Your least played snare(s)

Larry

"Uncle Larry"
Inspired by the workhorse snare thread, only in the other direction.

I'm guessing most drummers here have multiple snare drums.

I'm also guessing that you have a snare or two that just doesn't get played as much as your others. Or in Bermuda's case, a few hundred.

So what is it? I'm down to 8 total snare drums. 6 wood, and 2 metal (8 lug) specimens, and I dig them all.

My un-pick would have to be my Pork Pie custom ordered 8 lug black nickel over brass. Nothing wrong with the drum. I have to pick one of them. I simply prefer a wood snare drum. My next pick would be the other PP iron snare.

Maybe we could set up a LFSS...least favorite snare swap. I send you mine, you send me yours. Assuming we both want what the other has.

It could be a win/win.

Last edited:
Interesting idea.. I *think* I remember you (Larry) as having a signature Eric Singer Pearl snare drum ;):cool:

For me, similar boat - I have not played the following snares in quite a while:
- Pork Pie 14 x 6.5" BOB
- DW Design Series 14 x 5" maple snare (came stock with my Frequent Flyer kit)
- TAMA SLP Dynamic Bronze 14 x 5.5"

Interesting idea.. I *think* I remember you (Larry) as having a signature Eric Singer Pearl snare drum ;):cool:

For me, similar boat - I have not played the following snares in quite a while:
- Pork Pie 14 x 6.5" BOB
- DW Design Series 14 x 5" maple snare (came stock with my Frequent Flyer kit)
- TAMA SLP Dynamic Bronze 14 x 5.5"
OMG I completely forgot about that. So 9 snares. Wait, I just remembered 3 more! So 12!

Eric Singer 10 ply maple 14 x 6.5
Pork Pie "Cherry Pie" cherry/bubinga snare drum with 4 outer plies of Cherry, 3 inner plies of Bubinga, 14 x 6.5
Poplar snare 14 x 5 that came with my Sonor Players kit
A current Tama Artstar maple snare 14 x 6.5

Last edited:
My least played snare is pearl ultracast 14 x 5.5“ it’s a nice drum but for some reason it never gets picked, however I am lucky enough to have a beautiful 14 x 5.5 Brady Jarrah ply from 1998 that does everything the ultracast does but with more personality.

Maybe this means it’s time to move the pearl drum on.

I'm changing my my least favorite drum from my PP 8 lug brass to my stock Sonor Players poplar snare.

I don't use any of em except the one I wouldn't have if it wasn't for your huge awesome gesture Larry.

I mean it every time I say it, that is still one of the best things to ever happen to me. It has a great home and has even been featured on some recordings I've done since.

The one I use the least is a heavy ply birch number by Tama. It matches a kit that I love but I'm not so into that snare and didn't ever really break it in tbh.

I don't use any of em except the one I wouldn't have if it wasn't for your huge awesome gesture Larry.

I mean it every time I say it, that is still one of the best things to ever happen to me. It has a great home and has even been featured on some recordings I've done since.

The one I use the least is a heavy ply birch number by Tama. It matches a kit that I love but I'm not so into that snare and didn't ever really break it in tbh.
It warms my heart to read this James. Thanks for that. It's so much better that you have it and that it's loved and appreciated.

I have a few snares that are just for lookin', and this is at the top of that list. It's the Famous Drum Company's Tubulated Aperture Snare, a/k/a the Famous Vent-Tastic Snare... a/k/a the Turbine Snare. It's a one-off made by Joe Partridge, basically an experiment in dovetailing and not really intended to be played, so I won't vouch for its edges. It doesn't sound terrible, but it's close.

_turbinesnare.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, there's another. This is a one-off prototype of an adjustable snare made by Charlie Cordes, who invented the CB-700 Free-Floating Snare (later marketed by Pearl.) Although it's fully functional, it sounds truly atrocious. But it really wasn't made to be played.

_cordes.jpg

Lovely to look at, lovely to hold, You can pick up your sticks, But don't do a roll!

Last edited:
I had a snare drum purge and sold all my little used snares drums . Right now the snare I use the least is a Ludwig 5” engraved Black Beauty . It is a beautiful drum and sounds great . It has a ton of sentimental value which is the main reason it doesn’t get as much gig time as the others . I just started taking it out more when this health crisis hit us . I do intend to use it more when I get back playing gigs again .

Attachments

• B001C8D6-04D0-49A2-A106-6755D667655F.jpeg
    B001C8D6-04D0-49A2-A106-6755D667655F.jpeg
    72.4 KB · Views: 3
  • FDB1711D-81D7-487A-994E-DC6E8F703743.jpeg
    FDB1711D-81D7-487A-994E-DC6E8F703743.jpeg
    67.9 KB · Views: 3
  • D835BEA4-7F2F-4073-B8D3-771F83418E5D.jpeg
    D835BEA4-7F2F-4073-B8D3-771F83418E5D.jpeg
    65.2 KB · Views: 2
My Yamaha Recording Custom 14x8" Only ever played it once.

All of my drums are basic and cheap, so you can just imagine what my least used snare is... But, it's especially basic and cheap, and sounds it.

My cheap pearl piccolo snare I've wanting to offload for a while.

I have a Yamaha steel SD-246 5.5x14 and a late 70s Tama Imperialstar with the funky strainer and wires. They both sound excellent, but get no playing time because my Ahead brass snare has a more pleasant ring (being that it's brass), and the Imperialstar has a lug or two with broken screw posts and I can't get the parts anymore without buying *another* identical drum or putting something different on it (which I'm not opposed to, but I'd have to get 10, or my mild OC becomes less mild :D ).

Last edited:
It would be my 1960's Premier Royal Ace.

I haven't played it in years, simply as the snare wires are mostly broken and no one makes replacements- not even Premier!!!

Would love to have it back in working order. It's mostly sat in a case for nearly ten years.

I have two that I use and three that hardly ever get played. these three get played very seldom. 6 1/2 x 14 steel Yamaha from the 80s. A 1988 6 1/2 x 14 birch mahogany Yamaha (came with my 88 model tour custom kit) and a Tama 5 1/2 x 14 Birch that came with my star classic performer kit. Recently put the camera up for sale.

DW Collectors 5"x14" Black Nickel over Brass. It just has never moved me, and is one of five brass snares in the arsenal. It's going to get offloaded soon.

Back