DCP Threads

I haven't worked since September, send some to me!!
As an administrator here, isn’t that considered work? Or do all of the admins volunteer their time?
Or maybe it’s like being an intern, where it’s all just for college credit.

Choices are good. The option to pass on a choice is even better.

I wonder how many sales Shane has made for other companies. Meaning people who saw Shane's shootout videos but bought from Sweetwater for example.

We all know that's a thing, people go for the best price, ungrateful lot we are lol..

Shane has got to know this. But he's cool as a glass of lemonade in a heatwave. He has no control over who buys what where. His videos are good for himself AND the whole business. There's a certain honesty there as well. He will always have my respect for giving us something that only a guy like him can provide. Free of charge. His dime, his time. Plus his videos...are exactly what drummers want. I hope he does well.

Memphis Drum Shop....I love their videos. Sweetwaters are OK too. What separates Shane from the crowd....like Steve Maxwell, Shane is the owner and he's right out there on the front lines. Major cred. Roy Burns answers his phone. Gary Gauger sent me 2 RIMS clips free of charge because he recognized my area code when I called him asking for some to buy. (He's from PA too.) Evans always sends me free heads if I get a dud, Aquarian too. Things like that earn my respect. Giving back.

If I was asked who the owner of Memphis Drum Shop was, I wouldn't know.

I've given Memphis Drum Shop thousands of dollars, so I'm not downing them, they're great. WITH A CYMBAL COLLECTION THAT GOD HIMSELF COVETS lol. I've seen it. Hole. Lee. Crap. I'd say they registered at about a Bermuda Factor 5, and that was 5 years ago. I went ear blind and didn't even hear 20% of what they had.

Guys like Shane should be celebrated and not taken for granted.

In the past, we had NOTHING like this ha ha. Videos. Painless price comparisons. Shootouts. Free shipping. Waaa!

Blessings counted.

Yes to all of this.

As an administrator here, isn’t that considered work? Or do all of the admins volunteer their time?
Or maybe it’s like being an intern, where it’s all just for college credit.

Yes, yes, and yes.

I'm the world's oldest freshman.

Funny, I recently have found myself surprised at how little I see/hear (be it an ad or member discussion) about DCP around here. I've only ordered from them twice but both times I was VERY pleased with the communication, quality and care of packaging, and fast shipping. When I purchased my pearl Midtown kit I shopped around to find the best price and it took me awhile because I really wanted the matching bag set. Long story short, I found them listing a single left over kit that was new in box with the bag set (also new in box) on reverb for around $650 (already a great deal) so I made an offer of $600 and I got a response in less then 5 minutes that they had accepted AND shipped for free the next morning. Brand New pearl Midtown with bags for $600 shipped... They can spam if they want because it will only lead to our members getting great deals.

You want to really get your blood boiling about a topic like this? Do some research on "Douglas Smythe", "Pedal Pusher Fancies/How To Grow A Moustache", and how/why that same company is now "Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements". Or "Vikings Blade" and how they label slap and severely upcharge cheap Chinese DE's. Or "Blades Grim" and their interesting web of companies/LLCs/websites designed to entangle customers into seemingly good deals only to get a poor product and zero follow up service/accountability.

DCP is fine

Funny, I recently have found myself surprised at how little I see/hear (be it an ad or member discussion) about DCP around here. I've only ordered from them twice but both times I was VERY pleased with the communication, quality and care of packaging, and fast shipping. When I purchased my pearl Midtown kit I shopped around to find the best price and it took me awhile because I really wanted the matching bag set. Long story short, I found them listing a single left over kit that was new in box with the bag set (also new in box) on reverb for around $650 (already a great deal) so I made an offer of $600 and I got a response in less then 5 minutes that they had accepted AND shipped for free the next morning. Brand New pearl Midtown with bags for $600 shipped... They can spam if they want because it will only lead to our members getting great deals.

You want to really get your blood boiling about a topic like this? Do some research on "Douglas Smythe", "Pedal Pusher Fancies/How To Grow A Moustache", and how/why that same company is now "Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements". Or "Vikings Blade" and how they label slap and severely upcharge cheap Chinese DE's. Or "Blades Grim" and their interesting web of companies/LLCs/websites designed to entangle customers into seemingly good deals only to get a poor product and zero follow up service/accountability.

DCP is fine
Wasn’t aware of the backstory on Viking razors; their product line never interested me anyway. Been using a Merkur 34C for years now, and am 100% satisfied.

Damn some people just love to piss in the punch bowl.

To be honest, all of the replies (ok, except for the funny ones) pretty much amount to this:

Well, yeah, those are the rules. . . which of course don't apply so long as and wherever it's good for me.

Just seems that way.

I will now go back to rolling my eyes every time I see another DCP "thread"

Pete

Wasn’t aware of the backstory on Viking razors; their product line never interested me anyway. Been using a Merkur 34C for years now, and am 100% satisfied.

