Tension Rod Issue on Snare

this is the snare that came with the Broadkaster kit I bought a few months ago. all of the tension rods are a little off (the one pictured is the worst- there's probably two like this). no matter what I do I can't seem to get them to line up straight. if I make any adjustments to one it just causes the next one to be off. is this just poor construction? is there any way to remedy this?

IMG_8143.jpg

Do you have a tape measure? Measure lug to lug looking for variance in equidistance. That looks like a full 3/16" of horizontal splay, and might best be handled by Gretsch under warranty. On the inside of the shell, are there tooling marks that indicate slippage (oval/angled drill holes, marring, and such)?

Take measurements, Contact Gretsch USA with your findings. Expect to wait a bit due to the pandemic.

Do you have a tape measure? That looks like a full 3/16" of horizontal splay, and might best be handled by Gretsch under warranty.

Take measurements, Contact Gretsch USA with your findings. Expect to wait a bit due to the pandemic.

I do. I'll try and make some more adjustments and see if that drastic splay changes at all.

I've actually been in touch with a Gretsch rep. for new floor tom legs and brackets for this kit as well. they were prepping to send the new ones right before the factory shutdown (I notified them of the issue back in January, which is a bit frustrating). she reached back out two weeks ago and said they were just getting back to the factory and to follow up again in two weeks. I emailed her yesterday and am awaiting a response. I was planning on letting her know of this issue as well.

That's a NEW Broadkaster kit? Wow. . .I certainly hope they take care of that. Bad Q.C.

That's a NEW Broadkaster kit? Wow. . .I certainly hope they take care of that. Bad Q.C.

yup! not sure when it was produced, but I won it on an ebay auction from a California based music store in January. it was sold as new. came in all the original packaging and boxes. there were some minor scuffs and scratches in a few spots, but nothing really too concerning. it was listed on their website for $4,800- which is absurd. not sure how long they've had it, but I'm sure it was sitting with them for awhile with that price tag. I wasn't in the market for a new kit, but the price was too good and I bid at the last second not thinking I would be the only person bidding. (they had it listed under the wrong category and had a basic stock picture. I thought it was fake at first) my initial plan was to try and flip the kit, but I've always liked the Broadkasters and couldn't justify buying them at their retail price (or even second hand price for that matter). they're really nice and sound good, so I decided to hang on to them!

along with the tension rod issue I was unable to get the floor tom legs to slide into the brackets without a lot of force and manipulation. I didn't pay nearly as much as they retail for, but for this being a high end kit I am a bit disappointed in terms of quality.

yup! not sure when it was produced, but I won it on an ebay auction from a California based music store in January. it was sold as new. came in all the original packaging and boxes. there were some minor scuffs and scratches in a few spots, but nothing really too concerning. it was listed on their website for $4,800- which is absurd. not sure how long they've had it, but I'm sure it was sitting with them for awhile with that price tag. I wasn't in the market for a new kit, but the price was too good and I bid at the last second not thinking I would be the only person bidding. (they had it listed under the wrong category and had a basic stock picture. I thought it was fake at first) my initial plan was to try and flip the kit, but I've always liked the Broadkasters and couldn't justify buying them at their retail price (or even second hand price for that matter). they're really nice and sound good, so I decided to hang on to them!

along with the tension rod issue I was unable to get the floor tom legs to slide into the brackets without a lot of force and manipulation. I didn't pay nearly as much as they retail for, but for this being a high end kit I am a bit disappointed in terms of quality.

get in touch via ebay saying not sold as seen/product defective. even though it was bought "as new" its still classed as 2nd hand(unless the shop are providing a warranty with it?) and gretsch may not do anything about it.

get in touch via ebay saying not sold as seen/product defective. even though it was bought "as new" its still classed as 2nd hand(unless the shop are providing a warranty with it?) and gretsch may not do anything about it.

I am hoping Gretsch will just take care of it so I don't have to go that route, as it's been a few months now since the purchase. Gretsch was in the process of sending me new floor tom legs without any issue (after sending purchase receipt and pictures) right before the shutdown. We'll see if they correct this issue too.

Is it just the one lug that's out of sync with the rest of them? That's totally unacceptable, no excuses for that.

I love that Satin Copper Mist finish!

Is it just the one lug that's out of sync with the rest of them? That's totally unacceptable, no excuses for that.

I love that Satin Copper Mist finish!

it's a really pretty finish! pictures don't really do it much justice.

nope, it's just about every one. if I make one straight then the next one is a little screwed up, and then the next one, and so on...

seems to be both sides too.

IMG_8144.jpg IMG_8145.jpg IMG_8146.jpg IMG_8147.jpg IMG_8148.jpg IMG_8149.jpg IMG_8150.jpg

You don't hear about too many problems like these with Gretsch. I'm sure it doesn't happen often. I hope you get it all straightened out soon. (y)

it's a really pretty finish! pictures don't really do it much justice.

nope, it's just about every one. if I make one straight then the next one is a little screwed up, and then the next one, and so on...

seems to be both sides too.

View attachment 92655 View attachment 92656 View attachment 92657 View attachment 92658 View attachment 92659 View attachment 92660 View attachment 92661

What the heck Gretsch?!

IBzaEAa.png

I just removed all the rods to see if maybe some were bent or something, but I didn't find anything wrong there. thinking it's definitely the lugs that are off as I couldn't get the hoops in line when I tried.

Wow. I'm stunned at the $4800 price tag of that kit. You didn't actually pay that, did you?? I thought my Luddies were a lot at about 1300 (though I see they have gone up, now. About 2100 for what I paid 1300 for).

Anyway, that snare ought to be pristine, I'd think.

Wow. I'm stunned at the $4800 price tag of that kit. You didn't actually pay that, did you?? I thought my Luddies were a lot at about 1300 (though I see they have gone up, now. About 2100 for what I paid 1300 for).

Anyway, that snare ought to be pristine, I'd think.

heck no! haha. that price is totally absurd. all of their gear on their actual website is really expensive though. I paid $1,500 for the 4pc kit- 13, 16, 24, 6.5x14 snare all with the 'vintage build'. I am not sure what they actually retail for though- I'd imagine closer to $3k or so. for the price there shouldn't be any issues at all.

this is actually still on their website: Capture.PNG.

some other kits they have for sale that are way more expensive than anywhere else: 2.PNG

Take the bottom hoop off and put it on the top. If it's the hoop, the lugs will splay up top.

If 1 lug is off, it should only effect the one lug, however it would splay top and bottom.

If your hoop is off center, it will splay all your rods sideways. Loosen the effected side and recenter the hoop.

If you really suspect it is the lugs themselves, take both the hoops off and put the tension rods back in the lugs. If they still appear to splay without any tension on them, it's the lugs. If they are straight, you have a hoop issue.

A warped or bent hoop will also cause lug splay. Check for flatness.

so the Gretsch rep. actually gave me a call today to clear some stuff up. along with covid causing delays, my case is a bit of an odd one as well which has prolonged this. he's had to talk to several people within the company, including John Good. apparently the company I bought them from has had a lot of issues with Gretsch over the years and might not even be in business anymore? normally they would have told me to go through the dealer, but they said they would take care of it directly. there's a good chance my set was a floor model in the store as well, which would make sense given a few markings on the kit.

anyway, the legs/brackets were shipped out the other day and he's going to have me send back the snare and they will build a new one. this color is no longer offered so they are going to mix it up special for this drum. definitely impressed by the level of customer service and the willingness to correct this issue!

Back