Setting up an '80's Power Tom kit in a more low key fashion

Keyholio

Experienced musician, newbie drummer here. I'm looking to set up this new to me Pearl World Series kit a little differently. The plan is to move the 13" RT off the Kick and attach it to a cymbal stand, and likewise move the 14" RT off to the right in more of a FT position, probably on a snare stand I have around.

It seems to me from what I'm reading and seeing is that the current trend in drumming is to have everything lower and flatter, which is how my band's drummer has his Slingerland and bopper kits set up. I'll ask him for advice at the next rehearsal, but I'd like to have things decently set up before he gets here.

Any advice before I work on this setup using this clamp --
SC-4425G.jpg?

Here's a pic of the kit. I now have a DW3000 two leg HH stand there instead of that big Tama.

Pearl World Coral Red Power Tom Set.jpeg
Thanks.

That's essentially the same clamp I use (I think mine might be a little larger) to run a rack tom off a cymbal stand. Don't be afraid to switch things up. Experiment. You might find the snare stand will work better under the 13" (rack tom position) and use the clamp/cymbal stand on the 14" (to get a lower floor tom height).

Attachments

• 2 b.jpg
    2 b.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 22
That looks like a great solution to me!

This reminds me of something I keep noticing: everyone seems to keep their 'floor tom' (low tom, whatever you want to call it) far off to the side. When I use one (usually a 2pc guy) it's parallel to my snare, hugged up so tight on my bass drum leg that my thigh and knee rub.

Now I have to learn the art of cymbal placement

That looks like a great solution to me!

This reminds me of something I keep noticing: everyone seems to keep their 'floor tom' (low tom, whatever you want to call it) far off to the side. When I use one (usually a 2pc guy) it's parallel to my snare, hugged up so tight on my bass drum leg that my thigh and knee rub.
Right. That FT is not going to stay way over there. I have not winnowed down my cymbals to the eventual keepers so the stand legs are in the way at the moment. I will tinker with the setup and tighten things up on the right hand side.

Now I have to learn the art of cymbal placement
Just keep at it. Move stuff around. You'll eventually find out what you like, and don't like. I find my "default" ride cymbal placement is always over the right of the bass drum.

Also, a Roto Tom fan.

Attachments

• 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    166.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    171.6 KB · Views: 16
Right. That FT is not going to stay way over there. I have not winnowed down my cymbals to the eventual keepers so the stand legs are in the way at the moment. I will tinker with the setup and tighten things up on the right hand side.

I mean I have no problem with people setting up differently, I get comments on a 2 pc set up frequently, but it sounds like you set up that 'position' similarly to I. The pic was a reminder that I've seen this a lot lately though and it made me question if I keep mine too close. I've always preferred tighter set ups though, I use small kits and early onset osteoarthritis in my snare shoulder (dumb teenage injury, not due to drums) have caused me to become more of a 'wrist' player and less of an 'elbows and shoulders' player.

I mean I have no problem with people setting up differently, I get comments on a 2 pc set up frequently, but it sounds like you set up that 'position' similarly to I. The pic was a reminder that I've seen this a lot lately though and it made me question if I keep mine too close. I've always preferred tighter set ups though, I use small kits and early onset osteoarthritis in my snare shoulder (dumb teenage injury, not due to drums) have caused me to become more of a 'wrist' player and less of an 'elbows and shoulders' player.
I'm new to drumming so hardly have a real sense of what I will like as my technique develops. I'm rather tall and long limbed, so a little more room may be right for me. We shall see. I hope to document my learning on here as well as my gear.

I'm new to drumming so hardly have a real sense of what I will like as my technique develops. I'm rather tall and long limbed, so a little more room may be right for me. We shall see. I hope to document my learning on here as well as my gear.

I'm 6' and about 215lb, my buddy is about 6'5" and 190lb soaking wet with arms as long as my legs... Whenever I sit on his kit I feel like a kid on an adult's kit haha. He sits super low but has everything very high up, I'm pretty flexible with set ups but I literally cannot comfortably finish a single song on his kit. His cymbals are eye level with me when I'm standing and his floor tom is seriously atleast 1-2' off to the side.

I'm 6', 140lb. I'm all limbs too, but my kit is packed in tight. There isn't a right way, just a right way for you. If it's comfortable and your technique is good so you don't hurt yourself, that's all that really matters. It you like spread out, cool. If you like packed in tight, cool.

A778C7DB-3F2D-47DB-82A3-12D816499494.jpeg
I got the floor toms set up tighter and the cymbals where I think I want them for now.
A778C7DB-3F2D-47DB-82A3-12D816499494.jpeg1946B7B7-0591-4C46-A2A6-5CC056F57A04.jpeg

Back