8 lug snare recommendations

Flow

I just picked up an inexpensive 8 lug snare and am finding I really like the feel.

Now I'm thinking I might like to get something a bit higher end, but most of the online retailers either don't stock many mid to high-end 8 lug snares or don't have a UI that allows me to specify 8 lugs in my search query, so getting a sense of what's out there is proving to be more challenging than I expected. I know a lot of companies are now making 13" eight lug snares, but I think I'm more interested in a 14" drum for now.

Of course, I'm aware of Acrolites, the 8 lug Black Beauties, and also Dunnett. Anyone have any other recommendations for me?

Bill Detamore from Pork Pie drums will make you a custom brass 8 lug. I have one. He would probably do wood shells too. Give him a call. They make an iron 8 lug snare that looks like it's aluminum. I have one. Nice drum for the money, under 300. It got me hooked on 8 lug snares.

Oriollo has some nice 8-lug copper, brass, aluminum, and steel drums. I have an 8-lug 5x14 copper Oriollo, it sounds so buttery and warm. I also have a 10-lug 5x15 copper Oriollo and a 10-lug 6.5x14 brass. The 8 lug definitely has a more velvety feel.

I have an 8-lug Gretsch Brooklyn COB snare that and sounds fantabulous! It's a 5x14. For whatever reason, on their high-end snares, Gretsch generally uses 8 lugs with a 5-inch depth and 10 lugs with snares that are 6 inches or deeper (or 20 single-ended lugs).

Sorry to shamelessly plug, and I hope I am not breaking forum rules, but--
I have an 8-lug batter S-Hoop that I bought for a snare that I ultimately returned. The extent of its use was being installed on the snare and played for a couple of hours before removing so I could return the snare. $10 and you pay shipping. If any of you are interested, let me know!

I went with 8 lugs when I ordered my Noble and Cooley Walnut SS 6 x 14” snare . I have not regretted that decision one second . It feels different to play than a 10 lug drum but better to me . It tunes up like a dream and it weighs less .
I prefer the feel of an 8 lug snare to a 10 lug . The stick feels like it digs in a bit more with an 8 lug . A 10 lug snare feels stiffer and harder to me .

Attachments

• Walnut SSjpeg.jpg
    Walnut SSjpeg.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I really like the Tama SLP Dry Aluminum snare.

I just picked up an inexpensive 8 lug snare and am finding I really like the feel.

Now I'm thinking I might like to get something a bit higher end, but most of the online retailers either don't stock many mid to high-end 8 lug snares or don't have a UI that allows me to specify 8 lugs in my search query, so getting a sense of what's out there is proving to be more challenging than I expected. I know a lot of companies are now making 13" eight lug snares, but I think I'm more interested in a 14" drum for now.

Of course, I'm aware of Acrolites, the 8 lug Black Beauties, and also Dunnett. Anyone have any other recommendations for me?
Ludwig just released a 6.5x14 Black Beauty with 8 lugs (I think there's a recent thread on here about it), and I think they'd done the same with the 5x14 before that...?

My mid-level Mapex Pro-M and Pacific CX 5x14 snares both have 8 lugs, and sound as great as upper-level maple snares I've owned that had 10. I replaced the batter hoop on the Pacific with a beefier flanged hoop because rimclicks weren't great. They now pop nicely.

Sorry to shamelessly plug, and I hope I am not breaking forum rules, but--
I have an 8-lug batter S-Hoop that I bought for a snare that I ultimately returned. The extent of its use was being installed on the snare and played for a couple of hours before removing so I could return the snare. $10 and you pay shipping. If any of you are interested, let me know!
I might be interested. Does anyone else on here have the corresponding snare-side hoop and is willing to sell it?

Stop infecting me with GAS for a vintage Radio King lol

I'm suffering with it myself at the moment, I've seen one up for £550 and I'm tempted. Not sure if it's worth it as I'd have to gig it to justify owning it and I'm unsure of the reliability of a 64 year old snare.

I have a 10 lug steambent with modern fittings and strainer......

I'm suffering with it myself at the moment, I've seen one up for £550 and I'm tempted. Not sure if it's worth it as I'd have to gig it to justify owning it and I'm unsure of the reliability of a 64 year old snare.

I have a 10 lug steambent with modern fittings and strainer......

As long as you don’t crank it too high, it would probably be OK. But to be safe, you could just swap out the hardware if you were going to gig it. Or just keep an extra snare on hand when you gig.

I've got a 14" X 5" Blaemire fiberglass snare with eight lugs is a killer snare.

Carolina Drumworks Birdseye Maple 13" X 7" is downright amazing.

Any of the eight lug Dunnett snares are fantastic.

Thanks for the recommendations, everyone! This is very helpful. It's good to know there are so many options.

Ludwig just released a 6.5x14 Black Beauty with 8 lugs (I think there's a recent thread on here about it), and I think they'd done the same with the 5x14 before that...?

My mid-level Mapex Pro-M and Pacific CX 5x14 snares both have 8 lugs, and sound as great as upper-level maple snares I've owned that had 10. I replaced the batter hoop on the Pacific with a beefier flanged hoop because rimclicks weren't great. They now pop nicely.

I might be interested. Does anyone else on here have the corresponding snare-side hoop and is willing to sell it?
I put a s-hoop on a CX 5x14 wood with PureSounds and HD Dry head. Sounds perfectly acceptable. As always, a lot has to do with tuning.

Back