Do you buy multiple sticks or more of the same pairs?

JaysonJeanChannel

I'm generally curious about this. :LOL:

My two favorite sticks are the;
Vic Firth Buddy Rich Signature Drumstick
&
Vic Firth American Concept Freestyle 85A

I want to try more sticks, but at the same time. I want to buy more of these two sticks for gigs since these are my go-to's.

.. the reason why I'm thinking of buying more is so I can grab the same pair in case I drop them mid-play. ?

My go to sticks are the Vic Firth 3AN.

I use them for practice and 90% of gigs.

I buy a heap at once so I've got spares mid-show.

My other stick group I get multiples of is the Vic Firth F1 American Classic.

I use them for inside, smaller gigs.

I have a heap of them too to use as back ups mid-show.

So I've got 2 types in multiples.

Ahh I love Vic Firth 3AN! I had a pair, but I donated it to a younger drummer and I own a pair of the Vic Firth F1 American Classic. But great advice, thank you!! (y)

I'm typically a VF 5A guy. When I'm low on 5A's, I'll grab $50 worth of them at the store and get a single set of something I haven't tried yet. This includes brushes, hot/coolrods, mallets, SD1's, etc. Most of these sticks see far less use than the 5A's, so I tend to be able to keep them for a long while.

I now use two stick sizes* (down from three**) and keep 3 pair of each in my stick bag. But I only use one size on a given gig, so I keep spares of that size where I can easily reach them. I rarely drop a stick, but I'm glad there are some within reach when I do!

Bermuda

* VF AJ5 and 8DN

** was VF X5AN, but I've become more comfortable with the 8DN.

I only keep one extra pair of sticks handy while playing. One stick drop is acceptable, two stick drops is the limit. If I'm dropping more than two sticks during a song, then I'm doing something wrong.

I only keep one extra pair of sticks handy while playing. One stick drop is acceptable, two stick drops is the limit. If I'm dropping more than two sticks during a song, then I'm doing something wrong.
I only dropped an pair once when playing. But I do agree with you on that!

Since returning to drumming about 5 years ago I've tried and tested many different sticks, and the ones that I settled with (for now) are VF 5B double glaze. But I have lots of other sticks which I didn't like as much; Buddy Rich sticks, 5B extreme, 2B's from different manufacturers so I have to use them up, and I do that with the rock band I'm playing with. Then I have some 5A's which I use with the jazz guys I play with. Don't have to buy sticks for a while.

More than anything, I just look for deals online. Hard to get a deal on a single pair. So I definitely do buy in multiples. I've been a 2b guy since the 80s. I used to LOVE ProMark 747s as well. I'm really enjoying Vater 2bs lately.

Right now my go-to stick is the Vater Gospel Fusion, and I buy those in bulk since those are the sticks I use the most. But I don't let that stop me from trying out new sticks when something interesting comes along. Lately I've been trying out the Vic Firth Freestyle 5B and the Vater Mangini signature stick. Both were interesting (and each have a clear benefit if I need something heavier or lighter) but for now I know that I'm keeping the Fusion as my main stick.

I'm so vain and I have signature sticks too, when I need new sticks I have to bulk buy 16 pairs. Thanks Pellwood!

I do keep some 3As for quieter gigs and for gigs where I can look at the drums and be too loud I have some VF Steve Gadds.

Makes sense if it makes life a little easier on stage.

I'm so vain and I have signature sticks too, when I need new sticks I have to bulk buy 16 pairs. Thanks Pellwood!

I do keep some 3As for quieter gigs and for gigs where I can look at the drums and be too loud I have some VF Steve Gadds.

Makes sense if it makes life a little easier on stage.
a fellow pellwood user, nice! :)

Studying viscoelastic fluids in blood vessels (that are also viscoelastic) always made me wonder how a drum stick would react with a viscoelastic fluid core. In theory the fluid will react differently dependent on velocity of setting up a wave. As velocity increases it might add to force at either end of stick amplifying the motion. I also thought about making "hand made drum sticks' to drummer specifications as a part-time retirement job. A small niche probably but that would be fine. I could become the Spizzichino of drum stick makers. I'm not going to charge what he did though

I use the Colaiuta sigs. Bought all I could find when they went out of production. Got 50-60 pairs.

Back