Proper Music

Yeah flower power, let's buy a beat up Volkswagon for 200-500 bucks and paint it with peace signs and Mary Jane leaves LOL. It was fun because there was the usual censored fare on radio but then buying albums was like sneaking into a speak easy buying the verboten. Not all stores carried bell bottoms and worn clothing the hippies and freaks so enjoy. The contrast of the some of "pop"ular music compared to all the innovation in unfettered music was really bizarre-then stick disco in there later on and I was like WTH is going on. I remember one of my roommates thought he was John Travolta and loved to bust a move disco dancing-then he bought these high heeled shoes (I told him watch out for the Low Spark of High Heeled boys-but he paid me no never mind LOL.) and I remember him getting on the dance floor and busting his butt instead of a move LOL (those shoes were ridiculous-he never wore them again). Good times. Didn't have blow dryers so I would take a shower and stand on back porch with morning sun shaking my long locks in the sun. It was dang "purdy" (which translates beyond mere pretty) and I got lots of "comments"-I can't say all were compliments LOL But man some great music-in fact I was watching some old videos of Emerson, Lake, and Palmer and man I'd forgotten just how great they were-still blows me away.

That cartoon is only true for people who are only interested in music from the 70’s..

People within the musical environments where i like to hang out could not disagree more, myself included..

The 70’s are by far my less favorite decade regarding basically everything..

And musically, the only really nice things that happened were some nice funk, punk, new wave (late 70’s) and Steely Dan..

I am sure I forget a few nice things now, like Rickie Lee Jones and some Joni Mitchell records..

Maybe the 70’s were not that bad after all, if all the typical classic rock (Boston, Cheap Trick, etc), disco and Queen can just be ignored and left out..lol..

That cartoon is only true for people who are only interested in music from the 70’s..

People within the musical environments where i like to hang out could not disagree more, myself included..

And musically, the only really nice things that happened were some nice funk, punk, new wave (late 70’s) and Steely Dan..

I am sure I forget a few nice things now, like Rickie Lee Jones and some Joni Mitchell records..

Maybe the 70’s were not that bad after all, if all the typical classic rock (Boston, Cheap Trick, etc), disco and Queen can just be ignored and left out..lol..

So you must really dislike fusion music then?

I was a 70's/80's cusp person...

in my early days, I had a steady diet of classical and hippie stuff from my mom's side of the family, and jazz from my dad's side. The first music I remember playing on drums was Dave Brubeck, a ton of Motown stuff, with the J 5 and Temptations being the most memorable. My first concert ever was the Jackson 5 either in 75 or 76...

my friends older brothers got me into Styx, Rush and Kansas. One fateful day, my freind and I were popping around the newly acquired Qube cable box his parents had just installed, and we came across this video of a huge lighted stage set, with 5 guys in spandex and studs, and this awesome drum beat going...next, the guitar and bass came in, and then the words: "The white man came, Across the sea...." Iron Maiden on the young MTV...I literally remember saying out loud to my friend "that is what I want to be"...that was it. The defining moment. He still lives in the house (bought from his parents years ago) and we still talk about that day b/c he said I just stood there for the whole video with my mouth open...

I feel like that cusp era was the seminal time for lots of what we know now...but that is most likely because of the warm fuzzies I get from thinking about that era

Whenever I stop in Alice’s Restaurant on my weekly motorcycle ride they have 70’s softish rock playing, Alan Parson’s, Steely Dan, Fleetwood Mac and I have to say I agree that it was pretty happy music with nice melodies and harmonies that make me feel good.

I approve of the cartoon. :)

70s music is great. Lots of really upbeat, happy music. I don't really see how people, especially drummers, don't like disco. It has tons of hooky beats and grooves. People like to dance to it. That screams drummer to me.

The clothes are horrid. Stuff of nightmares.

I’m totally okay with the clothes. Much better than color changing shirts and shoes with lights on them from the 80’s.

I’m totally okay with the clothes. Much better than color changing shirts and shoes with lights on them from the 80’s.

Bell bottoms don't even begin to compete with pants sagging below a guy's ass exposing most of his underwear, or worse. I can't tell you now many times I've been tempted to tell someone "Why don't you pull your fxxxxxg pants up. No one wants to look at your dirty stained underwear."

Really? how about the shoulder pad jackets those were the best.

I rarely if ever saw people actually wearing those things. Sadly, I can't say the same thing about the saggy pants.

Bell bottoms don't even begin to compete with pants sagging below a guy's ass exposing most of his underwear, or worse. I can't tell you now many times I've been tempted to tell someone "Why don't you pull your fxxxxxg pants up. No one wants to look at your dirty stained underwear."

I am the opposite...I always want to de-pants them...just get it over with

Led Zep?
Jaco & Weather Report?
Ohio Players?
Earth, Wind & Fire?

The Isley Brothers "That Lady" was a great song (a great band actually), Doobie bros were very popular, Van Morrison-MoonDance, Fleetwood Mac (70s were wild-remember the fake New Fleetwood Mac then the "new" real Fleetwood Mac came back LOL), Ziggy Stardust-Bowie, late 70s Foreigner, ZZ tops, Electric light Orch, Emerson/Lake,/Palmer, Steely Dan (always one of my all-time fave), Yes, man the list keeps going and going.

The 60's and 70's together amount to the two greatest decades in music history.

The 60's and 70's together amount to the two greatest decades in music history.

hmm....

I would also add the 1940's and 50's....jazz

and the 1600's - 1700's....classical

"The clothes are horrid" LOL
Plaid bell bottom pants are making a come back

Whenever I see pictures of myself up to 5 years old, it horrifies me to think that my mom actually chose those ridiculous looking threads for me to wear.

I am the opposite...I always want to de-pants them...just get it over with

I think those people need to be issued tickets for indecent exposure. I wonder how many pants saggers realize that saggy pants is prison nomenclature for "available for sex"?

Really? how about the shoulder pad jackets those were the best.

My mom was extremely guilty of this. A little tiny woman that has linebacker shoulders. Something looks off...

See, this is the problem. Everybody is listening to the same stuff they have been for the last 40 years and rallies against new music. The issue being that there is plenty of fantastic new music out there if people would just open their ears for half an hour. The music industry isn't dying guys, it's changing.

Personally I think the 70s is the second-most miserable decade of them all. Only surpassed by the 80s. But I'm British and we didn't exactly cover ourselves with glory.

Back