Hi-Hat Stand To High

double bass man

I recently bought a Natal hi-hat stand. The lowest I can get the hi-hat cymbals for me is to high--I am reaching my arms to high. The internal chrome height adjustable tube is at the lowest it will go. (The adjustable chrome tube being 18 and 3/4" long). The legs of the stand appear to be at their lowest. Two things that come to mind:

a) Cut a bit off
b) Contact Natal & see if they make a smaller tube

Have you experienced this?

I've never seen a hi hat stand that was too high for me. I've seen plenty that are too low for me, but never too high.

I used a pipe cutter to shorten my Premier hihat stand. Much better. I like to play on top of the hats, like a ride cymbal, rather than over the edge like a crash. Much better balance with the bass and snare. Better posture too.

Reactions: TJK
I recently bought a Natal hi-hat stand. The lowest I can get the hi-hat cymbals for me is to high--I am reaching my arms to high. The internal chrome height adjustable tube is at the lowest it will go. (The adjustable chrome tube being 18 and 3/4" long). The legs of the stand appear to be at their lowest. Two things that come to mind:

a) Cut a bit off
b) Contact Natal & see if they make a smaller tube

Have you experienced this?
Any chance of seeing a photo please? This sounds very unusual so it would be good to have a visual aid.

Yeah, it's never been a need on my own stuff, but when I start at a new school I usually take a saw to the inner tube on one of the hi-hat stands to get it low enough for the smallest kids.

I have a two leg natal pro hi hat stand also .ran into same problem .I cut mine with a metal cutting band saw I also shortened the rod .what the heck were they thinking

Many thanks guys for your input to my question. Nice to hear I'm not the only one who has had this problem----Now, where did I put my hacksaw?---------

I've owned 3-4 hi hat stands in my almost 20 years playing and have cut the upper tube shorter on every single one. Never more then an inch or so, lets me drop it down lower without losing much overall adjustment range.

I just bought a pearl H2050 and that feels an inch or so too tall at the lowest setting.
the yamaha hs650wa I used before is fine though it is missing a tilt mechanism for the bottom hat. I used a screw as an alternative.
I'd be happy to accept that it's possible I sit too low but my knees are 'lower' than my waist (sotospeak).

Back