Vinnie or Jeff?

mikyok

Platinum Member

Bit of fun.

They were both on the album but there's hints of both of them in the feel of playing. What do you reckon?

I'll guess Jeff.

Not enough notes, and a fair amount of space...is how I arrived at my guess there.

I'm gonna say Vinnie. Only because of the fill he plays at around the 0:09 mark. I've never heard Jeff play a fill like that and it sounds like something Vinnie would play.

But I admit, I'm guessing here and wouldn't wager much on it. Definitely sounds like it could be either one.

20 seconds in I think Jeff. Sounds more sparse and powerful than what Vinnie might have played. Im usually wrong when I guess here tho.

I'm gonna say Vinnie. Only because of the fill he plays at around the 0:09 mark. I've never heard Jeff play a fill like that and it sounds like something Vinnie would play.

But I admit, I'm guessing here and wouldn't wager much on it. Definitely sounds like it could be either one.
On that old video Jeff did in a studio he played Mushango or something like that and it had a bunch of those types of figures in it. When I heard that fill around 9 seconds I thought of that. Who knows?

On that old video Jeff did in a studio he played Mushango or something like that and it had a bunch of those types of figures in it. When I heard that fill around 9 seconds I thought of that. Who knows?
Yeah, that's the thing, I may just have never heard him do it. If that's the case, then maybe it is Jeff!

My pick is Vinnie. The strong foot on the bass drum just seems more purposeful than the laid back Jeff. To me, Vinnie's style is to drive the beat forward, where Jeff is more metronomic (although still grooving).

I'm gonna guess Jeff for the strangest of reasons - the crash cymbals sound to me like the 2002s he favored.

When did that album come out-my collection had burned up by then so no longer bothered (so late 80-early 90s) but I remember that was a good album-sort of an anthology of all his stuff wasn't it? Damn fellas you're missing the song listening to the drummer.. I vote neither it was somebody else-I know Bernard Purdue about the time he was playing with the Beatles.Hal Blaine?

When did that album come out-my collection had burned up by then so no longer bothered (so late 80-early 90s) but I remember that was a good album-sort of an anthology of all his stuff wasn't it? Damn fellas you're missing the song listening to the drummer.

It's a great song, could easily be on the Seventh One by Toto, it was all the mutts nuts LA session guys that did that album. Michael McDonald is on BVs too.

Only info I found is that Jeff and Vinnie played on the album but no individual track details. It's on my gym playlist an has been bugging me as you can usually tell who is drumming.

I hear the Mushanga in it but I can also hear a lot of early Sting solo going on. If JR was involved too this could be messy.

When did that album come out-my collection had burned up by then so no longer bothered (so late 80-early 90s) but I remember that was a good album-sort of an anthology of all his stuff wasn't it? Damn fellas you're missing the song listening to the drummer.. I vote neither it was somebody else-I know Bernard Purdue about the time he was playing with the Beatles.Hal Blaine?

Art you might have nailed it.

It's a trick question :)

We need to listen to the other tracks to see if there's 2 clearly different drum styles.

This is a really cool game, one of the funnest threads in a long time.

I just don't think Vinnie could have left that much virgin space in that song lol.

Thanks Mikyok!

Last edited:
I was originally leaning towards Jeff. Too much space for it to be Vinnie. I didn't want to spoil it but since there seems to be confusion so I was able to find the answer. According to Dicogs Jeff only played on one tune, track 9, Lady On The Phone. I'm guessing this is the tune in question. The rest of the album is all Vinnie.

As far as i understand are all tracks on that album played by Colaiuta, except the last track “Walkabout”, which is played by Porcaro..

Nevertheless, this thread demonstrates perfectly what i always said: people who say they immediately will recognize certain drummers, most of the time speak nonsense..

Not sure your source for personnel but this what I found.

I was originally leaning towards Jeff. Too much space for it to be Vinnie. I didn't want to spoil it but since there seems to be confusion so I was able to find the answer. According to Dicogs Jeff only played on one tune, track 9, Lady On The Phone. I'm guessing this is the tune in question. The rest of the album is all Vinnie.

The Discogs website I'm seeing says it's "Walkabout", not "Lady on the Phone" with Jeff.

Your link and my link...don't match. Your link mentions Porcaro on track 9. My link doesn't say that, and says Jeff played on "Lady on the Phone".

Strange. No wonder there's confusion.

Last edited:
Hah! Wow. I wonder if Discogs knows they have two conflicting bits of info out there. Now I'm going to have to listen intently to the two of them. I've never heard of Nik Kershaw before this. I have to say Walkabout sounds very Level 42 ish.

Back