit and this just blows it out of the water.

Each stand is rock solid...it just takes a minute or two get used to how they feel....it's so light that it almost feels like plastic - but there's sturdier metal where it counts - all the parts you tighten down, etc.

These aren't boom cymbal stands - but for me - this will pair with my get around town smaller kit with a 16" bass drum, etc. so I've never huge booms for that kit.

The hats aren't adjustable - but the spring is strong and had a nice medium tension - perfectly usable. The tripod also doesn't rotate - so if you use double pedals that might be an issue.

The case is great - feels like it can last a while and has extra room for more stuff.

I'm just really shocked how light these are - I can lift the whole thing out in front of me with no problems - these are crazy and something I've been waiting forever for!

Nice review. Thanks.

There is a thread on here that describes how the response / tension on the hi hat stand can be adjusted by taking it apart and adding some washers. I did this, quite easy to do.

I searched and could not find the link.
I just purchased the crosstown HH and would like to give this a try.

I've read there are no memory locks, not even on the HH stand, so it tends to move downward as you play. Also, there's understandably no boom, but curious if one can be adapted, or if the whole thins will just topple over. I only need one boom for my ride, but I still do need it. I've been contemplating the set, but have been waiting to see them in person to figure out on my own. As usual, no one carries these locally.

That's true - there are no memory locks - I have a live stream show tomorrow night - I'll report back on how the hats stand up.

Regarding the looks - I was a little iffy - but after picking these things up....I'm a changed man haha. I have my flat based I can use for photo shoots - but for gigs - these are going to be my go to for a while.

Although I agree it should have a memory lock on the hi hat post, how hard is it to find one? For the $$ it should come with one but it’s not like drummers have never been the type to add to or modify an existing piece of gear after the fact.

I remember the days before memory locks. In fact I remember the days of metal on metal contact. We all managed, hi hats and cymbal stands didn't automatically all sink overnight.
I need to ask the question because no one has directly challenged it, is hi hat sink a known issue on the Crosstown hi hat stand? I've kind of followed Crosstown threads on Drummerworld and until now I've never seen or heard of anyone leveling this as a criticism.If it does happen then it's a fair question, if it doesn't then we're complaining over nothing and possibly smearing a product with no evidence.

Back