I don't care about movies much anymore

I still love movies, but years have gone by without my going to an actual theater; back when TVs were small and not great and theater screens were huge, the difference between the theater experience and home viewing was huge, but these days, with such large screens, it's just not that big a diff any more. (Although if anyone hasn't gone to a theater in the past five or so years, many (most?) theaters now have huge, comfy armchairs which recline and damn it's nice.)

Another big thing, for me, is that while there are still masterpieces being produced, there are fewer of them, due to the various franchise films, which are what the studios are banking on. (And I say that as an absolute fan of the Marvel and Star Wars films and some other franchises, such as Mission Impossible.) Fortunately, television is in its golden age, with topnotch writers, directors and actors doing career work and pushing the medium to previously unimagined heights.

All the theaters out here are converted so you sit in reserved plush couch seating with full lay-down reclining. Many are even converting to serve food and beer in the movie. I actually like going to movies now more than when I was younger trying to get good seats going early and leaving with a stiff neck.

A nice theatre (not a box at a mall) is always nice to go to. They should never die, in the same way live music venues should not.
But I am growing ever more intolerant of all the cell phone use during movies.

Agree with a lot written here. Cinema experience use to be all that. Things are sooo different and no longer a pull.
For about a few decades, my criteria of going to the cinema was the movie was going to be an experience on the giant screen, with giant sound. I do that in my house now. Did not care much to see dramas. And good lord, sitting in a theater on a nice day/night... no thanks

I love Movies... good movies and IMO, 25% of what I watch is good, memorable and recommendable. Others meh, or crap... and I now will turn it off, if it’s not doing something for me. Thus, no longer go to the theater and feel obligated to sit there.

I used to love going to the theater and getting some popcorn and a soda and checking out a big screen flick. Nowadays, they would have to re-do Jaws or Star Wars or Close Encounters maybe Godfather?, to get me in a theater. I'd rather chill in my flannels and recliner with the dog.

Although, the next Avatar flick may draw me out. I'm looking forward to seeing more of Cameron's vision.

The last film I saw at the cinema was Blade Runner 2049 and given that my TV at home is about 16" and I watch most things on my laptop, going to the cinema made a huge difference to my enjoyment of it. That's a film that really needs a large screen to portray the visuals. I went to a re-screening of Blade Runner a few years ago up in London and that was another film that needs the big screen.

I think between the two Blade Runner films and seeing the original Star Wars trilogy in the cinema with my Dad when they were re-released, those are the most memorable experiences I've had in the cinema.

I watch and enjoy movies about as much as I ever have, I just find myself less likely to sit through a whole movie now than when I was younger, so I tend to watch them in a few sittings.

But I haven't gone to the theatre much in the past 20 years or so. Sure, there's nothing like a big screen with bigger sound, but a decent home theatre almost makes up for it when you consider the downside of going to the theatre.

As far as making popcorn at home goes, use coconut oil - it's pricier but worth every penny.

As far as making popcorn at home goes, use coconut oil - it's pricier but worth every penny.
Bingo!
And if you like a little heat, just sprinkle some dry hot pepper flakes (the kind used on pizza) on the kernels before they pop.

If I’m interested, I’ll rent something from the local Redbox, or buy the Blu-ray if I’m a fan, but I haven’t been to a movie theater in over a year - and I think that was when the wife and I were on vacation somewhere, when we had time!

Gonna be at the theater for the next two days. It's my kids 21st birthday tomorrow. She wants to see Star Wars and Call of the Wild. She wanted to do it in one day. 5+ hours at the theatre at once is a bit much I think, so Star Wars today, Call of the Wild tomorrow.

Gonna be at the theater for the next two days. It's my kids 21st birthday tomorrow. She wants to see Star Wars and Call of the Wild. She wanted to do it in one day. 5+ hours at the theatre at once is a bit much I think, so Star Wars today, Call of the Wild tomorrow.
Earning some Dad Points; Just another day. Be sure to cough or fart loudly during a quiet scene so she will think of you whenever she sees it again.

I used to go to the cinema more than once a month, in the months leading up to our child being born and now she’s here I’ve not been for a while.

When I’m working away from home instead of sitting in a hotel room bored I’ll go to a cinema and watch a film (if there’s one nearby) so there’s always that chance for the time being.

I still enjoy the experience of a cinema but it can wait for now.

So many movies now are just formula series, contrived, cliche, "why make one movie when you can make a sequel or turn it into a series. The Marvel Universe keeps getting bigger-before long Star Wars, Star Trek, will run into it and be consumed. I always liked Clint Eastwood westerns but never thought of him much as an actor but he is really a phenomenal director-just gets better. Play Misty for Me still freaks me out.

I'm a bit worried about how many people no longer have the attention span required to sit through a 90 minute movie.

I liked the drive-in movie theaters when I was younger.

Hardly any left nowadays though, and they're more of a curiosity.

We have one here still. And a phonebooth. Seriously. It has a historical marker next to it. It still works.

I'm not a big movie-goer anymore... I'm rarely hyped to go see a movie, and if I am, I'll either wait until it comes out on DVD or go when other people are going too. Rarely do I see myself go to the movies. I've recently gone to go see the Sonic movie because I genuinely wanted to see the movie & it was date for me so I went.

Back