Jim Gordon

Love this one, love how he so nonchalantly flips from match to trad to start off the tune and just comes in so perfect.

Threw on some live Delaney and Bonnie and Friends yesterday and was reminded just how freaking amazing an in control of whatever band he was playing with Jim is. He is one of those drummers like Buddy or Vinnie that no matter how many times I go back to listen and reevaluate, Im reminded that yes, they are really that good, untouchable. Jims playing to me is pure magic, that genius level that teters on (and unfortunately delves into) insanity. There is a fine line they say. But....Im just all about his playing. For me, its like every note hits that sweet spot. Not just the sweet spot physically on the drum/cymbal, deriving the perfect tone for each musical opportunity, but the sweet spot in terms of time and choice. No other drummer hits me the way Jim does. Not only delights me upon listening but actually inspires me to post a comment like this out of the blue, for no reason, unrequested, unrequired lol. But wow, certain people have given me so much joy in my life just by doing their job. Could never thank Vinnie or Jim enough.

Threw on some live Delaney and Bonnie and Friends yesterday and was reminded just how freaking amazing an in control of whatever band he was playing with Jim is. He is one of those drummers like Buddy or Vinnie that no matter how many times I go back to listen and reevaluate, Im reminded that yes, they are really that good, untouchable. Jims playing to me is pure magic, that genius level that teters on (and unfortunately delves into) insanity. There is a fine line they say. But....Im just all about his playing. For me, its like every note hits that sweet spot. Not just the sweet spot physically on the drum/cymbal, deriving the perfect tone for each musical opportunity, but the sweet spot in terms of time and choice. No other drummer hits me the way Jim does. Not only delights me upon listening but actually inspires me to post a comment like this out of the blue, for no reason, unrequested, unrequired lol. But wow, certain people have given me so much joy in my life just by doing their job. Could never thank Vinnie or Jim enough.

Jeff Porcaro absolutely concurred those sentiments-- I watched a YT video from a clinic where he stated the Best drummer out there was Jim Gordon. Quite the accolade coming from Jeff.

Love this one, love how he so nonchalantly flips from match to trad to start off the tune and just comes in so perfect.

Take another look....

;)

(He is holding the stick traditional, but "backwards" and knuckles down on his thigh. He flips his hand over without changing grip to start the snare part...)

Yes I recall seeing that Jeff Porcaro vid and felt a bit vindicated. Ok its not just me, this guy is from another planet good lol.

Great eye on the stick flipgate issue. On another watch i noticed a guy standing on a grassy knoll handing him a stick, hard to be sure.

Yes I recall seeing that Jeff Porcaro vid and felt a bit vindicated. Ok its not just me, this guy is from another planet good lol.

Great eye on the stick flipgate issue. On another watch i noticed a guy standing on a grassy knoll handing him a stick, hard to be sure.

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE....

lol

Threw in my Zappa Hot Rats/Grand Wazoo discs today and man theres some tasty Jim on there. Zappa sometimes takes me a few listens, and this one just keeps getting better. Good old Jim, needed some of his magic today!

Time for a Jim Gordon thread bump, thanks to the powers of the almighty youtube I stumbled across this, unknown to me gem from the Johnny Cash show that produced a video for Its Too Late, now we have audio from Blues Power and its a mutha! Jim is absolutely on fire ridiculous. Enjoy!

Oh wait, just saw this bootleg album....did not know about this.....fabulous!!

As a side note, Jims second tom tom is ported on the bottom/resonant head, his drums and cymbals, as always, sound pristine. Im wondering was his ear so god damn good that when he set up in the room, he instinctively knew to get "his sound" he needed to port that reso? For me he was so next level, I think mostly from his work ethic, dedication, and his relentless studio experience which demanded he do every damn thing that could be done, in perfect time, with perfect feel and perfect sounding equipment. Im a fan, Im fired up, I need to put my coffee down.

Thanks for being the one place in the world I can share this kind of thing and enthusiasm with and only feel slightly like a total loon.

Threw in my Zappa Hot Rats/Grand Wazoo discs today and man theres some tasty Jim on there. Zappa sometimes takes me a few listens, and this one just keeps getting better. Good old Jim, needed some of his magic today!

One of my early Zappa concerts was at the Hollywood Bowl in Sept, 1972, with Jim on drums. He had his big concert tom kit (maybe an Octaplus but I believe he had Blaemire toms like Hal Blaine's.) None of the funny stuff a la Just Another Band and Live At the Fillmore, but a great show nonetheless!

Bermuda

One of my early Zappa concerts was at the Hollywood Bowl in Sept, 1972, with Jim on drums. He had his big concert tom kit (maybe an Octaplus but I believe he had Blaemire toms like Hal Blaine's.) None of the funny stuff a la Just Another Band and Live At the Fillmore, but a great show nonetheless!

Bermuda
Wow, that is super cool! I would've loved to have been able to see him play, and to get to see him with Frank...just wow!

I can't believe I'm seeing this. Just yesterday I was thinking of this thread and how I haven't seen it in a while.

Strange how these things work.

I just re-read that interview about a month ago, and then listened to the clips last week. You did such a service to drumming with that interview—thank you.

Back