Export make-over!

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
So that 1990s Export I acquired a week ago had to get a major make-over today (thanks to our self-quarantine). I love the 1990s Export shells - they look great on the inside. But those long lugs had to go. The only long lug kit I ever liked was Yamaha's Recording Custom, and every kit that had long lugs after that just seemed like a pander to Yamaha (although I did also like Ludwig's long lugs too). The Pearl Export long lugs from 1990 were horrible. They're made out of cheap pot metal that's bendable, and came in three pieces. Two lugs, and this metal channel piece in-between. Totally unnecessary and frivolous. TBH - I'm surprised these lugs lasted 30 years - they should be bent up by now.

So I had a bunch of Session single lugs from another project and replaced them. That's the nice thing about Pearl stuff: lug drill holes remain constant. Floor tom leg brackets are kinda constant - the whole project was just removing and replacing parts. Now the drums looks great. It got new lugs, new heads, I had black Vision floor tom leg brackets and those went on the floor tom. New Pearl floating feet went on the original floor tom legs. The original L-arms were loose at the pin points so I discarded those and put new ones I had in stock from years ago on. The kit will actually tune up well and survive a gig!

(NOTE: this project was a success, but make no mistake, these drums are killed by my Reference kit. I now have both kits set up complete in my practice room, and I can go back and forth to each kit and the Reference kit trounces Export to no end - so this kit will be great for casuals, or dive bars, anywhere I could be going into battle ;)

Here's a before and after shot:

Before-drums.jpgIMG_6697.jpg

Great job !
You never know when you will need to provide a backline drums set for others to play. This would be perfect for that.

Great job, I'm surprised the long lugs didn't leave any mark on the wrap. Those lugs look sleeker, though I don't have any gripe against the former long lugs, typical look from that time. Any close picture of the specific snare drum? The hardware is black on it, it's still on? no flaking?

It looks really good Bo. I like the look of the new lugs. They don't look right with that badge though. That's just my Pearl OCD. It's not the lugs fault. That badge is ugly and sticks out.

May have been just the motivation I needed...

Like most of us, I got layed off indefinitely yesterday. I recently picked up a pearl midtown kit and as a whole I love it, the 16 bass drum and 13 floor tom are surprisingly loud and thunderous but the snare leaves a lot to be desired. I did notice the inside of the shells are very rough and splintery, doesn't worry me on the kick and toms but the snare has a lack of sensitivity and 'crispness' that I've been able to coax out of many cheap poplar shells in the past so I'm assuming it's the interior shell finish. So, I think I'm going to take this time at home to strip the shell, sand the inside smooth, and reassemble (maybe some clear coat as well, thoughts?). The kit also came with a 10" tom that has their optilock suspension mount and I hate it, not that I use more then 2-3pc most of the time anyway but this still annoyed me because it wobbles like crazy and I always preferred direct contact/attached tom mounts. I think I'm going to strip and drill that shell to hard mount the bracket from the optilock right to the shell.

Great job, I'm surprised the long lugs didn't leave any mark on the wrap. Those lugs look sleeker, though I don't have any gripe against the former long lugs, typical look from that time. Any close picture of the specific snare drum? The hardware is black on it, it's still on? no flaking?
151406B8-535D-4682-A409-DC13223CA425.jpegF6FB3561-9F74-43F4-9D09-8FF1CE271A12.jpeg495A2FB4-0EE9-493C-BE19-7A5C12216F98.jpeg62D701CF-03E7-4EE0-AC4A-FEE789064A1C.jpeg

The snare is a newer “Limited Edition”, which seems exactly like the stock Vision snares. They sell new for about $100 on eBay. Upon inspection, they cut a really nice bed into it and with proper heads and wires it sounds great. I’ve been calling it the woody Acrolite. So you could say I bought the snare drum and the guy gave me the rest of the kit!

Beautiful job.

But I gotta say, the long lugs on those exports I absolutely loved.
Thanks. I get that people like what they like, but in this case, I like to see more shell. Maybe one day I’ll go through and replace all the lug inserts (I’ve kept all the long lugs) if I want to sell it as original, but that’ll be later. Removing and replacing 56 lugs was a big enough job for the day ?

Like most of us, I got layed off indefinitely yesterday. I recently picked up a pearl midtown kit and as a whole I love it, the 16 bass drum and 13 floor tom are surprisingly loud and thunderous but the snare leaves a lot to be desired. I did notice the inside of the shells are very rough and splintery, doesn't worry me on the kick and toms but the snare has a lack of sensitivity and 'crispness' that I've been able to coax out of many cheap poplar shells in the past so I'm assuming it's the interior shell finish. So, I think I'm going to take this time at home to strip the shell, sand the inside smooth, and reassemble (maybe some clear coat as well, thoughts?). The kit also came with a 10" tom that has their optilock suspension mount and I hate it, not that I use more then 2-3pc most of the time anyway but this still annoyed me because it wobbles like crazy and I always preferred direct contact/attached tom mounts. I think I'm going to strip and drill that shell to hard mount the bracket from the optilock right to the shell.
Sorry for the indefinite layoff!

