Dirty Loops Video: Live or Karaoke?

cbphoto

Diamond Member
I fell upon this music video by Dirty Loops recently (love the tune & musicianship) and wondered if it was recorded live or to a pre-recorded track. If it was played along to a pre-recorded track, the drummer has it down.

Does anyone have a clue?

At the very least, there is some sequenced stuff added into the mix.

Yep. It’s as their moniker implies; they use loops all the time. But I think it’s a live recording.

The musicianship on display is just ridiculous.

Agreed.

I'm so glad Quincy Jones is part of their lives now. He knows just how talented these guys are.

Where to begin...

Dirty Loops is good, sure.....but are they THAT good? lol, no.....no they are not. What you're hearing is dozens or hundreds of hours of Pro Tools tomfoolery by some very talented producers.

Every single note played by each musician snaps perfectly to the grid. Every. Single. One.

Every single note played by each musician also sits perfectly in the pocket. Every. Single. One.

They're all talented musicians, don't get me wrong. But on top of that you have talented sound engineers and Pro Tools jockeys who carefully edit each and every note to make it sound "perfect."

Exhibit A:
This song is so "perfect" that it borders on the absurd. It sounds sterile, all the instruments sound like they were played by a robot groove band.

In the grand scheme of things, is this a bad thing at all? I dunno...maybe not. But what annoys me is the praise that this band gets, (over and above what they deserve.) The masses think they're the greatest band that ever lived.

This is closer to what Dirty Loops ACTUALLY sounds like when they can't edit it all in post. They still sound good, but nowhere near perfect...

The comments on that video are hilarious. They hear something less-than-perfect and flip out on the sound guy.
tAVhZm5.png

Q910ggF.png

Anika Nilles' videos are the same deal. Talented sound producers spend days or weeks editing her videos to sound perfect. She's a great drummer, and doesn't need to rely on this sort of "photoshopping".

That live concert in Singapore shows a spectacular performance that was recorded/mixed incorrectly.

Here's how it sounds & feels when a live performance is recorded properly:

Heavily processed? Yes, and it's a killer performance.

..Anika Nilles' videos are the same deal. Talented sound producers spend days or weeks editing her videos to sound perfect..

I am still waiting for your answer in this thread, because you stayed kinda quiet..:

And btw, if those producers would have been busy that much with making everything sound perfect, then why have they not repaired that snare drum hit just after 0.34 that falls just a little too early..?

I mean the first backbeat on 2 after that little fill..

Last edited:
I am still waiting for your answer in this thread, because you stayed kinda quiet..:

And btw, if those producers would have been busy that much with making everything sound perfect, then why have they not repaired that snare drum hit just after 0.34 that falls just a little too early..?

I mean the first backbeat on 2 after that little fill..
You're waiting for my answer to what exactly?

..Here's a thread I posted on Reddit 5 years ago on this very topic, concerning one of Anika's other videos..

Also that thread makes no sense..

The only theory you seem to have is..: sounds too perfect, meaning can not be true..

Thats a theory based on nothing at all..

There goes a story from a producer (forgot which one) telling that Colaiuta played each rim click in the studio on exactly the same sound level, Weckl sounds completely perfect on all his albums, every Yellowjackets album is perfectly played, etc..

That list is endless..

And then what Anika Nilles plays is impossible..?

Or is the whole world just fake..?

Last edited:
Another Quincy-Jones-produced Dirty Loops video has surfaced. The music is pro-tools polished, but it sounds great and…that bassist!

Another Quincy-Jones-produced Dirty Loops video has surfaced. The music is pro-tools polished, but it sounds great and…that bassist!

It's for sure edited. There are 6 musicians listed on the track not in the video. There is also 30 seconds worth of video and editing credits. This was not one take by any means.

This bands seems strange to me. Like this is what happens when metalheads turn pop.

The raw chops are just awesome, including the singer. The actual song itself is nothing super-special. That snare drum is cranked at least a full turn higher than I would want, though. And it’s too dry.

But the chops, though.

Especially that bass player. He looks like he just walked off stage from playing with a punk band from the late 70s.

Korn is what came to my mind. Like he didn't wanna clean up like the singer and drummer when a musical shift was decided. Still gotta wear leather jackets though.

And I agree, they all have monster chops.

Henrik is an amazing bass player... and, I say this as a semi-pro bass player for....a really long time. He's playing on other levels.

That said, the band are all amazing players, and, also, are heavily processed in the recording....um, process.

Isn't this the case for much of popular music?
Look at all the pop bands made up of session players... There's more than few.

edit- that Singapore recording is brutal... they are so good, and it's mostly for naught.

There is a lot of everything going on there, but when did music have to be perfect. They are doing their thing and the seats are filled. People like old vinyl because it sounds raw, not fabricated, there are mistakes. I like the sound, and I have no issues with loops. They are taking advantage of the technology, just as Buddy Holly did when he was the first to over dub his own voice. He couldn't do it live and no one expected him to. Hansen are still touring as well.

Back