Thrash style double bass?

Midnight/Eclipse

Hey everyone new member here! I play drums in a thrash metal band and was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers on left foot control? My right foot seems to be fine (on its own anyway) I can pull off doubles and triplets simply enough as well as blast with my right foot. For some reason though both my feet lose the rhythm if I go for blasts (which I do at slow tempos to a click) and even at 80 bpm I lose control of my groove... I've only been playing double bass for about a month now and as my band gets closer and closer to recording I'm afraid to lose my gig... please any advice would be greatly appreciated thank you for your time.

Practice makes perfect. Try playing what you play right footed only with your left. Also paradiddles (or however you spell it) It'll take a while but will happen.

That's a very good idea thank you! first thing in the morning I'm gonna start trying to use just my left foot for a few days to build up the muscles in it, and I'll definitly work on my paradidles with just my feet, thank you so much for your time sir!

If you walk around with ankle weights on all day you can potentially damage your ankles. It happened to me. Use them at the kit, nothing more.

You have to dedicate time to your feet. Like your hands, they need a goal. I've been running both feet since 1992. I would spend hours daily working on evenness and endurance. Speed comes with time. Even if you play at a slow tempo, push the endurance. If 2 minutes seems like a lot, work towards 3. The more you do it, the easier it becomes and the more control you will develop with your weak foot.

A metronome is good to use when working on double kick. It forces you to keep things even. It forces you to stay in time when you get tired. And it gives you a reference for growth. You can see your improvement with it. Hope this helps.

I grew up playing metal and hardcore ... those are my roots ... I can tell you what worked for me

I went through pg 5 of stick control with my feet starting very slowly for about 2 to 3 hours a day

I also worked on the Table Of Time ... I would play something very simple on my hands... quarter note right hand on ride cymbal... 2 and 4 left hand on snare (reverse if left handed) ... and go through the Table Of Time on your feet under that

of course use a metronome

I mostly did this on a makeshift practice kit in my bedroom in my youth ... but also did it on the drums sometimes

there is zero chance of this not working if you put in the time ...

it will be a pain in the ass but no pain no gain

I don't play the style as much as I'd like any more but back in the day my feet were sharp, precise, and flying ...

some of those stick control patterns became so comfortable that I would find myself playing them instead of straight singles during rapid double bass parts in songs

specifically #6 on page 5 ... for some reason it felt very natural coming off my feet

I'm sure you will find one or two that come off your feet very naturally

and yes I also used my moms aerobic ankle weights ... they were purple and fabulous and worked ...

I grew up playing metal and hardcore ... those are my roots ... I can tell you what worked for me

I went through pg 5 of stick control with my feet starting very slowly for about 2 to 3 hours a day

I also worked on the Table Of Time ... I would play something very simple on my hands... quarter note right hand on ride cymbal... 2 and 4 left hand on snare (reverse if left handed) ... and go through the Table Of Time on your feet under that

of course use a metronome

I mostly did this on a makeshift practice kit in my bedroom in my youth ... but also did it on the drums sometimes

there is zero chance of this not working if you put in the time ...

it will be a pain in the ass but no pain no gain

I don't play the style as much as I'd like any more but back in the day my feet were sharp, precise, and flying ...

some of those stick control patterns became so comfortable that I would find myself playing them instead of straight singles during rapid double bass parts in songs

specifically #6 on page 5 ... for some reason it felt very natural coming off my feet

I'm sure you will find one or two that come off your feet very naturally

and yes I also used my moms aerobic ankle weights ... they were purple and fabulous and worked ...

My mom had the set with the purple pair and the green pair! Lol, don't remember which was heavier but I always used the green ones.

"The only thing heavier then the breakdown I'm about to signal with my zilbel... Are the ankle weights i'm wearing to increase my double kick consistency!"

My mom had the set with the purple pair and the green pair! Lol, don't remember which was heavier but I always used the green ones.

