Favorite piece of gear that's not a drum or cymbal.

cdrums21

Gold Member
Do you have a favorite something in your official list of gear that isn't a drum or cymbal? A microphone maybe? Tactile monitoring system? Sadly, I have nothing to contribute, just curious as to what you guys have that you really like.

My Porter and Davies BC Gigster. Just got it a week ago, and it instantly became my favorite thing because of how much it's changed my drumming for the better.

My bass drum playing no longer feels slightly detached from my hands. I'm more in control over my rhythms and grooves. This thing is actually making me better.

PNJVge9.jpg

My Porter and Davies BC Gigster. Just got it a week ago, and it instantly became my favorite thing because of how much it's changed my drumming for the better.

My bass drum playing no longer feels slightly detached from my hands. I'm more in control over my rhythms and grooves. This thing is actually making me better.

PNJVge9.jpg
I'm glad you said this. I've been toying with the idea of getting one. Question....what do you like better, what you mentioned about improving your playing or the actual sound of the bass drum when you're playing it? I have read that it sounds in your ears and head like a mic'ed up bass drum in the front of house. True?

sE Electronics se8 Matched pair condenser microphones.
Beautiful drum/cymbal capture! Around $530.00

Roc 'n' Soc throne.
Gibraltar Ultra Adjust snare stand
Protean drum key
DW 9002 pedal
Xymox Reserve Snare
Remo Brush-Up pad
Colaiuta sig drum sticks
Pustjens sig sticks
Regal tip brushes

DW5000 & 5002 pedals
Vic Firth American Classic 1A sticks
Roc n Soc throne

All three of the above are important to me

I like my Anthology leather cymbal bag and leather stick bag.

I’m really fond of my custom modified DW5000 Bass Drum pedal. Sucks to play a bass pedal that doesn’t fit your shoe size.

Pete

I'm glad you said this. I've been toying with the idea of getting one. Question....what do you like better, what you mentioned about improving your playing or the actual sound of the bass drum when you're playing it? I have read that it sounds in your ears and head like a mic'ed up bass drum in the front of house. True?
The bass does sound bigger and louder when the Porter & Davies is turned on. It's crazy. I haven't played super loud stages in a long time though, so that was not the reason I got it.

I bought it because I wanted to feel more connected to the bass drum, more closely synced up, and most importantly get my bass drum notes into the groove with my hands. My bass drum tends to be slightly ahead of the groove and it was throwing my balance off slightly. In the week since I've had it, it has absolutely brought my bass notes back by maybe 20-50 ms, which is awesome.

It doesn't feel like the Buttkicker Mini Concert I used before. That thing was weak, like a heavy buzzer on your butt. The P&D doesn't really buzz your butt like you'd think. It vibrates your entire torso, like you're sitting in front of a woofer or something.

I really love the AHEAD sticks I've used for the last few years (5B Light Rock model). I scoffed at the idea of synthetic sticks for a very long time. Now I can't imagine using anything else.

My throne. It's a WorldMax tractor throne, but don't know the type or model number. I bought it around around 2004 or so and it's still going strong!
Just like Deen Castronovo stated in that old VHS tape of his: the most important part of your setup is the throne. Without a good one, you can't play good if you're not comfortable.

Rug - One of the most important bits of kit any drummer can own.
Fan - Making sure the drummer is the coolest guy on stage
Ludwig Blue/Olive Stool - Got it to match the Ludwig, it's no nonsense and very comfortable
DW5000 strap drive, best pedal ever

I have a Reunion Blues brown leather stickbag that I'm fond of.

Also the Protecion Racket AAA 24" cymbal vault is the bees knees.

Back