Ugly or not?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Plus we are seeing it in daylight and not stage lighting which may change a few opinions.

I had other thoughts about the red one... yep, I went there.

String infection?

I like the red better than the blue, but I think they are both gross.

The blue almost makes me dizzy if I stare at it for too long.

I loathe burst and fade finishes, like... every single one of every brand. I think it’s cheap.

usually only like one color with wood stain or a print/sparkly thing maybe. Somehow I do really love this finish. I imagine from far it looks a bit like standard sparkle. I love the small colors

I loathe burst and fade finishes, like... every single one of every brand. I think it’s cheap.

usually only like one color with wood stain or a print/sparkly thing maybe. Somehow I do really love this finish. I imagine from far it looks a bit like standard sparkle. I love the small colors

Why not a combination of a fade AND its natural grain underneath it being visible.

104254088_10223166076679872_1062620899745544931_o.jpg

I dig it.

Well Steve Maxwell likes it so that's all that matters to him. He's the one whose got to live with that decision-I wonder how they are selling for him? I'm sure he could care less of our opinions but nonetheless here we are-when it should be "hear" we are because it's still that Great Gretsch Sound. It's funny a finish may draw me to a drum kit but once in possession I never notice or look at them.

I like them. Definitely don't look ugly to me at all. The pattern of the wrap looks sort of like the stars of the universe. I like them. But then again, I'm a sucker for nostalgia. My kit is from 1975 and is White Marine Pearl.

Everything has it's place., right?

I thought at some point that Eddie's frankenstrat and later Steve Vai's guitars and wardrobe was the coolest thing ever

Bruce Lee and Tony yellow....

When it comes to finish on instruments you can probably get away with almost anything these days regardless of musical situation.

I do know that If I had several kits I'd want them to look different just to inspire different moods.

I like it but it looks ... off. It reminds me of the discontinue Black Halo Glitter finish from Pearl.
1603502672547.png
I think the glitter on the Gretsch tom looks weird with the different sizes to me and less shiny, but other than that. It looks great.

I like it but it looks ... off. It reminds me of the discontinue Black Halo Glitter finish from Pearl.
View attachment 97190
I think the glitter on the Gretsch tom looks weird with the different sizes to me and less shiny, but other than that. It looks great.
As you note the sizes, that’s because there’s confetti in different scales. No shine because confetti is fixed color. I think he did a good job.
The original Mardi Gras was pure confetti in large and small scales, all fixed colors. Maybe a little more larger bits in the original. I want a Holiday Mardi Gras so much.

The black halo glitter is a lacquer. Normal color tone is black with grey sparkles in a dim or low light setting, when light hits, glitter is activated and prism of color scheme that shows, very beautiful as you see in your pic above. Really a stunning finish as well.

Last edited:
When I was a kid, mid 60s there was a music store IIRC in Lynnwood Washington that I used to go to occasionally (I was still a drum pad student at this point...) in the middle of the showroom at this store on a round riser with red velvet tablecloth was a set of Gretsch Marti Gras wrap... I remember asking the salesman what that wrap was called, that was the coolest set I had ever seen and it still rates right up there in my mind. I think about that set from time to time... like 15-20 minutes ago. Cool store.

Last edited:
3 years after the start of this post and it still reminds me of 1970’s bowling balls and bowling alley linoleum 🤮😉🤮.View attachment 125056
I love that floor! The wife wouldn't have tho.

I like that naive modernist aesthetic so would snap up one of the gretsch kit in the unlikely event I could buy one. Looks like they didn't quite hit the mark with the flakes being a bit too saturated colour wise

Regarding white marine pearl; First kit I saw in WMP I loved the look of and that was with no past reference to it

Ugly!
Looks like the last thing you see when you come home drunk and you're about to throw up.

Back