Does quality normally match the social media following?

Jayson

I've seen some websites with a low following - even after many years probably - and I'm guessing the quality is good. Well, not everyone has put money into marketing - and marketing on the net is quite expensive - but probably do-able if the desire is strong enough, even for a low-income person.

High-powered Free Social Media Marketing?

I'm guessing it doesn't work - even for good stuff, normally.

No. Almost never. Quantity over quality, social media marketing over talent, followers over everything else. THAT is the attitude of the modern age. There are many drummers I know, even talk failry often with that seem to want to make a joke montage, YouTube videos that will get followers, or goofy videos that get likes. Every social media post is designed to get engagements, ending it with "What do YOU think?" to try and get people to comment. It's annoying. Just play the drums and have fun. When you are spending more time video editing than drumming it will also show when you play live. I see so many videos that have been edited to the point I could take a non drummer, have them play REALLY bad, and cut them in 1000 times to make it look like they are perfect too. RANT OVER. lol

No. Almost never. Quantity over quality, social media marketing over talent, followers over everything else. THAT is the attitude of the modern age. There are many drummers I know, even talk failry often with that seem to want to make a joke montage, YouTube videos that will get followers, or goofy videos that get likes. Every social media post is designed to get engagements, ending it with "What do YOU think?" to try and get people to comment. It's annoying. Just play the drums and have fun. When you are spending more time video editing than drumming it will also show when you play live. I see so many videos that have been edited to the point I could take a non drummer, have them play REALLY bad, and cut them in 1000 times to make it look like they are perfect too. RANT OVER. lol

Shouldn't be no editing. If something is bad on video, then make another video.

That's the point, with enough editing everybody can look great. That's what it's all about now, it's all "Look at ME!!! See how cool I am!!!" No one wants to watch a crappy video, or a nice video of crappy playing. So work on editing, drums can be fixed, if all that is sought are likes and subscribers. That's how to make money these days. Hard work and practice, pffft! That can be edited in.

Odd if it isn't quality why so many following on social media-seems paradoxical don't it? Is it a reflection of the drummer or social media having chips for taste? Oh good point "popular" doesn't mean "best" like the dude with the huge forehead who is best at improvisation. He's the best but not popular-sounds like Buddy the Elf and the "Best cup of coffee". So the best and most popular can be really crappy-or maybe it's multiverses of possible outcomes of chips to epic-so somewhere in the universe it's really bad and really good. Gosh I like that-I'm a drummer Demi-god in some galaxy far far away.

The angst over "trending" being the magic pill for this generation is pretty sad. So how to shift it to substance instead will be the key.

I've wondered what the career path or gigging scene would be like for some people if YouTube and social media sudddendy ceased to exist. How would they proceed?

On another note... I think Charlie the Unicorn is one of the greatest artistic contributions that the 'brave new world' of the internet has given us ; )

Last edited:
- and marketing on the net is quite expensive -

Not in my experience. I find it dirt cheap. We used to pay $15k-$25k for a one time full page ad that might get seen by 50k people. Now I can hit 50k targeted people for less than $500. So when you add that $50k per unit sold it add substantially inside the total cost of that product. So by spending lots less for marketing companies are keeping prices lower than they otherwise would need to be.

That's my point. In a "how to" video I'll cut out pauses to keep the times down, but in a cover I put on one camera and play it. I have recorded albums like that. Screw up in the last 5 seconds of a 5 minute song? START OVER. It's humbling and makes you a better player. These days anyone can punch in every bar and play something for 3 seconds. Pretty sure doing a blast beat at 270BPM is possible for most if you only need to do it for a few seconds then cut and paste, better yet, take some samples and program it.
I've wondered what the career path or gigging scene would be like for some people if YouTube and social media sudddendy ceased to exist. How would they proceed?

On another note... I think Charlie the Unicorn is one of the greatest artistic contributions that the 'brave new world' of the internet has given us.

Exactly my point. They don't have one. They are "YouTube and Insta musicians". Granted. some of these guys can play. Not EVERY one is like this, but many are. I witnessed a band I'll leave nameless in here. It sticks with me because their album sounded SOOO good. I was pumped to see them. Until the first 30 seconds of their set when they were awful. A buddy who played with them in another city confirmed the same thing. Fast forward, they just punched in and edited to the point they sounded great. What did it get them? a good sounding album, an empty room for their gigs, and even less the next time they play this or any city.

You can't punch in and edit when people are in the room. You can't fake your way past a set live.

And sorry GetaGrippa, that made almost zero sense. haha

On another note... I think Charlie the Unicorn is one of the greatest artistic contributions that the 'brave new world' of the internet has given us.
I always think the opposite,

How much different my playing career might have been had social media existed in my 20s.

it would be like it was for 1000 years up until 2011...people would have to work to earn the title "professional" and get gigs with actually being social, and having well developed chops, timing and style knowledge.

I like Tommy Igoe blasting IG drummers for just blasting edited videos of them playing chops.

I like Tommy Igoe blasting IG drummers for just blasting edited videos of them playing chops.
He's certainly been pulling no punches lately.
A post on Facebook a few days ago was in-your-face truth in regards to the lie being told to "believe in youself and it'll just happen for you" from self help peddlers. Tommy's rebuttal to that nonsense was delivered like a shotgun. Best motivational speech I've heard in years.

Last edited:
It's change and nothing we can do about it. I've decided to just embrace it rather than gripe about it because it's reality now. Technology has changed everything and broken all barriers so you can stream live to the whole planet. You could just generate musicians for video, generate audio, and produce an album all with computer generated imagery/fidelity-though none based on any real person. You can play all the instruments and be the whole band-as some really do but you could just as easily fake it. It's the same with research the technology gets to the point it's too easy to just generate data now-so lots of fraud cases in science exposed now. We could generate the DrummerWorld All Star band with virtual band members and the drummer a mix of all the members here. What makes things popular on social media are an enigma and probably some social scientist studying it.

He's certainly been pulling no punches lately.
A post on Facebook a few days ago was in-your-face truth in regards to the lie being told to "believe in youself and it'll just happen for you" from self help peddlers. Tommy's rebuttal to that nonsense was delivered like a shotgun. Best motivational speech I've heard in years.

bblechh... that combination of words is probably some of the worst in the past 30 years, and definitely the reason for many of the problems we have now-a-days. Good for him!!

Now you kids get off my lawn!!

Back