Songs That Audiences Really Respond To ?

Brandtwi

I'm in a new band that has 30 original songs that we are polishing up. A few friends have suggested that we throw in 3 or 4 cover tunes when we gig. So for all of y'all out there that gig a lot, what are some of the songs that really get the audience out on the dance floor? Thanks

September.

Depends on the genre of your originals. Actually, it might be ironic-cool to insert some classics in the set anyway, regardless.

Like 'em or not, these are tried & true:

Play That Funky Music White Boy
Brown Eyed Girl
Midnight Hour
What I Like About You
Wooly Booly
Brown Sugar
Jumpin' Jack Flash

And many more

Something simple that makes women want to dance. All we have to do is keep the girls happy and the rest falls into place.

George Michael's "Faith" and Prince's "Kiss" work well in my band. But there are thousands that will get the job done.

You have been well served by the previous posts. Nothing for me to add. :)

Top 2 for me - are Bermuda's first 2. If they don't dance to those, they ain't dancin that night. :)

George Michael's "Faith" and Prince's "Kiss" work well in my band.

Uncle Larry these are pop tunes. Do y'all blues them up? I'd be interested in hearing that.

We did 2 covers when I was gigging. Dethroned Emperor and Supernaut (Celtic Frost and Black Sabbath). Metalheads responded well to these tunes, but obviously a different crowd, so dancing wasn't on anybody's mind when we decided to add these to the set.

Top 2 for me - are Bermuda's first 2. If they don't dance to those, they ain't dancin that night

Even the millennials dance to the old songs. Some songs just have that certain something!

Uncle Larry these are pop tunes. Do y'all blues them up? I'd be interested in hearing that.

No y'all. I play in a cover band that is also a tight blues band. But our blues gigs have all but dried up. I play drums so the women folk can dance. That's my main motivation. But my heart is with the blues. A large percentage of the women folk don't like the blues. Or The Grateful Dead. Womens just want to have fun. They need good dance tunes so they can show off what their mama gave em.

I do have a blues band too but that's a straight ahead Chicago type outfit.

We don't do "Faith" or "Kiss" lol.

Last edited:
First gig this Saturday with my cover band. I’ll report back and let you know which ones go over well. My guess is Jessie’s Girl, 867-5309 and Surrender will work.

Long train running, proud Mary,...

Back