My new boutique bass from. . .

Old Dog new Cans

Stubblefield drums. 20" x 12". Got a heckuva deal on it. I think it was ordered and then not paid for, but not really sure. Got it through Reverb. Punchy, light weight, cool looking smaller turret style lugs I guess you would call them? He does great work.

stub drum.jpgStubby drum.jpg

looks lovely! have you contacted the maker for specs? or dont need to know them, only that its a lovely drum? :)

I don't know everything about it just yet. Birch shell, very light--haven't tried counting plies yet either. I would assume the hoops are maple?
Other than the fact it's 20" x 12" and birch. . . ?‍♂️

Have you gigged with it/are you going to, and hear it live in the mix?

I have a Sonor Player bass drum (along with the entire 4 piece kit), same dimensions. I've gigged with it for years and it delivers a solid low punch that has worked well for the venues I've played it in with a blues group. I've used a PS3 clear batter and black PS3 resonant head with a built in kickport.

Have you gigged with it/are you going to, and hear it live in the mix?

I have a Sonor Player bass drum (along with the entire 4 piece kit), same dimensions. I've gigged with it for years and it delivers a solid low punch that has worked well for the venues I've played it in with a blues group. I've used a PS3 clear batter and black PS3 resonant head with a built in kickport.

Yes, it would certainly be my first choice to use in a live situation. But I haven't as of yet. It has a clear EQ4 batter and an EQ3 reso. My love of this drum starts with it's size and weight--or lack of. I used to be the guy in marching band that carried the LARGEST bass drum. I'm over it, lol. My back gives me fits. If I don't have to lug a big bass I won't.

looks lovely! have you contacted the maker for specs? or dont need to know them, only that its a lovely drum? :)

I went back to the listing on Reverb. . . :rolleyes:

• all birch 8 Ply Keller shell 12x20
  • 12x20
  • Double 45 degree Bearing edges
  • Transparent Red Mahogany Satin finish
  • Natural Maple Hoops
  • Single Point "S" lugs
  • Evans Clear EQ4 batter and EQ3Resonant heads
"S" lugs refers to Stubblefield

Last edited:
Congrats, that's a nice lookin' bass drum. I've always wondered why 12" depth bass drums are so rare. You can either get a deep "normal" sized bass drum, or a shallow 8" depth portable bass drum, but almost never an in-between size like 12 inches. I happen to have a 22x12" single-tension Slingerland bass drum from 1948. It's such a great size!

Tell us, how does it sound?

Congrats, that's a nice lookin' bass drum. I've always wondered why 12" depth bass drums are so rare. You can either get a deep "normal" sized bass drum, or a shallow 8" depth portable bass drum, but almost never an in-between size like 12 inches. I happen to have a 22x12" single-tension Slingerland bass drum from 1948. It's such a great size!

Tell us, how does it sound?

It has an interesting punch. Still has a great low tone. I started drumming in the 80s. So stuffing the bass drum with blankets and pillows was the way to go. I still do that a lot. But, I'm going to MILDLY do some dampening on this drum. I think too much dampening would just be silly.

It doesn't have a shallow look to it. I mean, it's nothing like a 24x22. But it doesn't look like a baby, lol.

That Slingy has to be interesting! Do you have pics here? link? Lol

That Slingy has to be interesting! Do you have pics here? link? Lol
Yup! Here it is...a student Slingerland "outfit" that came with a 22x12" bass drum, and a 14x6" snare. This is from 1958, not 1948 like I said before, haha.

I got it back in 1989, and it was dirty and had rough looking hoops that needed paint...so my 11 year old self simply painted the hoops black again, WITH A BRUSH, lol.....without sanding it or anything. Today I would've cringed and/or yelled at someone doing that...but I knew nothing back then, lol.

So, 30 years later, I decided to refinish the hoops properly by taking off the inlays and sanding the old paint off. I then used many light coats of black semi-gloss. They turned out great! I just need to reapply the Black Diamond Pearl inlay to one of the hoops, and I'll be done. [almost forgot: I got a Slingerland decal to go on the Ambassador that I still need to apply as well]. I've been considering getting the DW clamp-on spurs so I can use it for gigging.

It sounds great. I went with a Powerstroke 3 batter and Ambassador coated reso because I wanted a boomier more open sound. It sounds very Carlockian. It's a nice contrast to all my other bass drums that have muffled Superkick or Emads.

xWB5aoh.jpg

becUbI6.jpg

The snare that came with it...
DDovQKW.jpg

BEFORE
LfkMlA0.png

AFTER
jgaue4U.jpg

Last edited:
Yup! Here it is...a student Slingerland "outfit" that came with a 22x12" bass drum, and a 14x6" snare. This is from 1958, not 1948 like I said before, haha.

I got it back in 1989, and it was dirty and had rough looking hoops that needed paint...so my 11 year old self simply painted the hoops black again, WITH A BRUSH, lol.....without sanding it or anything. Today I would've cringed and/or yelled at someone doing that...but I knew nothing back then, lol.

So, 30 years later, I decided to refinish the hoops properly by taking off the inlays and sanding the old paint off. I then used many light coats of black semi-gloss. They turned out great! I just need to reapply the Black Diamond Pearl inlay to one of the hoops, and I'll be done. [almost forgot: I got a Slingerland decal to go on the Ambassador that I still need to apply as well]. I've been considering getting the DW clamp-on spurs so I can use it for gigging.

It sounds great. I went with a Powerstroke 3 batter and Ambassador coated reso because I wanted a boomier more open sound. It sounds very Carlockian. It's a nice contrast to all my other bass drums that have muffled Superkick or Emads.

Wow, what a neat and pretty drum. I love old Slingerlands. . .

Hey, for 11yr old you to have the sight to paint the hoops and make them look better than they were, we all start somewhere. And that was darn early. I don't think I picked up sticks until I was 11 or 12.

It's also cool that you kept it. I've griped and griped about my old Crestlines I had to play on. But if I could get those back, I'm not even sure what happened to them.

Back