All You Really Need Kits..

• Thread starter paradiddle pete
  • Start date
P

paradiddle pete

Possibly all you really need , hi hats , ride , flat base stands, bass pedal, bass drum and snare. post some pics of all that you really need. Oh and a Stool.

Attachments

• IMG_9636.jpeg
    IMG_9636.jpeg
    287.7 KB · Views: 36
Last edited by a moderator:
Didn’t you hear? You’re an entertainer whether you like it or not. So you need more stuff and you can’t play boring time. And it can never be black.

You tryin to start a riot?

Yes, when the litany of percussive prescriptions reaches its summit, we'll scarcely be able to pick up sticks without undergoing a thorough screening. Drumming will be harder than getting through airport security. If you want to gig, you'll need to schedule a checkup two weeks in advance.

Didn’t you hear? You’re an entertainer whether you like it or not. So you need more stuff and you can’t play boring time. And it can never be black.

You tryin to start a riot?
Well if you can't do what is needed on that basic set up you aren't really trying. Tuxedo could be worn if one is feeling particularly stylish or attractive even. Barefoot probably. No not starting a riot but I am wondering when drummers became GOD forbid politically correct or even well behaved. that was a sad day.. If it's political it couldn't be correct.

I was in a band for a while where all I needed was that same simple set-up (occasionally I'd add a small crash.) The one time I tried to be clever and add a rack tom was a disaster. Every time I went to the tom for a fill, I knew it was just wrong.

Bermuda

80% of drumming greatness is accomplished with snare, kick, hats, and ride. IMHO

Which makes Hal Blaine’s monster Blaemire concert tom kits kind of funny. Cool as heck to the drumming community, but not super-crucial to the larger history of our recorded music history.

I still love my Jenkins-Martin toms, though. LOL All 8 of them.

Oh, yeah...vocals should sing only 3 notes(of their choosing) and I recommend guitar amps be preset/limited to “5” and can only activate 2 strings Per song???

80% of drumming greatness is accomplished with snare, kick, hats, and ride. IMHO

Which makes Hal Blaine’s monster Blaemire concert tom kits kind of funny. Cool as heck to the drumming community, but not super-crucial to the larger history of our recorded music history.

I still love my Jenkins-Martin toms, though. LOL All 8 of them.
But Hal Blaine PLAYED on 80% of modern music ☺

I was in a band for a while where all I needed was that same simple set-up (occasionally I'd add a small crash.) The one time I tried to be clever and add a rack tom was a disaster. Every time I went to the tom for a fill, I knew it was just wrong.

Bermuda
I keep thinking about using a rack tom for my first gig (if it ever happens). Why? Cos it's my new kit and I think it will look better. ??

Possibly all you really need , hi hats , ride , flat base stands, bass pedal, bass drum and snare. post some pics of all that you really need. Oh and a Stool.
Some did away with the hi hats as well. I resisted the temptation to buy more equipment. If I only had one more cymbal or maybe a cowbell. Bonham had one right. But somehow I knew that less was more. Overtime I started to appreciate the creativity of a few instruments. We forget that each drum and cymbal is an instrument in itself and can produce unlimited sounds. But you got to have two snares. It just looks good.
p.s. I like those flat base stands.

The thing is that the drums can be the most impressive of all instruments on stage and it can get absurd sometimes.
The choice of what to bring says a lot about the drummer. To me anyway, and I quickly dismiss any drummer that has a lot of cymbals and drums and quirky things. I pay attention to the minimalistic drummers and want to learn. It's the snare that matters anyway, the rest is fluff, except the ride. And for drummers starting out...get a good round throne.

Last edited:

I played a radio show with my band in Alaska once and all I had was a 12" efx splash cymbal, the table and a some of those Vic Firth vic firh dread locks.

We also did a whole clinic in Canada and all I had was a ride cymbal brushes and a table - so I guess just a cymbal and something to hit it with are my bare minimum.

This thing. If I dont have this thing, I really don't wanna play the drums.

81BcYI25o9L._AC_SX425_.jpg

The rest of it doesnt matter. 1 cymbal, zero toms, I dont care as long as I can run two feet.

Oh, yeah...vocals should sing only 3 notes(of their choosing) and I recommend guitar amps be preset/limited to “5” and can only activate 2 strings Per song???
3 Chords and the Truth.

Back