Can anyone name that drumkit?

Ben62847

Hey,

this is the Recording kit From the slipknot drummer. He plays usually Sjc. But this isnt a Sjc Kit.
Anyone who know what Kind of Kit it is?
The snare is a Tama Terminator Bell brass.DB7D12CA-CBCB-4779-BFF4-FAD2135B3AEA.jpeg

How many mics does it take to record a drum kit.......
Hilarious when you consider it will probably be cleaned and quantisized to a point where it doesn't sound much like what he's actually playing anyway!!

How many mics does it take to record a drum kit.......
Hilarious when you consider it will probably be cleaned and quantisized to a point where it doesn't sound much like what he's actually playing anyway!!
No they haven‘t recorded to a Click

It's not one drumkit. It's a frankenkit. I see some Gretsch badges, yet that first tom looks like it has stick saver hoops and Slingy lugs. This isn't unusual at all for recording.

Kicks are two different colors, toms 1+3 are a different color than tom 2. How could we possibly know what any or all of this is just from one picture? I see 2 Zildjians also, but that doesn't mean they all are.

When it comes to recording, it doesn't matter what the drummer endorses/usually uses, it's about the sound the producer wants. If that requires them to play pizza box, then that's what they do. There was a MD interview from the mid to late 90's where the the guy ended up playing the boxes the drums came in. IIRC it's was Smitty Smith but I could be wrong, it's only been 20ish years. Lars played Gretsch and Sabian cymbals to record the black album.

Only 11 overheads?... CAVEMEN!

Every cotton-pickin' tom is different.

Every cotton-pickin' bass drum is different.

The corner of the tom badge seems to be a Gretsch, or maybe TAMA Artstar??? (All had long lugs though......me thinks).

The ladder in the background appears to be a Little Giant......great ladders, terrible to tune up and are impractical for jazz gigs.

don't know the brands, but those drums look like they have been used by MANY before him, so they were probably the studios "go to's"

and that ladder is definitely too much. I only use a 4 rung ladder now. if you need more than 4 rungs, you don't "groove" man...;)

Hey,

this is the Recording kit From the slipknot drummer. He plays usually Sjc. But this isnt a Sjc Kit.
Anyone who know what Kind of Kit it is?
The snare is a Tama Terminator Bell brass.View attachment 91042
mix of various-ages gretsch drums, some of which look from the 80s, some 90s, cant see the floor toms. probably what the studio had in (or hired in) and what jay picked out from their selection, same way the black album was recorded, lars endorsed tama at the time but the only tama drum on the black album was the snare (bell brass), the rest of the kit was a gretsch concert tom kit.

No they haven‘t recorded to a Click
actually, they did. slipknot just put up some videos on their outsidethe9 fan site of jay tracking the drums for the WANYK album, and you can hear the click blasting away in the video of drumtracking for "unsainted" (gotta be a premium member to view them though).

and that ladder is definitely too much. I only use a 4 rung ladder now. if you need more than 4 rungs, you don't "groove" man...;)

Geez, what am I thinking? I've been looking at one of those $300 erector set type ladders with the extendable legs and everything. Maybe I'll just get a step ladder instead!

Geez, what am I thinking? I've been looking at one of those $300 erector set type ladders with the extendable legs and everything. Maybe I'll just get a step ladder instead!

I even went more simple, and just use a pile of books now...waaayyyy more groove

I'm more interested in the photographer cutie on the ladder! :D

Back