Wow Renowns record so nicely

CYP47

I finally got a chance to record my Renowns and wow is all I can say. They record so nicely, I have one drumtac on the FT, nothing else on any other toms and they all sound so full and warm. Absolutely love them. Now if I could only find a 16" FT I'd be extremely happy.

There’s a set of them by me but no 16. I really want them but dude’s asking 1000. 8,10,12,14,22
He won’t come down and they have been for sale for a year

That seems high. You can find them cheaper on Reverb. Those sizes are the same thing I have so I am guessing they are also the all North American maple shells, the later ones I think have a mix of Asian and North American Maple.

I finally got a chance to record my Renowns and wow is all I can say. They record so nicely, I have one drumtac on the FT, nothing else on any other toms and they all sound so full and warm. Absolutely love them. Now if I could only find a 16" FT I'd be extremely happy.

That's a good looking kit, congratulation's. I have a set of Walnut Renown's and they record well too.

Coated emperor on top and coated ambassador on bottom. Buttery smooth.. Thats a Gretsch USA Bronze snare 14x6.5
I've been thinking about using Coated Ambassadors resonants on the toms to keep the extra resonance in check. Is this why you're using coated on the bottoms? If so, did it noticeably shorten the note a little?

Last edited:
I've been thinking about using Coated Ambassadors resonants on the toms to keep the extra resonance in check. Is this why you're using coated on the bottoms? If so, did it noticeably shorten the note a little?
Just enough. Its still there but its very pleasing to my ears. I kind of think of it like a bouncy pillow sound. Ill try and get a sound file example tomorrow so you can get an idea.

I finally got a chance to record my Renowns
Are they the original Renowns from a few years back? Those were pretty much identical to USA Custom, but made in Asia, and they tended to have higher quality at the time. The only thing the USA Custom had over them was the really nice finishes.

I have the newer version - RN2 - Renown set and I am super impressed with them in every way. The hardware is as good as it gets, the wrap is best I've ever seen, shell quality great & they sound great. I think they are one of the best buys on the market and a real sleeper. I also have a Gretsch USA Custom kit & a Yamaha Recording Custom kit, so I know top of the line. I think they get overlooked is because Gretsch is all about the "old" sound and the Renown is more of a new modern product.
When Drum Center of Portsmouth did their Gretsch comparison Youtube video, they didn't include them and when I complained the owner told me "Renowns are newer & made of cheaper materials". They are newer but NO cheap parts are used. They have the same 302 hoops as the Broadkaster & Brooklyn & they have the "silver sealer" inside the shells. Yet when they did the Yamaha comparison they included the $650 Stage Customs (& they do use cheap hardware). I don't understand the discrimination against them.

Are they the original Renowns from a few years back? Those were pretty much identical to USA Custom, but made in Asia, and they tended to have higher quality at the time. The only thing the USA Custom had over them was the really nice finishes.
Yup, all North America maple. Great sounding drums

I have the newer version - RN2 - Renown set and I am super impressed with them in every way. The hardware is as good as it gets, the wrap is best I've ever seen, shell quality great & they sound great. I think they are one of the best buys on the market and a real sleeper. I also have a Gretsch USA Custom kit & a Yamaha Recording Custom kit, so I know top of the line. I think they get overlooked is because Gretsch is all about the "old" sound and the Renown is more of a new modern product.
When Drum Center of Portsmouth did their Gretsch comparison Youtube video, they didn't include them and when I complained the owner told me "Renowns are newer & made of cheaper materials". They are newer but NO cheap parts are used. They have the same 302 hoops as the Broadkaster & Brooklyn & they have the "silver sealer" inside the shells. Yet when they did the Yamaha comparison they included the $650 Stage Customs (& they do use cheap hardware). I don't understand the discrimination against them.
I have never been a fan of that shop

Well, they are basically USA Customs, which almost everybody back in the day used in the studio, regardless of who they endorses, because they record so well.

Recordings Customs and Starclassics both share a lot with those drums as well.

Though not made the same way I think eve PHX shares a lot with USA customs in regards to the frequencues that come forward, too. They're just a bit cleaner. Too clean for some.

When Drum Center of Portsmouth did their Gretsch comparison Youtube video, they didn't include them and when I complained the owner told me "Renowns are newer & made of cheaper materials".

That's odd, isn't it? I've owned the really expensive drum kits, too, and I'd rank the "RN1" kits (the only ones I've played so far) as easily being on that level of quality and sound. I haven't seen a single feature on the older Renown kits that I'd change - outside of the RIMS mounts. (I use RIMS on one of my kits because they work exactly as advertised, but I hate the looks.) The fit and finish of the Renowns I've seen were truly professional level.

There are really only a few drum kits that I'd like to own and play before this life comes to an end, and the RN1 kit is one of them. I know that the 302 hoops are just fine, but I've always linked Gretsch with those lovely cast hoops they're known for, and the RN1 offers that as one of the features I like.

GeeDeeEmm

I would have to disagree. I did a side-by-side comparison a few years ago. The Yamaha Phoenix drums are nothing like Gretsch. Apples and Oranges.

Not the same drum, but a similar upper mid that cuts through was all I was saying

Back