A question about in ears.

Mukund

Hi everyone,
I recently started using in ears (shure e215's) and it took a while to get used them.Its been two weeks now and I've been using the small foam tips and I gave them time to mould and get my ear canal size.My right in ear fits perfectly but the left one needs more adjusting and doesn't sit right away.

Is it possible that my left ear canal is bigger than my right ear canal ? Has anyone experienced this ? Using medium foam tips on the left but small on the right ?
I may be wrong as I just started using in ears and maybe I don't know how to fit them properly.

Your ear canals are not identical and certainly might vary enough in size to warrant a different tip for each. This is one area where molds excel - they fit each ear perfectly. But if you're under 50, your ears change slightly over time and the molds no longer fit (read: seal) as well. So investing in molded IEMs every several years may not be very cost-effective compared to the adaptability of foam.

At some point in your musical journey, the sonic and isolation advantages of molds has to be considered if you're serious about using in-ears. Budget is a consideration for all of us, but understand that you get what you pay for when you spend $100 vs $1000. Good in-ears are an investment, just as good drums and hardware are an investment.

Bermuda

You may need different sized tips, no biggie. We aren't symmetrical at all, in fact your eyes and ears probably aren't level either.
Another trick to get a good seal is open your mouth a little when you are putting them in your ears.
I've been using the se215's for about 6 years.

Hi everyone,
I recently started using in ears (shure e215's) and it took a while to get used them.Its been two weeks now and I've been using the small foam tips and I gave them time to mould and get my ear canal size.My right in ear fits perfectly but the left one needs more adjusting and doesn't sit right away.

Is it possible that my left ear canal is bigger than my right ear canal ? Has anyone experienced this ? Using medium foam tips on the left but small on the right ?
I may be wrong as I just started using in ears and maybe I don't know how to fit them properly.
Nothing wrong with using a different tip, or even type of tip, for each ear. Maybe a plastic insert would be more comfortable in just the one ear. My right canal is pretty narrow so nothing but molded IEMs fits comfortably and delivers sound consistently.

If you were thinking about it, a molded, dual driver model from Ultimate Ears runs about $600, and they’ll give you a discount for creating a user account on their website.

Back