Anyone still using hanging floor toms?

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
Just curious if any of you are using hanging floor toms in 2020. Thanks!

I've used a hanging fl tom (on a RIMS mount) on my rack since 1993, primarily for tone. Never hung a fl tom (or rack) on local gigs though.

_hangfltom.jpg

My Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute kit has all hanging toms, including the 14x12 and 16x14. I generally use that kit as a four piece with a 12x10, 16x14 & 22x18 BD. Sounds great for rock and the hanging toms make setup a breeze.

Yes two of them, 16" & 18" toms mounted on a rack. Never had an issue with them in the 20+ years I've had the kit. I've also never had an issue with any of my toms bouncing (rims or STM mounted). Yes they move, but not so much that it causes any issues.

I still mount the 14" tom on my Stage Custom kit, mostly because I've never bought legs and leg mounts for it.

I recently set up my Tama Rockstar kit and hung my 14" tom as a floor tom. It's my first kit with a hanging floor tom. Not bad overall. Kind of strange to not see legs or get my pants stuck on a mount when I get in/out of the kit.

I do, on a rehearsal kit on stands and a gig kit on a rack. They're both 14" toms in the FT position, but I've played kits with hanging 16s there and didn't have any issues. I imagine an 18 wouldn't either, provided the mount, bracket, arm, etc. is heavy duty enough.

None of my sets have hanging floor toms anymore.

Hi! New to Drummerworld Forum; just joined 5 minutes ago! I have a Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute set from 2002. My 14" & 16" toms are hanging floor toms.

So if this configuration is from a past era does that mean thet they're vintage? Just kidding. I've got a set of Ayotte DrumSmith drums from the 90s and all four toms are hanging toms. They do seem to sound more open but I do miss the solid feedback that ypu get from a floor tom that's mounted on legs.

Warning! Detour ahead:

Nice picture of that kit, @bermuda! Just gotta ask two questions:
* Why two vocal mics? (My guess is one for singing and one for internal iem communication?)
* With outdoor gigs like that, I suspect you mostly headline late at night so maybe that is not a problem for you. But I have found that outdoor festivals, the sun and music on a shiny tablet is not a great combination. How do you handle that?

To each their own, if you have a rack set up and/or don't have to set it up tear down by yourself all the time it's cool. For me they're a pain in the arse.

I do miss my Arbiter Maple AT kit which had a 14" hanging floor. 1 lug tuning was great!

All personal preference. My recording customs I purchased in the 80's had them. Gigged/played them for about 25 years. Couldn't wait to sell them. Have a set of Yamaha Hybrid Maples and specifically wanted the 14 & 16 floor to have legs.

I’ve played church kits with 4 or 6 hanging toms and it was a bit of a job to frequently reconfigure for a different drummers. My personal has two floor toms and there are times I wish everything was rack-mountable.

Warning! Detour ahead:

Nice picture of that kit, @bermuda! Just gotta ask two questions:
* Why two vocal mics? (My guess is one for singing and one for internal iem communication?)
* With outdoor gigs like that, I suspect you mostly headline late at night so maybe that is not a problem for you. But I have found that outdoor festivals, the sun and music on a shiny tablet is not a great combination. How do you handle that?

Thanks! One mic is for vocals, the other for kit and a little stage ambience. Open air shows are rare for us, and always in the evening so ipad screen reflection isn't a problem (I only used it for one tour in 2018.)

Bermuda

Back