Guru Drums retrospective album (Final update 2017 onwards)

Andy

Honorary Member
As promised, and as a huge thank you to all who have supported across the years, this thread features selected historical pictures of the drums and people involved in the Guru journey, as well as some behind the scenes stuff. As the seeds were sown on this forum, I think it's fitting that the journey is recorded here too :)

This first picture set is from 2013 & earlier, including selected development detail. I'll update with further years 2014 up to closure early 2019 over the coming weeks.

Maybe you'll spot some forum members & other industry personalities along the way :)

Andy.

Driftwood oak.jpgguru 4 piece.jpglathe.jpgPrototype studio.jpgFloyd -).jpgKenny.jpgJoe Morris.jpgproto1-1.jpgOrigin lug evolution 900.jpgTop plate redacted 900.jpg

Last edited:
Wow what a great way to wake up. Andy thanks man for putting all this together. I'm really glad you are doing this. Keeping the Guru legacy alive is a great thing to do at this point. I don't wish to see the Guru name buried in obscurity.

The 2013 photo brings back fond memories.
It's cool when you think about it...because of DrummerWorld, Bernhard in particular, people from all over came together in London under the Guru flag.
Very cool. You must be proud.

Wow what a great way to wake up. Andy thanks man for putting all this together. I'm really glad you are doing this. Keeping the Guru legacy alive is a great thing to do at this point. I don't wish to see the Guru name buried in obscurity.
My pleasure Larry, & I'll add more years to this thread as soon as I can get to it (takes a while to process photo's so they're acceptable for forum upload).

As for eventual obscurity, I think that's pretty much guaranteed outside of a select few. The bitter price of forced curtailment :(

The 2013 photo brings back fond memories.
It's cool when you think about it...because of DrummerWorld, Bernhard in particular, people from all over came together in London under the Guru flag.
Very cool. You must be proud.
Very proud! That year was a very cool get together :)

There are 2 people in that photo that I don't recall who they are. The guy between David and Ben, and also the guy between David and Dean. Who are they?
The rest left to right: Andy, Jon, me, Grea, Ben, Madge, ?, Glyn, David, ?, Dean, Henri.

Last edited:
Some great pics there Andy. Had never seen the older stuff. Not to minimize any about your work, but man I dig that big lathe that made turning the shells possible. That thing is just impressive!

Love the pics with history too, but sadly, I only recognize Yolanda. Yes, I do live in a cave!

Fantastic pics and memories Andy. Is that segmented Ash / Ovangkol shell my Intense snare?
I've attached some gig pics of my trusty Tours, and a shot of the live room from a recording. They sounded fantastic in there!

Attachments

• 20171110_132010.jpg
    20171110_132010.jpg
    367.7 KB · Views: 25
  • 20160212_212036.jpg
    20160212_212036.jpg
    868.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 20160730_194420.jpg
    20160730_194420.jpg
    427.7 KB · Views: 25
  • 20171103_205343.jpg
    20171103_205343.jpg
    298.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 20161217_221809.jpg
    20161217_221809.jpg
    429.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 20171103_205412 - Copy.jpg
    20171103_205412 - Copy.jpg
    428.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 20170917_133723 - Copy.jpg
    20170917_133723 - Copy.jpg
    520.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 20170513_141008 - Copy.jpg
    20170513_141008 - Copy.jpg
    347.9 KB · Views: 24
There are 2 people in that photo that I don't recall who they are. The guy between David and Ben, and also the guy between David and Dean. Who are they?
The rest left to right: Andy, Jon, me, Grea, Ben, Madge, ?, Glyn, David, ?, Dean, Henri.
Honestly Larry, to my shame, I've forgotten their names (either real life or forum usernames).
Some great pics there Andy. Had never seen the older stuff. Not to minimize any about your work, but man I dig that big lathe that made turning the shells possible. That thing is just impressive!

Love the pics with history too, but sadly, I only recognize Yolanda. Yes, I do live in a cave!
Hahaha - you realise not recognising Kenny Jones, Nick Mason, Michele Drees, & Joe Morris constitutes a forum crime of significant magnitude? There's more people to feature in the next few "year" albums for you to not recognise too ;)

Yes - the mother of all shell turning lathes!!!

Fantastic pics and memories Andy. Is that segmented Ash / Ovangkol shell my Intense snare?
I've attached some gig pics of my trusty Tours, and a shot of the live room from a recording. They sounded fantastic in there!
Not your shell unfortunately = much earlier (around 2012 I think). Some great kit shots there :)

Hahaha - you realise not recognising Kenny Jones, Nick Mason, Michele Drees, & Joe Morris constitutes a forum crime of significant magnitude? There's more people to feature in the next few "year" albums for you to not recognise too ;)

I stood in a line at my bank immediately behind Chuck Norris once. He requested his privacy be respected, when everyone went nuts. I honored that. In contrast, I told a big shot news anchor who was too high on himself and wanted special privileges to get back to the back of the line and wait his turn. Do those count for redeeming my forum crimes? LOL!!!

Wow Andy loving the pics-I know it's an emotional journey-both joyful and sad you do this-so thanks! For some reason I thought Guru was around a lot longer-it started before 2013 didn't it? Some beautifully engineered and well made drums. The timpanic bearing edge comes to mind as just one innovation. Very methodical in studying and building drums-bravo!!!

Thank you Andy for everything you have done for the art of Drum making and this forum. You are "in a sense" our Guru.

Amen. Andy, even though we have never met, you have always struck me as the perfect blend of Renaissance Man, English Gentleman, and consummate artisan.

Thanks for posting the photos. Thanks for your masterpiece instruments. What a legacy!

Back