New drums for quarantine

What do they sound like compared/contrasted with the collectors maple sets you’ve owned?
There’s a bit more low end thump attributed to the vertical grained mahogany on the inside, and then couple that with 2-ply heads and you in the low zone.

Regular Collectors maple have rings, which raises the pitch. And when you couple that with 2-ply heads instead of the anemic DW stock heads, the results are more pleasing than what I’ve experienced before.

There’s a bit more low end thump attributed to the vertical grained mahogany on the inside, and then couple that with 2-ply heads and you in the low zone.

Regular Collectors maple have rings, which raises the pitch. And when you couple that with 2-ply heads instead of the anemic DW stock heads, the results are more pleasing than what I’ve experienced before.
Are these Cherry/Mahogany shells the same thickness as the other Collector's shells...but just without re-rings?

I see a gap in the top pic, it might be a shadow. The bottom one the hoop is obviously sticking out. You can see the change in color and the edge of the hoop. That is unacceptable in a drumset that is supposed to be of the highest quality.
I see an axe being ground...I have seen that on every kit i have ever seen. It's hardly indicative of anything

Gorgeous drums Bo. One of your best ever. Especially love the sizes. Ninety-nine percent of Collector’s Series kits come with the 22x18, which had been the industry standard. Almost everyone else has moved to a 14” or 16” depth (my ProLite kit splits the difference), a trend I support.

Gorgeous drums Bo. One of your best ever. Especially love the sizes. Ninety-nine percent of Collector’s Series kits come with the 22x18, which had been the industry standard. Almost everyone else has moved to a 14” or 16” depth (my ProLite kit splits the difference), a trend I support.
18” deep is out for me. I can’t get that depth into the back seat of my truck! I can get a 16x28 into my truck but not a 18x22 ?

Certain sacrifices had to be made.
Ahh I’m sorry to hear that.
Huge Pearl fan here, but DW might be one of the few, so this is not a sidestep by any means.

Utopian way, I was thinking you were riding off into the sunset with both kits, nonetheless, if that’s what your after, way to get it brotha! (I do agree with you on the Camco sentiments) I am way to young to have seen the Camco scene, but Cosmo is one of my favorites and pocket influence.
Moreover, if Camco design and build was good enough for 2 major drum companies to form after Camco (Way to DW and Hoshino to Tama) through dissolution/dissolving, then that speaks a lot about their R&D for that time forward.

If you don’t mind me asking - Was the Reference the kit you put the BB3 bracket for tom holders?
If so, did that decrease your trade in, did they acknowledge that favorably or not, did you have to up sell?
I completely understand if you don’t want to get into detail.

Last edited:
I see an axe being ground...I have seen that on every kit i have ever seen. It's hardly indicative of anything

I have no axe to grind. Just something I noticed. I would say the same thing about a new car with uneven fender gap. Some of us notice those things.

Certain sacrifices had to be made.
Oh wow. That's heavy. I thought you were gonna keep the References, being it's the only set I can think of that's made of mixed shells.

Tough call. What balls he has.

Ahh I’m sorry to hear that.
Huge Pearl fan here, but DW might be one of the few, so this is not a sidestep by any means.

Utopian way, I was thinking you were riding off into the sunset with both kits, nonetheless, if that’s what your after, way to get it brotha! (I do agree with you on the Camco sentiments) I am way to young to have seen the Camco scene, but Cosmo is one of my favorites and pocket influence.
Moreover, if Camco design and build was good enough for 2 major drum companies to form after Camco (Way to DW and Hoshino to Tama) through dissolution/dissolving, then that speaks a lot about their R&D for that time forward.

If you don’t mind me asking - Was the Reference the kit you put the BB3 bracket for tom holders?
If so, did that decrease your trade in, did they acknowledge that favorably or not, did you have to up sell?
I completely understand if you don’t want to get into detail.
Yes, it was that kit. And I didn’t trade it. A person I know saw it and expressed how much he liked it, so we struck an extremely fair deal. The BB3 never came up in the conversation. It was a happy circumstance to have come across these non-maple DW’s at about the same time. The snares are even sounding incredible.

Oh wow. That's heavy. I thought you were gonna keep the References, being it's the only set I can think of that's made of mixed shells.

Tough call. What balls he has.
The new kit is mixed woods too, cherry mahogany. The Reference was maple mahogany. Pearl doesn’t do cherry, so it’s not like I settled for something pedestrian. But yeah, balls ?

Yes, it was that kit. And I didn’t trade it. A person I know saw it and expressed how much he liked it, so we struck an extremely fair deal. The BB3 never came up in the conversation. It was a happy circumstance to have come across these non-maple DW’s at about the same time. The snares are even sounding incredible.
So no regrets? I’ve noticed several times where you mentioned how much you dug the reference concept and how you liked that kit.

So no regrets? I’ve noticed several times where you mentioned how much you dug the reference concept and how you liked that kit.
Maybe later, but now, none. I think the 18” depth of the bass drum, making it impossible to load into a car outweighed the coolness of the instrument. If I can’t easily get it anywhere without making it a special event, then it’s difficult to use.

Back