New member greeting, going back to drums after long hiatus.

Arkansmay

Hey everyone!
New guy around here hoping to make a place for myself on the forum. Long time lurker.
48 years old, and haven't played with regularity since the 90's. Havent owned drums in that long and decided to get back into it and maybe even get some technical training in my old age and get some formal lessons.

New drums on the way and very excited!
I love and appreciate all kinds of music, but my main tastes lean indie rock, anything messy, punk, alternative, synth...80's...along with rock classics of certain kinds lol.

Anyway, nice to be here and hopefully I will not harrass with too many questions!

"48 years old"

"in my old age"
Do not compute - Please choose one option ;)

Welcome back to the world of groove!!!!!

Before you ask any questions, here's some answers to get you started.

1/ If it sounds good when you play it, & you can afford it, buy it.
2/ If the music sounds good, you're doing just fine.
3/ It'll take a while to blow the rust off - be patient with yourself.
4/ There is no such thing as best in music.
5/ Keep it simple.
6/ If you're having fun, so will your audience.

Hey everyone!
New guy around here hoping to make a place for myself on the forum. Long time lurker.
48 years old, and haven't played with regularity since the 90's. Havent owned drums in that long and decided to get back into it and maybe even get some technical training in my old age and get some formal lessons.

New drums on the way and very excited!
I love and appreciate all kinds of music, but my main tastes lean indie rock, anything messy, punk, alternative, synth...80's...along with rock classics of certain kinds lol.

Anyway, nice to be here and hopefully I will not harrass with too many questions!

Welcome back ! Turning 53 this week and started back up on the kit ( about two years ago now) after a long hiatus
( early to mid 90’s) . Lotsa fun and frustrating at the same time lol ! I’m a shell ( pun intended) of my former self and don’t know if I’ll ever get back to where I was but having fun trying .

New drums coming ??? Do tell .......

Welcome back ! Turning 53 this week and started back up on the kit ( about two years ago now) after a long hiatus
( early to mid 90’s) . Lotsa fun and frustrating at the same time lol ! I’m a shell ( pun intended) of my former self and don’t know if I’ll ever get back to where I was but having fun trying .

New drums coming ??? Do tell .......

Well I did the standard new guy thing and went with a Yamaha Stage Custom Birch shell kit in the Amber, 600 series hardware kit, and Zildjian A 391 cymbal pack.
I believe I will be happy with this choice of kit according to my research, and it's for sure nicer than anything I ever owned before.

Super stoked!

Hi Arkansmay and welcome to DW. Ask all the questions you like and we here will try to answer to the best of are ability's.

So funny I found this thread, over 50 and have been wanting to get back to drumming for some time. I have done a bit of DJ work but have not drummed in a long time. I am close to pulling the trigger myself. Glad to hear you are getting back into it.

Welcome to DW!!! 48-50 is probably the mean age here-not that we are mean but you know what I mean-oh hell now I'm confused. Anyways my hypothesis is that all drummers come from a common ancestor-it may not be a modern man but some archaic man. So I'll need a blood or cheek sample (either) for DNA testing for the DW Human Genome project I'm heading up. I was going to publish it in Modern Drummer but now I'm going for Science magazine. I bet I isolate the "drum" gene that gene copy number or length of gene (like a dog's snout) determines how good you are because it's all genetic (we are just a big bag of genes with no free will and it has nothing to do with practice or even understanding music you inherit your drum skills). Nah just kidding but I was on a "roll" and that is some of the nonsense being espoused bysome nowadays. Welcome again. But there is some primal drive that all us drummers seem to have-maybe there is some genetic component but environment really determines expression-so it has to be cultivated. You may feel like a duck out of water when back on the kit-after a long hiatus I sure did. I use to play traditional but when I returned took up matched-in fact everything changed.

Sounds like you picked out a nice kit, hardware and cymbals. Our work here is done, and you haven't even asked us anything, yet.

Welcome to Drummerworld.

Maybe I should start my own thread, but it'd almost be a dupe so I'll just reply here.

I'm 51 and I also basically stopped playing in the early to mid 90s. I played from 11yo and my high school had a really great marching band program (all brass, no woodwinds, drum line was 6 snares, 3 tenors, 5 bass) and I did drum corps as well. I was in a few garage bands as well. I was actually inspired to pick it up again because my teenage daughter, who plays cello and guitar, wanted me to teach her drums.

A month ago I got a new, leftover Tama Starclassic B/B kit and I've started taking lessons myself. I feel like I'm doing pretty well on rudiments, considering and I'm ok keeping a beat on the set, but anything resembling a fill is just a mess. I also really need to work on limb independence.

Anyway, I'm glad I'm not the only one trying to come back.

Back