Do you like wildflowers???

idk if wildflowers interest you as much as they do to me, but i would love to know if you guys have any favs. For me personally, i love purple wildflowers a lot. Specifically New England Aster which is found in northeast of U.S. Its leaves develop around the base and at along the stems, and have 2, 3 or 4 sets of huge flaps along their edges, with either adjusted or pointed tips. Leaves, stems and phyllaries have a significant thick covering of long, straight, white, glandular hairs, spreading endlessly from the surface. I find this so fasicating.

In case you dont know what wildflowers are:
By definition, a wildflower is a flower that grows in the wilderness i.e. it is not planted intentionally through a seed. This does not necessarily mean that you cannot plant wildflower through a seed.

Yeah some wildflowers aren't indigenous but I've always enjoyed them too. I grew up in South Georgia which is flat and lots of swamps-basically contiguous with Okefenokee. Well anyways pretty bland terrain and often thick and difficult to travel but Spring and Fall wildflowers are just gorgeous. Wild azaleas are beautiful too, wild Lillies, and I like the carnivorous plants which I found pitched plants most common and more rare Venus fly traps. Along the coast of Georgia, and I presume SC, there are still lots of rice fields growing wild, You'll be in the middle of nowhere and find these huge earthen dams and wild rice growing now, which the ducks just love-bang, bang, bang LOL.

I prefer trees. This is why I live in the woods.
My best friends lives in a big stand of humongous live oaks. They are covered with resurrection ferns that come and go I note on my visits. He lives in the house his grandparents built, then parents and he grew up in it and now he lives in it -though changed it all up. It's just beautiful huge tree trucks touching the ground- perfect for climbing and tree houses which he, his son and grand kids all built over the decades. It's easy and fun to climb in them. It takes forever to grow a decent tree and I never understood why developers will clear all the trees and then plant new ones. I love a nice canopy to walk through the forest. My parents built the home I grew up in a stand of huge Long leaf yellow pines most 90-100 foot tall but it has some various oaks too. Beside it is a creek with tall Long leaf yellow pines but underneath were these swamp maples that only grew to 20-30 foot and made a nice canopy to walk through with the huge intermittent pines (and just beautiful in fall). Many of the pines were scarred from turpentine days and those that died the heartwood would form tall monoliths of fat lighter-like a big pole of rock. As kids my friends and I would chip away at them because the fat lighter is praised by all with wood burning stoves or fireplaces and we could sell it easily in our neighborhood.

idk if wildflowers interest you as much as they do to me, but i would love to know if you guys have any favs. For me personally, i love purple wildflowers a lot. Specifically New England Aster which is found in northeast of U.S. Its leaves develop around the base and at along the stems, and have 2, 3 or 4 sets of huge flaps along their edges, with either adjusted or pointed tips. Leaves, stems and phyllaries have a significant thick covering of long, straight, white, glandular hairs, spreading endlessly from the surface. I find this so fasicating.

In case you dont know what wildflowers are:
By definition, a wildflower is a flower that grows in the wilderness i.e. it is not planted intentionally through a seed. This does not necessarily mean that you cannot plant wildflower through a seed.

I'm not sure if you are aware of wildflowers from other countries.....but there is a very, very small little outback town here in Western Australia called "Mullewa". It's considered a world renowned area for wildflowers. They are utterly breathtaking. Apparently people from all over the globe visit this tiny place to photograph them.

Been there in spring - beautiful place! Loved the native orchids as well as all the other beautiful wildflowers.

I don't know - but I remember seeing them when we were there.We have photos of them - unique. My wife is the wildflower expert. But we loved Stirling Nat Park and Kalbarri for all the wildflowers.

We don't have to many rare plants but the swamps of South Ga and South Florida are home to rare ghost orchids. We use to have the corkscrew ghost orchid in swamps growing up but I haven't seen one in decades. On coast of Georgia we have hairy rattle weed/fake indigo.

Renegade thread-least we make drums out of wild flowers this thread should be deleted. Trees on the other hand makes drums so we can talk wood LOL.

Back