Lockdown music quiz

Then solo acts should count. Just because the group is named after an individual doesn't mean it's not a group. By definition a group is more than one of a kind. I doubt the solo artists are doing it all themselves.

Oh seriously? Ignorant American question time, is Great Britian and United Kingdom the same thing then? I was under the impression that UK was England, Scotland, Wales, and (I had no idea) Northern Ireland, whereas Great Britain was just England. They dont teach us this stuff here, which is why I now feel stupid.

Not quite. The island of Great Britain is England, Wales and Scotland. The United Kingdom consists of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland and the outlying islands (other than the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man, which are Crown Dependencies), sort of a half-way-house. The United Kingdom is responsible for their defence but they are managed locally and can set their own taxes (and issue their own currency). It's... bloody complicated and archaic. But in effect, they have become tax havens.

As others have said, the full title is the 'United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland'.

Don't feel stupid. There's a 1,000 years of very complicated history.

Not quite. The island of Great Britain is England, Wales and Scotland. The United Kingdom consists of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland and the outlying islands (other than the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man, which are Crown Dependencies), sort of a half-way-house. The United Kingdom is responsible for their defence but they are managed locally and can set their own taxes (and issue their own currency). It's... bloody complicated and archaic. But in effect, they have become tax havens.

As others have said, the full title is the 'United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland'.

Don't feel stupid. There's a 1,000 years of very complicated history.

Okay, that makes sense. At least as well as its gonna not knowing the history. Except for the rich white folks in big houses telling everyone else what to do. That I understand very well! I think that's a universal policy.

Then solo acts should count. Just because the group is named after an individual doesn't mean it's not a group. By definition a group is more than one of a kind. I doubt the solo artists are doing it all themselves.

Oh seriously? Ignorant American question time, is Great Britian and United Kingdom the same thing then? I was under the impression that UK was England, Scotland, Wales, and (I had no idea) Northern Ireland, whereas Great Britain was just England. They dont teach us this stuff here, which is why I now feel stupid.
Virtually no-one in the UK can agree on the names for the islands and political constituents of the country!
The 'mainland' island is either 'Great Britain' or (according to QI the top tv quiz show) 'Albion' - but even the Govt Ordance Survey mapmakers had to correct their website info on this.
But if it's 'Great Britain' - that leaves all the Scottish Isles, Scillies and Isle of White out of the Union. Which is nuts.
So don't feel guilty. You never stood a chance.

Will the lockdown be lifted before the participants understand the question? Or will both end in civil breakdown?

Not my fault he wasn't specific in the original post then had to make addendums in order to adhere to his own idea.

Okay, that makes sense. At least as well as its gonna not knowing the history. Except for the rich white folks in big houses telling everyone else what to do. That I understand very well! I think that's a universal policy.

Hah! Very good. You have the prehistoric tribes, followed by the Romans (who integrated with the tribes and in some cases, fought them), then the Romans went, Saxons came around, the Vikings took over a lot of the Northern Kingdoms and forged a truce (the Danelaw), the Kingdoms of England (which were many, not a nation at this point) largely united under Alfred of Wessex, then you get the first Kings of England. The Scots are up to their own thing, occasionally fighting off the Vikings and the Welsh are fighting off the English. The Vikings continue to raid, try to take over - get thoroughly beaten then a Norman (important: NOT FRENCH) Duke invades immediately afterwards and wins. You're now in 1066...

It gets more complicated from there.

Hah! Very good. You have the prehistoric tribes, followed by the Romans (who integrated with the tribes and in some cases, fought them), then the Romans went, Saxons came around, the Vikings took over a lot of the Northern Kingdoms and forged a truce (the Danelaw), the Kingdoms of England (which were many, not a nation at this point) largely united under Alfred of Wessex, then you get the first Kings of England. The Scots are up to their own thing, occasionally fighting off the Vikings and the Welsh are fighting off the English. The Vikings continue to raid, try to take over - get thoroughly beaten then a Norman (important: NOT FRENCH) Duke invades immediately afterwards and wins. You're now in 1066...

It gets more complicated from there.

Holy crap.

I'm good with the question. Who is the person who played in at least two bands that charted number 1 singles in the UK. Multiply by 8. I think we're not digging deep enough. I'm betting it's mostly going to be a bass player or drummer who played for a group like The Shadows, or the Kinks, or the Small Faces and spanned two very similar core band iterations with different names.

Can I ask for a hint? Which decades or how many decades encompass the time span? e.g., "1950s to 1970s" or if you'd rather not give too much info, "three decades." If we're talking UK chart toppers in the 1930s, I'm out. ;)

I'm good with the question. Who is the person who played in at least two bands that charted number 1 singles in the UK. Multiply by 8. I think we're not digging deep enough. I'm betting it's mostly going to be a bass player or drummer who played for a group like The Shadows, or the Kinks, or the Small Faces and spanned two very similar core band iterations with different names.

Can I ask for a hint? Which decades or how many decades encompass the time span? e.g., "1950s to 1970s" or if you'd rather not give too much info, "three decades." If we're talking UK chart toppers in the 1930s, I'm out. ;)

First one is 1960’s. Last one is 2000’s. And only one of them is a drummer.

The original post looks perfectly unambiguous to me. Has it been edited since it was first posted?

There was nothing that stated no solo acts, only two distinctly formed bands. I contest that a band can be named after one person, and therefore solo acts should count. It was only after I listed people who had success as solo artists that this rule change appeared.

Holy crap.

We have two Ordnance Survey maps on the wall of our living room. One is a map of the various Prehistoric sites and tribal areas of Britain. The other is a Roman equivalent - with the tribes on it and Roman sites marked. Every time I look, there's more that I see. And you can drive from one end of Britain to the other in less than 16 hours if you don't stop.

I don't know if they've been mentioned, but I'm going to guess Save Winwood, Ginger Baker and Paul Rodgers?

Wouldn't surprise me if Hank Marvin was one of 'em, but how many bands were named "*somebody* and The Shadows." Not sure if that would count. I've got a Hank Marvin tribute CD called Twang. Good stuff with some monster instrumentalists.
!

Back