New song our band is working on

Destroyer772

Gold Member
We are still working on original material and this one in particular could be real good. Lot's of bugs to be worked out especially on my end but it's coming along. Just wanted to share with you all and get your thoughts on the song as a whole.

Well first off, it really made me smile, and tap my feet. I tap my feet because I like the song and it sounded pretty good. I smiled because the whole thing , you're drumming the guitar playing the structure of the song reminded me of a original Christian rock band I was with in 80s. I was in my twenties then. Having said that , I think you need another instrument, keyboards, or rhythm guitar to help carry the song when the guitarist is playing leads. All in all I think it's a good song and you guys should keep doing what you're doing.

Lefty man I am so glad you liked it, I think it's got that good feeling vibe too. I feel like we are missing something too, not sure just yet how to bring it up. I have briefly mentioned a rhythm player being useful and I didn't get a positive response. He was considering a singer if his vocals dont work, you cant hear it well here but his singing is not bad. I'm going to mention how some backup on this would really bring it life. Thank you Lefty

I like it. Lots of potential. Singer has decent voice but is not loud enough to understand the words. You have a great work in progress. Good luck and write more.

Lefty man I am so glad you liked it, I think it's got that good feeling vibe too. I feel like we are missing something too, not sure just yet how to bring it up. I have briefly mentioned a rhythm player being useful and I didn't get a positive response. He was considering a singer if his vocals dont work, you cant hear it well here but his singing is not bad. I'm going to mention how some backup on this would really bring it life. Thank you Lefty
Yeah vocals is a must if you bring in a rhythm guitarist or keyboard player. You definitely need more than one person that can sing. Even if they're just backing him up it will add a lot. I can't sing I just like to hit things LOL

I like it. Lots of potential. Singer has decent voice but is not loud enough to understand the words. You have a great work in progress. Good luck and write more.
Thank you johnwesley, we have a focusrite 18i20 and a DAW (Studio one). Some decent recordings are on the way, we have 4 or 5 songs down tight. This one and a few others still need some practice time, I appreciate the encouragement.

It's a good foundation, and has a very enjoyable vibe through the song, but I think it needs further changes in dynamics & sounds to help it build. A change of guitar sound in the chorus, and / or a change of rhythm would provide some differentiation (maybe more of a "chunking" style?). Guitar could benefit from being less saturated in the breakdown too, along with something more supportive on the bass to fill it out.

As for drums, you've got a nice pacy vibe going there, but I think you need some variation to provide a sense of journey. Perhaps consider missing out or reducing frequency of the bass drum "skip" on the "and" in the verses, then keeping them in full time in the chorus. Some syncopated accents on the bridge would help lift too rather than them all being straight ahead.

Overall, this has a great feel, but like in any 3 piece, there needs to be more light, shade, punch, and detail to avoid a monotone delivery.

Great post!!!!!!!

This song structure is totally predictable - and in a good way. That allows your listeners to feel some immediate kinship and familiarity. Even though I couldn't hear a single syllable of the vocals, I still find myself able to hum that song several minutes after listening to it. So, I too think there is potential here.

I especially liked the link between the verse and the chorus. It has a very nice buildup that needs to be emphasized with great dynamics and three-part harmony leading into an energetic, poppy chorus that will be an immediate "hook" that listeners will hang on to.

The good thing here is that this song has all the necessary elements to develop into a keeper. So, keep us posted on your progress. I'm looking forward to seeing how it develops.

GeedeeEmm

This song structure is totally predictable - and in a good way. That allows your listeners to feel some immediate kinship and familiarity.

Absolutely! I remember when my band played out first show this year, and after our set I was listening to the next band with a friend who came to see us. Having never heard the band before, I found myself humming along to their music and being able to follow it. My friend asked if I had heard the band before, to which I said, "no", and then asked how I was able to hum along and follow their music. I said the same thing, that it was predictable - and in a good way.

There's something to be said for music, movies, books, etc., where the end user is able to "know" what's coming up. It's like when I'm watching a movie I've never seen before and I'm able to quote the next line an actor says based on what was said before. To me, that's a sign of good writing.

Sure, there's a time and a place for the arts to be "art" and to be completely fresh, new and unpredictable, but those are reserved for specific times and places, usually when the "art" has stagnated or has become "entertainment". And sure, I love my prog-rock, fusion and even some avant-garde music, but there's something to be said for art that hits the masses immediately, and that usually requires something that the people can "get" right away without having to acquire a taste for.

Absolutely! I remember when my band played out first show this year, and after our set I was listening to the next band with a friend who came to see us. Having never heard the band before, I found myself humming along to their music and being able to follow it. My friend asked if I had heard the band before, to which I said, "no", and then asked how I was able to hum along and follow their music. I said the same thing, that it was predictable - and in a good way.

There's something to be said for music, movies, books, etc., where the end user is able to "know" what's coming up. It's like when I'm watching a movie I've never seen before and I'm able to quote the next line an actor says based on what was said before. To me, that's a sign of good writing.

Sure, there's a time and a place for the arts to be "art" and to be completely fresh, new and unpredictable, but those are reserved for specific times and places, usually when the "art" has stagnated or has become "entertainment". And sure, I love my prog-rock, fusion and even some avant-garde music, but there's something to be said for art that hits the masses immediately, and that usually requires something that the people can "get" right away without having to acquire a taste for.
We must be living in each other's heads!

GeeDeeEmm

Thank all of you for the kind words, your advice is greatly appreciated and I will pass it along to the guy's.
Andy, great Idea on switching up the groove "I knew I could count on you for help" your thought's are always very helpful to me.

Back