I'm happy that someone around here knows the world I'm speaking about haha, I was a merkur 37c guy for years before switching back to Electrics. Different topic for a different forum. I was being slightly sarcastic about those comments as I buy the products that I like from the vendors I like regardless of advertising/marketing schemes, those were cheeky references to the same concept taking place in a totally different industry and forum setting.

Well, yeah, those are the rules. . . which of course don't apply so long as and wherever it's good for me.

Some rules do apply to all, such as with political discussions, which always, WITHOUT EXCEPTION become problematic.

And some rules exist to manage topics or members that push acceptable limits. For example, DCP's videos are extremely passive in terms of trying to sell people. They're more informative than they are an advertisement. Whereas someone who joins Drummerworld and makes their first post for a product or service - music-related or not - is considered spam (99.9% of the time) and that gets handled immediately and without question.

Again, if you really can't stomach DCP's posts, then please got to their profile and click Ignore. It's a simple solution so you don't have to see them, and is reversible should you change your mind. I think you'll miss some great info though.

Bermuda

I've watched a few of DCP's videos, and decided to dissect the most recent one (about China cymbals) that was posted on Wednesday.

It's a few seconds shy of 14 minutes, which I suspect is one of the lengthier ones.

Out of that 14 minutes, only 6 seconds near the end was devoted to any content that could be construed as a sales pitch, which was Adam the narrator saying "If you're interested in purchasing any of these cymbals, you can find direct links in the video description below." (They assume the viewer is watching on their YouTube page.) But that's it - 6 seconds - and certainly a rather benign 'sales pitch' as sales pitches go.

But above and beyond that single soft-sell moment in the entire video, was almost 12 minutes of cymbal goodness! Ten China types played in a few contexts, and each 'in the clear' which means you could sample them if you wanted, not that I'm suggesting that for anyone here who does programming... like me. (BTW, thank you Shane! :) )

Seriously, is there a problem with that? Did this video really come off as an ad? Certainly not for me, even as a cymbalholic.

If there is a demand to draw a hard line on content that might possibly, sub-consciously translate into personal gain for a member, it's gonna get ugly for those who post links to their YouTube channel, have their band's link in their signature, announce a new recording they're on, work for a music store and make any suggestion to come see them there, or happen to endorse a company's product and make any comments or answer any questions about that product. And of course the Classifieds thread would have to go.

I don't want to see any of that change, nor would I want to enforce it. This community would suffer if we couldn't share information, broaden our knowledge, and grow as players and musicians. The DCP videos contribute good information. The 'advertising' aspect of this video was less than 1% of the total time, and positioned near the end. You could watch the first 13 minutes minutes of that video, turn it off, and never know that they have those cymbals for sale. So when I said in an earlier post that they provide "good information that far outweighs the sales aspect", that was an understatement.

Bermuda

Alright I was going to leave this alone but I’m so bored that at least some respectable debate gives me something to do... so here goes...
The video itself is an ad!
No offense Bermuda, you are the man, but your judgement of impartiality seems clouded by your
relationship with DCP and it’s owner.

Do I think they are great videos...Yes
Do I think they are informative.,.Yes
Are they good for the community here...Yes
Do I have a problem with them on DW...No
But are they essentially advertising....Yes they are.

Memphis Drum Shop drum videos most often don’t say a word, just some great player wailing on a kit.
No dialogue whatsoever. Not informative at all and no mention of selling. Not even a “if your interested in purchasing or have questions feel free to call” line.
DCP is wonderful, but let’s call it what it is, an informative, comparison, demonstration video of their products for sale.

And DW allowing them is great. No problem here.
maybe we can have a forum for, or adjusted language in the forum rules just for product videos.
I (like many on here) love watching Memphis Drum Shop, Nick at Sweetwater, DCP and others.
But to single out DCP as being ok because they are informational and not really trying to sell us anything just doesn’t seem to hold water.

Just my opinion brothers.

Last edited:
WHAT IS THE BIG DEAL? ALMOST ALL of us are in the market for new stuff, ALL THE TIME. IF the admins allow it, especially being private owned, this shouldn't even be a question. THEY ARE ALL SELLING SOMETHING.

No offense Bermuda, you are the man, but your judgement of impartiality seems clouded by your
relationship with DCP and it’s owner.

Not at all, I just happen to know him. I know a number of people who post here. I may also be the only member who has met all of the other mods, past & present. I get around! :)

WHAT IS THE BIG DEAL? ALMOST ALL of us are in the market for new stuff, ALL THE TIME. IF the admins allow it, especially being private owned, this shouldn't even be a question. THEY ARE ALL SELLING SOMETHING.

Good point. Am I allowed to post a video of me talking about and playing my 5 rides, then say “PM me for details on how to buy these cymbals” at the very end?

Back