Remo Vintage Emperor Coated

I've gotcha now. I was confused because you said opaque, as in cannot see through, which would be the smooth white film. I'd call the vintage film hazy since you can still see through it, it just isn't truly water clear like the modern Emperor film.

Have you tried a smooth white coated Emperor? Those should be 7+7-mil.

So, you mean a coated smooth white Emperor? I believe Remo already makes that head, or did in the past. If it isn't a current production item they still might make them for you as a special order.
The film used in the smooth white heads is a more solid white than the film used in either Ambassadors or Vintage Emps. which is more of a milky white. I don't know if they'd sound the same or not.

EDIT - never mind, I didn't see Winston_Wolf's last post. You are correct sir. :)

Have you tried a smooth white coated Emperor? Those should be 7+7-mil.
The coated smooth white emperors are 2 plies of 7.5 ml film too unfortunately, and like Stroman said, not the milky white film that I am speaking of. All other emperor offerings are 2 plies of 7.5 mil film. Believe me, I've been in search of the old emperors (not vintage emperors) the way they were made back then to no avail. Years ago, I contacted Brian Levan, who is the national sales manager for Remo, and inquired about those heads and why they didn't make them like that anymore. He wasn't aware that they were made like that ( a young guy) but heard other older drummers comment about them. I still had one on a snare drum and assured him they did exist. He attributed the change of just coating the glass clear film to cost and availability. Who knows? Whatever the current coated ambassador film is, that's what I'd like to see the coated emperor made of, in 7 mil plies. That film sounds great and the coating sticks. That's been on my wish list for years :).

Last edited:
Smooth White heads are made from a different material other than the 'regular' film Remo uses (just plain Remo Smooth White film)

I put regular clear emperors on mine, love them. I couldn't decide between the coated and clear but either would have worked for me. Also replaced the PS3 batter with a clear emperor on the bass drum, suits my desires way more. Now considering replacing the stock PS3 resonant with an ambassador.

I have a vintage emperor for my LM402, but I'm using a regular coated now for no specific reason. Now you have me curious of how vintage emperors would sound on the toms... is it really that much of a difference?

I put regular clear emperors on mine, love them. I couldn't decide between the coated and clear but either would have worked for me. Also replaced the PS3 batter with a clear emperor on the bass drum, suits my desires way more. Now considering replacing the stock PS3 resonant with an ambassador.

I have a vintage emperor for my LM402, but I'm using a regular coated now for no specific reason. Now you have me curious of how vintage emperors would sound on the toms... is it really that much of a difference?
Vintage emperors sound great on toms and there isn't that much of a difference. I like clear emperors for live work, they cut better and seem a little louder than the coated, although like you, either one would be fine. I recently changed my clear emps to vintage clear emps on my Ludwig classic maple kit. 13/16/18 toms. The difference is slightly more attack and the decay is just a tad shorter. Other than that, very similar. I like them when playing mic'ed because I don't use any muffling on my toms and the slightly shorter decay helps the toms to be mic'ed up easily without having too much sustain. But, I sometimes miss the extra touch of resonance in some rooms. I really like them though, both regular and vintage. I also have a 1976 402 and it currently has a coated vintage emperor on it. I like it, but truth be told, I prefer the regular coated emperor.....just a little more open and less of a "midrangey" vibe to my ears. Hope this helps answer your question! How do you like the clear emp on your kick? What muffling are you using and are you mic'ing the kick drum?

How do you like the clear emp on your kick? What muffling are you using and are you mic'ing the kick drum?

I recall also preferring the regular emperor on my snare. Nice to know about the vintage emperors though I might have to pick up a set for recording. Also using 13/16/18.

I much prefer the clear emp, the PS3 head sounds great but I wasn't fond of how focused it is. I wanted a wider and more open bass drum sound. Just using a 4" felt strip on each head, honestly might not even need them the 24x14 is a great open sounding drum imo. I have it mic'd up with no port hole, with the clear emp I've been able to get a pretty awesome bass drum mix between the bd mic and the overheads.

I recall also preferring the regular emperor on my snare. Nice to know about the vintage emperors though I might have to pick up a set for recording. Also using 13/16/18.

I much prefer the clear emp, the PS3 head sounds great but I wasn't fond of how focused it is. I wanted a wider and more open bass drum sound. Just using a 4" felt strip on each head, honestly might not even need them the 24x14 is a great open sounding drum imo. I have it mic'd up with no port hole, with the clear emp I've been able to get a pretty awesome bass drum mix between the bd mic and the overheads.
Cool. My kick is 24x14 as well. Unfortunately for live playing in my situation, I have to port the front head for ease of mic placement for the sound guys. Just easier, less hassle that way. I love a big kick sound without the port though. For me, I noticed that I had to tune the drum up just a little higher to get it to have a nice punch and tonality. Have you noticed that as well?

Cool. My kick is 24x14 as well. Unfortunately for live playing in my situation, I have to port the front head for ease of mic placement for the sound guys. Just easier, less hassle that way. I love a big kick sound without the port though. For me, I noticed that I had to tune the drum up just a little higher to get it to have a nice punch and tonality. Have you noticed that as well?

I can't fully remember, where I have the bass drum now is a bit higher than I used to keep it. I think I did notice a pretty decent tone increase. With the ps3 I feel the only difference i noticed tuning up was pitch, punch and tone seemed to kinda stay the same. I haven't messed with it in a few months though.

Back