Broadkaster Vintage Build

it's been awhile since I've been around here, but am pretty excited about this so I had to share! I scored a new 4 piece Broadkaster kit (24, 13, 16, 14x6.5), vintage build, in the satin copper finish. (I really wanted one of these in the antique pearl, but couldn't ever justify spending the money.) I stumbled upon an auction on ebay starting at $1499 and I somehow ended up being the only bidder. I was a bit skeptical at first, but it just arrived today. only real issue (aside from a few weird spots in the finish) is two of the floor tom legs won't go into the holders. one is currently stuck in there and only spins in place when I try and move it. I emailed Gretsch, so I'll see what happens there. if anything I suppose I could file the holes a bit?

it's a super nice kit, but the rail is extremely difficult to keep in place. I have it on a snare stand for now because I was really struggling with it. aside from getting it to stay tight, it's tough to find a sweet spot. does anyone else have this issue?

Attachments

• IMG_7223.jpg
    IMG_7223.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 71
Wow, you got a great deal. Awesome sizes and finish! Normally a kit like that would go for double the price. (A similar build sold on Reverb for $3,200)

I love that Satin Copper finish...it's just so...different, and classy.

I'm not a big fan of the vintage hardware spec, it can be finicky (which I'm sure you're experiencing) but it sure looks cool. For the price you paid though, it's worth it! How does it sound?

yeah! which is why I was initially thinking it was listed wrong or something. however, looking at their website it's for sale at $4800, which seems absurdly high. it's probably sat there for awhile or something. I figured even if I didn't want to keep it I could just resell it. once I opened the boxes though I said to myself 'I'm definitely keeping these!'. the finish wouldn't be my first choice, but it's awesome in person. I am pretty much a clearance shopper with everything in life. i like (mostly) not having to worry about options and stuff and just having to go with what's in front of you.

definitely not going to fret about the hardware, but for drums that are normally $3k+ I'd expect a bit better. anyway, they sound pretty great as far as I can tell behind the kit. love the bass drum! rack tom is great. floor tom is unplayable at the moment. glad I took the chance on them!

yeah! which is why I was initially thinking it was listed wrong or something. however, looking at their website it's for sale at $4800, which seems absurdly high. it's probably sat there for awhile or something. I figured even if I didn't want to keep it I could just resell it. once I opened the boxes though I said to myself 'I'm definitely keeping these!'. the finish wouldn't be my first choice, but it's awesome in person. I am pretty much a clearance shopper with everything in life. i like (mostly) not having to worry about options and stuff and just having to go with what's in front of you.

definitely not going to fret about the hardware, but for drums that are normally $3k+ I'd expect a bit better. anyway, they sound pretty great as far as I can tell behind the kit. love the bass drum! rack tom is great. floor tom is unplayable at the moment. glad I took the chance on them!

Yeah that hardware is craptastic, I believe that they have a new vintage rail design by dw now that they own them. I’d check it out. Anyway you got a steal, enjoy those beauties

Great sizes and great price! As mentioned, Gretsch showed off a new rail mount at NAMM if you're into that sort of thing. Have you heard back about the tom legs or figured anything out?

I'll probably just go snare stand for the tom. I emailed Gretsch and they finally reached out 13 days later requesting my purchase receipt. Haven't heard back since. I was able to get the the legs in, but they don't adjust too easily.

Back