"The only thing heavier then the breakdown I'm about to signal with my zilbel... Are the ankle weights i'm wearing to increase my double kick consistency!"
I can see those damn things in my minds eye ... they were purple with an orange and white stripe running through the middle and were held on your ankles with a piece of white velcro

as 80s as you can get

but all I wanted to do was be like Charlie Benante and Dave Lombardo ... so purple ankle weights it was

but all I wanted to do was be like Charlie Benante and Dave Lombardo ... so purple ankle weights it was

Same here. My ankle weights were black. I stopped using them after I hurt my ankles. Turns out if they rest on your feet, gravity and the extra weight starts to pull against your ankle and cause problems.

I'm in isolated to my home in full flashback mode ... this is what would make me destroy my bedroom and inspire me to play the hell out of my Tama Swingstar kit when I was 13, 14, 15 years old

fond memories indeed ... just full to my eyeballs of piss and vinegar

Joey was a little after my time of interest in that stuff ... but nothing but respect for him

Totally understand, I grew out of listening to most of that stuff anyway (though the last two Mayhem albums are RIDICULOUS!!) and haven't even set foot on a double pedal in... 14+ years. Granted I don't play metal or hardcore anymore but I developed a weird obsession with 'fancy single footing' (Zach Hill for example) in my later teen years and stopped using double kick entirely. To this day, at 30, I'm rarely ever playing anything 'heavy' anymore but I guarantee you I am more then capable of a good 'ol half time face melting breakdown with just a kick (and single pedal), snare, and hats or ride. But I definitely couldn't survive in an entirely metal/hardcore based set/band with that set up.

To OP, Charlie Benante (Anthrax) has some great videos around youtube. Not as much from a technical standpoint but from a very 'average Joe' mentality that can be much less intimidating when you start. 66samus is another one who can teach you alot but in a more down to earth, less intimidating way. Also highly HIGHLY suggested you check out Jon Karel from The Number Twelve Looks Like You.

I'm in isolated to my home in full flashback mode ... this is what would make me destroy my bedroom and inspire me to play the hell out of my Tama Swingstar kit when I was 13, 14, 15 years old

fond memories indeed ... just full to my eyeballs of piss and vinegar

Dooooood, I also started on a swingstar! Same kit and ankle weights! Lol

Totally understand, I grew out of listening to most of that stuff anyway (though the last two Mayhem albums are RIDICULOUS!!) and haven't even set foot on a double pedal in... 14+ years. Granted I don't play metal or hardcore anymore but I developed a weird obsession with 'fancy single footing' (Zach Hill for example) in my later teen years and stopped using double kick entirely. To this day, at 30, I'm rarely ever playing anything 'heavy' anymore but I guarantee you I am more then capable of a good 'ol half time face melting breakdown with just a kick (and single pedal), snare, and hats or ride. But I definitely couldn't survive in an entirely metal/hardcore based set/band with that set up.

To OP, Charlie Benante (Anthrax) has some great videos around youtube. Not as much from a technical standpoint but from a very 'average Joe' mentality that can be much less intimidating when you start. 66samus is another one who can teach you alot but in a more down to earth, less intimidating way. Also highly HIGHLY suggested you check out Jon Karel from The Number Twelve Looks Like You.

yes ... Number 12 ... they are from around my way
I've known those guys a bit since probably 2003 or so ... very cool band
got their name from a Twilight Zone episode

I still love Charlie to this day ... might be nostalgia ... but he's still out there doing it and I have nothing but respect for him

Dooooood, I also started on a swingstar! Same kit and ankle weights! Lol
I loved my Swingstar... Candy Apple Red

in the late 80s it had two 22" bass drums ... 10,12, 13 rack and a 16 floor ... just draped with cymbals

I literally laugh out loud when I think about sitting behind that thing and lugging the entire thing to gigs.

my mom was our roady ... she drove us to all the gigs.

huge swingstar kit .... no cases ... pure metal

yes ... Number 12 ... they are from around my way
I've known those guys a bit since probably 2003 or so ... very cool band
got their name from a Twilight Zone episode

I still love Charlie to this day ... might be nostalgia ... but he's still out there doing it and I have nothing but respect for him

Yup, still out there making Tama's sound way better then La... Nevermind :D

Back