One less tom/cymbal - stripping down kit

..Wow.... a whole lot more entertainment value here than in five bass drum pedal threads combined! Lol..

And then realise that all the commotion is about one (as in '1') less tom and cymbal..

Imagine how a thread is when someone decides to remove all toms..

Or, even worse, when someone decides to get rid of the whole set and...............................starts playing bass...............or...........just wants to quit......................?

And then realise that all the commotion is about one (as in '1') less tom and cymbal..

Or, even worse, when someone decides to get rid of the whole set and...............................starts playing bass...............or...........just wants to quit......................?

Perhaps you'd like to take this outside ; P

Hmmm.... I've been thinking about that...

I've sort of done this. I've decided that this year being able to access the cymbals easier is more important than the toms. It does eliminate being able to use the hi hat pedal, which is weird, but my goal is more speed/less effort. And yes, the left ride gets used almost as much as the right.

IMG_20200123_144714.jpg

There was an artist back in the 80s who just used a cymbal. I forget who that was....
Leon Parker, he used only a ride cymbal. No drums.

That's the thing, I never want to play with less than two toms, and two cymbals. I'm not a minimalist, there's just rarely any reason for me to take more than 2+2. Even when I'm going to play a lot of stuff. Maybe an extra crash or china type. I don't need more than one low tom sound, I don't want a 10" bongo-type sound, and I don't miss having a middle sound. So that kind of narrows it down. Most music is not about multi-pitched tom toms anyway.

That's the thing, I never want to play with less than two toms, and two cymbals. I'm not a minimalist, there's just rarely any reason for me to take more than 2+2. Even when I'm going to play a lot of stuff. Maybe an extra crash or china type. I don't need more than one low tom sound, I don't want a 10" bongo-type sound, and I don't miss having a middle sound. So that kind of narrows it down. Most music is not about multi-pitched tom toms anyway.
Andy Newmark said something like this you. But I think he added one crash cymbal. But four drums were it. David Garibaldi also did that in the early days of Tower if Power. There’s a lot you can say with four drums and a couple of cymbals.

I've sort of done this. I've decided that this year being able to access the cymbals easier is more important than the toms. It does eliminate being able to use the hi hat pedal, which is weird, but my goal is more speed/less effort. And yes, the left ride gets used almost as much as the right.

View attachment 89774
reminds me of bill brufords symmetrical setup :)

I would never have thought it possible, but this is actually getting more humorous with each post...

Now that we have introduced the plausibility of performing with only ONE cymbal....

Let us advance to the only logical step-toe tapping!

Yep, in the interest of ultimate portability AND artistic integrity, ladies and gentlemen...I give you....

TOE TAPPING!

Lighter than tap shoes, and absolutely challenging creatively, we present the latest band role: TOE TAPPER!

One foot for beginners...two for those up for the challenge! You don’t even need to stand up!

Toe tapping, Stomp box connected to an amp. Or bass pedal playing a Cajon. Or my friend and his Banjoey. Brushes on a banjo head, or roots, splash mounted on the head stock. For his acoustic sets.

reminds me of bill brufords symmetrical setup :)

I totally forgot about that kit. Manginis symmetrical kit is cool too.

Wonder how Mangini would feel creatively on Brufords kit and vica-versa? Ya know, since this thread is all silly now anyways.

And since it is, toe tapping plus those electronic sticks from the 80s wired to a speaker. Yeah, those were cool. My mom hated them!

Exactly. Give an artist a pallet with three colors on it and the result will not be to exciting. No mixing. Can't mix tom sounds or cymbal sounds.

Same concept applies to both. By placing limits and not having every or more options you are literally forced to be creative with what you do have. Literally, it's not the size of your kit, or art pallet, it's how you use it. It's also a little confusing that you don't think you can mix paint or tom notes?

Back