The snare I have has a nice bed cut into it. I wonder if that’s what the Midtown snare needs?

Great job!

My first real name brand kit was an Export of the same vintage (in black) and seeing that brings back a lot of fond memories.

What an improvement visually! I personally never liked those single lugs on any manufacturers drums, it just never did anything for me.

Well dang I thought this was the Pearl RT black kit-so wasn't paying close attention it being an Export (It's a full time job trying to keep up with your activity LOL). Crap Ginger Spice-my new catch phrase for when I screw up ROFL!!!! Nice job Bo-Pearl don't get much love here but you are correct with utility of their products-and guaranteed too. BOGO- two black kits for the price of one with both threads. My Pearl Vision Sensitone aluminum snare was a great all round snare-being a step down from the Sensitone I'd never notice. You gotta a thing for black finishes may I suggest you were a tux when you play it so you match-all classy man!

I'm a bit surprised to hear this. I bought my Midtown fairly early, February 2016, when it was only still $400. The interiors of my shells are smooth as a baby's butt. No splintering or graniness. They look as good as the interior side of the bd hoops. I wonder if the demand for the kit has caused a decline in finishing?

I like the snare. I put a PS3 on it and tune fairly high. I don't ask much of my snare other than constantly beating it to death.

Your Opti-Loc might rattle because of the inner nut. Mine did this also. I tightened it up and the mount is now solid, no movement at all. I had to remove the head to do it, took about 5 minutes.

Never had an issue with optimounts. I like all the toms have them on Pearl Decade-my Pearl Vision had this gosh awful rim mounts-I still have some I think. But I really never had an issue with any. Inexpensive snares are just finicky. My 13 in Sonor Artisan Amboina veneer snare is just an unbelievable instrument (Andy was gracious enough that I have his ovangkol wood hoops to put on it-(looks really classy in contrast with gold hardware)-I really never played it much because it was so expensive (though a gift) so it stayed in a case a lot. Lately that's all I've been playing and dang it will spoil you in a minute. My cheaper snare takes me a bit to get it where I like it-a huge pain where you threaten to throw it away in frustration but by. hook or crook I get them to sound decent sometimes after weeks of screwing with it. In fact just tried the tape on underneath batter head rim trick on my inexpensive Steel Pearl sensitive and man I like it.

Now wait just a jiffy..........I do believe after reading a few posts that it's the original wrap on the "after" photo. It actually looks completely different. Man, you must have seriously cleaned that wrap. It looks literally brand new.

That is one of the best before/after pics of a project kit I've seen.

Now wait just a jiffy..........I do believe after reading a few posts that it's the original wrap on the "after" photo. It actually looks completely different. Man, you must have seriously cleaned that wrap. It looks literally brand new.

That is one of the best before/after pics of a project kit I've seen.
It’s the “Ocean Blue” finish. In darker light it becomes black, then when you light it, the blue comes out. Most of the time it looks dark grey. It’s weird. I did give it a good cleaning and it has its share of scuffs and scratches from 30 years, but it’ll be a great loaner kit.

It’s the “Ocean Blue” finish. In darker light it becomes black, then when you light it, the blue comes out. Most of the time it looks dark grey. It’s weird. I did give it a good cleaning and it has its share of scuffs and scratches from 30 years, but it’ll be a great loaner kit.Screen Shot 2020-03-21 at 1.15.20 PM.png
Wow I thought the blue the artifact but opposite I see now. I bet outside natural light it will really pop.

Sorry for the indefinite layoff!

The snare I have has a nice bed cut into it. I wonder if that’s what the Midtown snare needs?

Mine has wide beds as well, it's not terrible (FAR better then my Breakbeats stock snare) and I do ask a bit much of it for a drum of it's size/material/price range. I also always upgrade my snares from 1.6 to 2.3mm hoops and puresound wires, I haven't on this drum yet (just both heads), so I may be accustomed to something that combo provides. Regardless, smoother interior finish doesn't hurt.

I'm a bit surprised to hear this. I bought my Midtown fairly early, February 2016, when it was only still $400. The interiors of my shells are smooth as a baby's butt. No splintering or graniness. They look as good as the interior side of the bd hoops. I wonder if the demand for the kit has caused a decline in finishing?

I like the snare. I put a PS3 on it and tune fairly high. I don't ask much of my snare other than constantly beating it to death.

Your Opti-Loc might rattle because of the inner nut. Mine did this also. I tightened it up and the mount is now solid, no movement at all. I had to remove the head to do it, took about 5 minutes.

Very well could be the case. My shell interiors match what is described on the compact drums review. That was the only disappointing aspect of this kit for me and it's not THAT bad for a budget kit, I do believe it has impacted my snare a little however.

Back