Top 10 Led Zeppelin Songs for Drums

For me, Bonham is at his best in two Zeppelin tracks:

I. Kashmir: Bonham is in one time signature; the band is in another. If he fails to function as an infallible rhythmic machine, the whole ensemble falls to pieces. He holds things together immaculately, and monotonously, for almost nine minutes. Timekeeping, not fancy riffs and decorative fills, is the essence of great drumming. Bonham puts on a timekeeping clinic in Kashmir.

II. No quarter: The song is wrought with incalculable subtlety. In its subdued simplicity, the drumming is perfect for the song. The transitions are seamless and velvety, all the while conveying the urgency and punch of Bonham's inimitable feel. Perfection, I tell you. Absolute and deity-like perfection.

To my ear, Bonham's straightforward, no-frills beats are better than Buddy Rich's most advanced solos.

I got four, mostly based on my enjoyment of playing said songs.

1. Trampled Underfoot
2. Misty Mountain Hop
3. Immigrant Song
4. All of My Love

All of My Love isn't a very popular drum song. I've heard people say it sounds like Bonham was sleeping during the recording of the drums. I like his choice of fills, laid back groove, and the repetitious three kick groove that starts and ends the instrumental section.

The songs most folks are gonna list I'm sick of. Radio done ruined most of Zeppelin for me. Stairway has been moved to the never wanna hear it again box.

As much as I would miss some of the later stuff....

All my Led Zep needs are completely filled by 1 & 2....

Truly at their best songwriting wise and the raw energy in those first two albums was never found on the later releases.

wait....what was the question? Lol

My favorites to play are:
1. Darlene
2. Since I've Been Loving You
3. Whole Lotta Love
4. The Rover
5. Thank You

No Quarter is indeed quite special.
Sick Again
Achilles Last Stand

I read somehwere the fast hihat stomping in Whole Lotta Love (middle part with the Theremin) is actually a tape loop.

No Quarter is indeed quite special.
Sick Again
Achilles Last Stand

I read somehwere the fast hihat stomping in Whole Lotta Love (middle part with the Theremin) is actually a tape loop.

Interesting possibility with regard to the loop for the hi-hat. You can find isolated tracks of much of Bonham's studio work. His grooves were just second to none.

"The Ocean"

"Good Times Bad Times"

We do Wanton Song, the Ocean, Ramble On and We’re Gonna Groove in my band. All great fun.
I practice the Poor Tom shuffle at home to work on my coordination, pretty tricky to get right at least for me!

I think @Pietro Valente deserves a nod for not only starting another thread on Bonham (which is always a good time), but for putting together a well thought out and well put together video. I thought he did a solid job playing, and I really enjoyed his analysis of each song and the criteria he thinks needs to be met in order to play it. Ordering them by increasing difficulty was also a nice touch.

Now I'm wondering, what are a handful of easier Led Zeppelin songs to learn? I'm thinking "Your Time is Gonna Come" and "All My Love" are a couple of them is one. Any others?

EDIT: because @MrInsanePolack probably knows better.

Last edited:
I'm thinking "Your Time is Gonna Come" and "All My Love" are

All of My Love is a bit trickier than you would think. Some of the fills have a falling down the stairs feel to them, some are quick triplet runs, and dont forget the big off time cymbal crashing disaster at the end. It's a fun song, but definitely not as straight forward as it may seem.

All of My Love is a bit trickier than you would think. Some of the fills have a falling down the stairs feel to them, some are quick triplet runs, and dont forget the big off time cymbal crashing disaster at the end. It's a fun song, but definitely not as straight forward as it may seem.

I've edited my post accordingly.

Back