First acoustic kit

RSB100

Im after some advice on best first acoustic kit. I own a electronic kit and am a new drummer (6 months). Im looking for a kit which is good enough to last me for a few years and that I can upgrade parts of as and when needed. I have heard the Pearl Export is very good and have also seen Yamaha Rydeen advertised. Which of these is best and what alternative kits should I look at? Thanks!

I wonder how the Mapex Mars birch compare to birch customs? I have no experience with either. What does TAMA offer in this price range? Heck I got more questions than RSB LOL. No help at all. Sorry.

First, welcome to Drummerworld.

Buy used. Whatever kit (brand) you decide to get, your money will go a lot farther buying used. The two kits you mention, new, puts you in the $400 - $600 dollar range. And that's just for the shell pack (drums only). Add cymbals and hardware ..... you're knocking on the $800 - $1000 door pretty quick. Also .... new heads. The UT heads that entry level kits ship with do not bring out the best in any drum.

If you can find a starter kit used ..... you might be able to walk away with everything (drums, cymbals, hardware) for $300 - $500. Here's a used Export kit with hardware for $250. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pearl-Expo...703142&hash=item1ce05f65e9:g:PNYAAOSwxUJdrwLz

Something like that is a great place to start.

I as well first owned an electronic kit before buying an acoustic. I bought a Pearl Forum off of a young guy who was off to university. I got it home and replaced all the skins after doing a bunch of researching on these forums and the kit sounded way better than with the beat up original stock Pearl skins. I then bought some cymbals after even more research and listening to tons of sound bytes and this kit rocks now. I'm having boatloads of fun and my son who is 7 also has gravitated to the kit and that's made me very, very happy as it gets him off the stinking video games. :)

I as well first owned an electronic kit before buying an acoustic. I bought a Pearl Forum off of a young guy who was off to university. I got it home and replaced all the skins after doing a bunch of researching on these forums and the kit sounded way better than with the beat up original stock Pearl skins. I then bought some cymbals after even more research and listening to tons of sound bytes and this kit rocks now. I'm having boatloads of fun and my son who is 7 also has gravitated to the kit and that's made me very, very happy as it gets him off the stinking video games. :)

I bought a new Pearl Forum back in‘96. It sounds great with good heads and good tuning. The hardware is pretty pitted now, but that’s mostly due to being in a shed for about 10 years. LOL

Simply can't go wrong with an Export. Buy secondhand & you could possibly get everything for the price of a new shellpack :)

I play a Pearl Export drum house kit at open mic. I like it, but Yamaha, Mapex, Ludwig and Sonor make good kits also. I saw a Pearl Export kit at a pawn shop yesterday, asking price USA $ 200. Keep in mind that cymbals are an entirely different thing from drums. Buy better cymbals right from the start. And get a good hi hat stand and throne. Stands and cymbals will likely cost more than drums.

No Way Jose, thanks, Im in UK. The deal seems to be Sabian SBR cymbals with Pearl Export Kit (new) here. Would you say those cymbals are good?

Back